Gransnet forums

Relationships

done a silly thing......

(11 Posts)
supergirlsnan Thu 22-Aug-19 17:03:00

Hi, am a sensible, kind and decent person and as such can't believe how silly I've been. I can't give too many details as possibly outing but have caused an enormous problem with my DH and his daughter. She is an adult, at least officially,but acts and is allowed to act like a teenager. As I can't give more details and so no-one can offer advice I just wanted to offload and ask is there anyone else who 'never learns'? Thanks for reading.

Madgran77 Thu 22-Aug-19 17:15:51

Well I do learn but sometimes don't remember what I have learnt until after I have repeated the mistake!! Hope all works out for you!

sodapop Thu 22-Aug-19 18:17:48

I know how you feel supergirlsnan I've lost count of the times I've opened my mouth without engaging my brain. I have learned its better to admit I'm at fault straight away and make amends rather than trying to waffle out of it.
I hope you can put things right with your family. Good luck.

love0c Thu 22-Aug-19 18:45:35

Just say how terribly sorry you are that whatever it is you have said or done has caused trouble between them both. Say it was the very last thing you wanted to do. Tell them individually and /or together. We all do silly/misguided things. It is called being human. Hope it all sorts itself out.

BradfordLass72 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:05:09

My mother in law used to say about any personal disaster, 'Oh well, it'll all be the same in 100 years.'

In other words, time usually heals all ills.

It may well be that what seems like a disaster now, opens a window for recognising dysfunctional behaviour and thus allows for change.

Minniemoo Fri 23-Aug-19 12:43:45

This will pass. As grandma always used to say. She was right as well!

supergirlsnan Fri 23-Aug-19 16:32:53

Thank you for your replies. Am a new poster but long time reader!

SirChenjin Fri 23-Aug-19 17:33:25

All the time. Things sound a lot funnier in my head than they do when I say them out loud - and then I find myself obsessing over why the hell I said what I did.

I hope whatever you've done is soon mended. Can you apologise profusely and try and move past it?

Razzmatazz123 Fri 23-Aug-19 22:38:30

Whatever it was, offer a genuine apology, be completely accountable and make an effort to change that behaviour. Good luck

Joyfulnanna Fri 23-Aug-19 23:21:09

I'm with Razz on that one. Apologise quickly too x

Tangerine Fri 23-Aug-19 23:23:56

If you were in the wrong, apologise without reservation.

We all say ill-advised things sometimes, even if we don't like to admit to it.