Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband not interested in computer

(15 Posts)
mamamags Thu 07-Nov-19 14:15:01

I am by no means a technical genius but have always shown an interest in computers
I can send and receive emails, am a member of Facebook, and have set up several apps to make life easier as we both are approaching the autumn years of our lives. I do all of our online banking, shopping and doctor’s surgery appointments and prescriptions etc,
The problem is my hubby has never been interested in computers and still does things, in his own words, the old fashioned way.
My worry is that if anything was to happen to me how would he cope afterwards.
I have tried to show him the basics but he is just not interested.

Gonegirl Thu 07-Nov-19 14:18:33

I wouldn't worry about it. He will just have to learn, or do the best he can.

My DH can cope with the lot of it if I go first. Least of my worries tbh.

kittylester Thu 07-Nov-19 14:36:25

Do you have children or someone you can trust to help him?

I am fairly computer savvy but dh does all our banking and has left copious written instructions (inc pass words etc) in the safe. He updates it regularly so I can take over if necessary.

M0nica Thu 07-Nov-19 15:02:19

DDil's mother doesn't use computers. She has shown mild interest in the past but never really engaged.

She has few if any problems, she can do whatever she wants to do without using a computer, pays bills by Direct Debit, deals with car tax etc over the counter in the Post Office.

I am not sure why she is so disinclined to use a computer, she is still very much on the ball mentally and physically and leads a busy life.

She is a widow,so cannot depend on a husband to sort it out for her, although her DDs and Sils do odd things for her now and again.

Callistemon Thu 07-Nov-19 15:10:54

Don't worry, my Sis-IL is now on her own and the first thing she got rid of was her partner's PC.

Although she must have used one of the very first computers, she is just not interested and has no problems doing everything in the old-fashioned way.

MawB Thu 07-Nov-19 15:39:53

Why on earth should this be a problem?
I am sure he would cope well enough the “old way” unless you are planning to friary in the immediate future?
Do you have grown up children who could come to his rescue on that eventuality?
I do think it is good if partners are self reliant, that women should not leave all the driving/financial affairs/DIY to their menfolk, but horses for courses- in other words, each to their own.

MawB Thu 07-Nov-19 15:41:02

“Friary” ???
“Depart”
Bliddy predictive text.

ninathenana Thu 07-Nov-19 16:03:56

DH would need the assistance of our children. We don't do online banking and all bills are paid by DD but he wouldn't know who too or how much. I'm the one who checks the bank statements. I book holidays, restaurants. He does no admin.
I shop a fair bit on line and have to order for him anything he sees. Only this morning he asked me to "call" the surgery to renew his prescription which meant I had to e-mail them. We have on various occasions tried to show him. He has my old smart phone but can't even send a text and only calls and plays solitaire using it.

Sillygrandma5GK Thu 07-Nov-19 16:49:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cornergran Thu 07-Nov-19 17:34:36

I think we share a husband nina. Interestingly he used to be the family ‘expert’ but he says he simply doesn’t want to keep up with it all. He’s convinced he would work it out if he had to and of course the family would help him. For now the control remains mine smile.

mamamags Thu 07-Nov-19 20:14:27

Fortunately for us we do have a son and daughter who are quite techy. I have made a file of all the codes and passwords that they keep in a safe place.

Good job I had the sense to keep a copy for my own use as remembering my passwords is the Bain of my life, but I will close there as I could write a complete chapter on forgetful moments ???

Tangerine Thu 07-Nov-19 22:22:55

If anything happens to you and he needs to use the computer, he can take advantage of the lessons they offer at places such as the library.

Perhaps a friend or relation would show him.

If he's forced to use the computer because you aren't there, he'll have to be proactive.

Maybe he'll manage without.

Cabbie21 Thu 07-Nov-19 23:30:30

Although I am quite computer savvy, I am not too interested in a lot of the new technology that is around ( Hive, Alexa etc) so I have some sympathy with him. I guess we reach a point where we don’t want to bother with anything new. I do sometimes wonder, in ten years time, when I still plan to be around, what I will need to learn. Maybe I will take the same view that I can’t be bothered, though I can’t imagine being without the internet and my laptop and iPad.

FarNorth Thu 07-Nov-19 23:55:52

As long as you've got all the important info where he can get it, and help available, he'll just have to figure it out.
He may go back to the old-fashioned way then but so what.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Nov-19 12:54:31

He will cope if he ever needs to.

As long as I can remember my father left everything to do with paying bills, banking and Income tax to my mother. She died seven years before he did and a couple of days after her funeral, he had been to the bank, worked out a budget with them and set up direct debits for paying all bills before he withdrew his housekeeping money for the month.

I was greatly relieved as I had anticipated having tactfully to persuade him to do all that.