Gransnet forums

Relationships

Trouble with SIL

(10 Posts)
Londonwifi Mon 06-Jan-20 20:40:29

How do I cope with an extremely matriarchal SIL? She spreads gossip to all her friends. What she doesn’t know she makes up. She is really nasty when talking about her son’s partner (who is a friend of mine and very nice). SIL just doesn’t know where to draw the line. She seems to me to be very sad, she lost a daughter to CF a long time ago and one of her babies only lived a few days. She should be a mum of 3 but is mum of 1.
Relatives use this as an excuse for her behaviour and they tiptoe round her which just fuels her controlling behaviour. I could write a book. Just fed up with her. I have had a lot of sadness in my life too but I try to be nice and approachable, sociable etc. What to do? I really don’t want her in my life but I don’t want to make things difficult for my husband. She is his sister after all.

Namsnanny Mon 06-Jan-20 21:19:22

Londonwifi… Do you have to spend much time with her?

Londonwifi Mon 06-Jan-20 22:11:59

Once every 4 weeks. I know that isn’t a lot but it is difficult to sit there and listen while she berates people close to me, Namsnanny.

notanan2 Mon 06-Jan-20 22:20:38

To be honest she doesnt sound very subtle, so people will likely take whatever she says about you with a huge pinch of salt so I wouldnt worry about that aspect.

Do you really need to do anything? Shes your DHs sister so how much or little he sees of her is up to him, unless shes in your house a lot then just leave them to it?

notanan2 Mon 06-Jan-20 22:23:28

It sounds like she badmouths everyone so I wouldnt take it personally and I also wouldnt get upset on other peoples behalf especially if they themselves shrug off her behaviour.

Its not worth getting worked up about. Try to do what others do, let it wash over and be glad you have better social skills and coping mechanisms than her.

Newquay Mon 06-Jan-20 23:24:33

Leave her to your DH-I take “responsibility” for my family and try to encourage DH to do the same

gmarie Tue 07-Jan-20 00:25:58

Agree with the other posters. I might also, from time to time, offer up a little comment like, "Oh, I don't find him/her to be that way at all" in a light tone with a smile and then just let it go.

Madgran77 Tue 07-Jan-20 06:01:04

I found my BIL very difficult. When we all spent time together I would be polite, provide food if in our house and leave my husband and brother to it as much as possible. If he was being rude about someone I knew in my presence my stock replies were along the lines of "That has never been my experience with *! They were so helpful when …..!" And did not enter into further debate.

TwiceAsNice Tue 07-Jan-20 06:10:54

I agree with everyone else but if she said something really awful especially if you knew it to be untrue I might have to say “ why do you feel the need to say something so unpleasant”. Perhaps nobody ever challenges her and they should

Londonwifi Tue 07-Jan-20 17:56:43

@TwiceAsNice
I agree with you TwiceAsNice. I think I will challenge her but politely.