Gransnet forums

Relationships

Neighbours and friends’ behaviour during lockdown,

(22 Posts)
Londonwifi Fri 01-May-20 20:07:40

Our neighbours whom we share a drive with have moved themselves and their baby down to live with her parents about 50/60 miles away. Meanwhile, the husband’s parents come round to their house frequently to do the garden etc. The mother tried to engage my husband in conversation, admitted
she was recovering from a virus, kept coughing in his direction without covering her mouth and I had to go out and tell him to keep to a suitable distance! Our neighbour on the other side - his married daughter keeps coming round daily!
My husband’s friend tried to say he would be coming round to see us to deliver something non essential. He would have to travel around 16/18 miles to get here. My husband said that would be ok until I said absolutely no. He emailed his friend back and said I didn’t want him coming over - so I won’t be popular. My question is this. What on earth is wrong with people?? Do they not care about repressing this virus because I certainly do?!?

MissAdventure Fri 01-May-20 20:13:11

It's a very prickly subject.
I'll say no more lest I'm called a snitch or curtain twitcher. smile

Londonwifi Fri 01-May-20 20:21:32

grin

Londonwifi Fri 01-May-20 20:23:15

Missadventure - and Cornwall have been saying all along they want visitors to return home to their own towns!

Chewbacca Fri 01-May-20 21:01:21

Our neighbour on the other side - his married daughter keeps coming round daily!

Could it be that your neighbour is shielding and relies on his daughter to bring him food and medicine? Or does he have special needs that requires him to be checked daily by his daughter?

As for your other neighbour's parents coming round to do their garden; if they're within walking distance or not driving too far it could be a part of their daily excercise, why is it a problem for them to be in a garden, away from everyone else? If you're worried about them coughing; keep away from the fence when they're around.

Londonwifi Sat 02-May-20 10:07:08

Chewbacca. No he is not shielding and does not have special needs. He is a key worker and as such shouldn’t be mixing with his daughter at the moment who lives with her husband and young children.
As you say the other neighbours parents shouldn’t be a problem but they are. Yes, it should be simple to keep a safe distance from them but tell that to my husband! smile

SirChenjin Sat 02-May-20 10:13:44

I agree with you but some people seem to think that any curtailment of their ability to see their family and friends is akin to living in Nazi Germany, instead preferring to rely on everyone else to reduce the reproductive rate. It’s a bit like the anti vaxxers who rely on everyone else immunising their children.

Our neighbour’s adult daughter arrives every Friday night and stays for the weekend. Parents are both in their mid fifties with no health issues. The wine gets cracked open in the garden and off they go - and meanwhile the rest of us are doing as the Govt tells us.

BBbevan Sun 03-May-20 09:59:20

Neighbours have just had visitors for the weekend.She works in a care home. Enough said !!!!!

chelseababy Sun 03-May-20 10:06:53

Sounds like a problem with your husband as much as neighbours and friend who wanted to bring something over.

Fiachna50 Sun 03-May-20 10:48:57

To be honest these types of scenarios are going on everywhere, but you will see them all out on a Thursday night. I have decided myself and my family are following the rules, other folk either do or they don't. At the end of the day, they are risking their own health and that of their loved ones. I have to say, I'm also very annoyed with the media right now. All this speculation by the Press is not helpful.

Missfoodlove Sun 03-May-20 10:51:13

The worst culprit in our neighbourhood is a nurse!

jeanie99 Sun 03-May-20 11:02:00

Commiserations
Some people live in a different world to my thinking, have they not realized yet that there is a virus around that's actually killing thousand of people.
Unbelievable.
I would though have a fee words with my husband if he was chatting at an unsafe distance.
Thankfully we live in a village and our neighbours are very considerate, like us don't want to catch Corvid19.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 03-May-20 11:03:36

Luckily our neighbours are being sensible about things, as we are, but I do know some seem to think it’s acceptable to flit from work and then go round to their families as they feel the need to see them, but at the end of the day we all would love to see our families, but for us we will sit it out as long as it takes

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 03-May-20 11:10:48

There are 5 cars outside of our neighbours house again this weekend, kids , dogs and a chap with a loud booming voice they are all under 50 so I suppose they think that the rules dont apply to them. tomorrow there will be just the 2 cars.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 03-May-20 11:14:31

You don't know the full story of people visiting etc., as long as people take sensible precautions and keep their distance and wear a mask then I think it is acceptable in some cases. Yes I know we don't have to wear masks as they don't protect us BUT they do stop the spread.

Redhead56 Mon 04-May-20 11:19:44

We have a neighbour who is a nurse and one who works in theatre. They both go to work in their uniform and scrubs go shopping and come home still in the same clothes. My daughter was in nursing she never went to work in uniform or came home in it. She would say she couldn't imagine coming home in clothes that she worked in, Anyone working in any healthcare job should not be doing this especially now.

SirChenjin Mon 04-May-20 11:26:13

They definitely shouldn’t be doing that shock None of my nursing friends or my DD who are all the wards do this, they’d be hauled over the coals.

Puzzler61 Mon 04-May-20 11:26:23

I agree Redhead56 and it seems common sense that the professionals who wear uniforms would know that.

What is the Government’s stance on it I wonder? It’s not a question I’ve noticed being debated or out to the daily briefing teams.

Puzzler61 Mon 04-May-20 11:27:22

“put to” not “out to”

Charleygirl5 Mon 04-May-20 11:35:42

My neighbours had a garden party the last decent weekend we had, inviting friends around. There were friends coming and going yesterday. They probably do not give a thought to idiots like myself who goes out for food once a week. Nothing will happen to them, it is more likely to happen to me when I go supermarket shopping for an hour each week.

Londonwifi Mon 04-May-20 17:18:25

Oh Bbevan that is scary. Think of the consequences? These people don’t.

Londonwifi Mon 04-May-20 17:24:11

Regarding nurses wearing their uniforms to go and come from work. They shouldn’t be doing that anyway! Surely there must be a policy concerning this. The amount of carers that I see hanging about wearing their uniforms and also taking public transport to their place of work scares me. The buses are not clean by any means, then they are working with people who have compromised immune systems! It’s lazy and it’s shocking.