Gransnet forums

Relationships

Boyfriend doesn’t want sex

(44 Posts)
RMB12345 Tue 19-May-20 01:05:30

This is going to be long so please bear with me. I am DESPERATE for some advice.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 months. When we met, he had just gotten out of a relationship with a woman who really abused him mentally and got him addicted to drugs. He used to refer to her as his one great love and was very much still in love with her during the first couple months we were together. I initially was just casually dating him with no expectations, but then of course I fell hard for him. A couple months in, he said he’d fallen in love with me too. I do believe that he is. He went to a 90 day inpatient rehab in December and we communicated through email and phone calls, and I really felt like we got to know each other and felt very secure in his feelings for me. Then he got out and due to some issues with his previous housing, moved in with me. That part is fine, I have no regrets, but after a week he became very distant. Little to no physical affection of any kind. Finally, about 2 weeks ago, something changed and now he hugs me and cuddles with me all the time. But there’s almost no sex. My previous relationship of 8.5 years was completely devoid of sex besides one month in the beginning. That man was also an addict. The lack of sex in that relationship was extremely traumatic to me. I felt worthless, ugly. I developed a severe anxiety problem and depression. I ultimately left that relationship because of these feelings. Now I feel I’m right back into the same relationship. I’ve talked to my boyfriend about it, tried to be as honest and forthright as possible but I don’t think he listens or even cares. He just says he has no desire for sex and just feels numb. Except when he thinks I’m asleep he masturbates right next to me. The few times I’ve tried to join in, he stops and rolls over and either pretends to sleep or does sleep. It is very very hard for me to try to initiate sex or to even talk about it. I have to spend hours preparing myself to even try. Rejection is so mentally traumatizing to me that I shut down and it takes days for me to feel normal. I’m at the point where if I even start feeling horny I get panic attacks. I can’t pleasure myself because I’m so distraught that I have a man who should want me but doesn’t. I have an extremely high sex drive so I’m horny all the time. I’ve suggested that he at least help me out but he won’t, he won’t even kiss me. It’s hard for me to even be near him anymore because I’m so sexually attracted to him. It’s causing serious issues in our relationship because I’m angry and sad all the time. I’m afraid I’m too fat, ugly, and boring for him. He’s told me many times how great sex with his ex was. I’m afraid he still wants her. He’s also told me he’s had sex with hundreds of women. I feel like all those women are better than me. I know he’s depressed and dealing with addiction recovery and I’m trying to understand but it’s so hard for me. I should leave the relationship but everything else is amazing and I want to fix this. I know I should be getting therapy but I can’t afford it. Anyways, if you’ve gotten this far, please give me some insight and what I can do to try to make things better. I can’t continue feeling like this.

Seajaye Wed 24-Jun-20 14:38:33

if the OP is genuine, call for advice, then I think the OP already knows that the current relationship is a repeat of previous relationships and is forming a pattern of bad life choices. OP should actively recognise what characteristics attract her to such types to recognise the pattern, and to help avoid the same situtation occuring in the future. Sometimes if someone has been brought up in a negative relationship, that person may have low self esteem and put up with unsatisfactory relationships on the basis that any unhappy relationship is better than none. It isn't.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jun-20 06:20:23

The original poster is probably sitting back laughing at all the earnest replies
Don’t fan the flames

Lilypops Mon 01-Jun-20 22:51:56

ValerieF. My thoughts exactly commented on 21st May, obviously a bored school child with nothing else to do but type rubbish on GN. Not heard a word since, says it all doesn’t it ,

ValerieF Mon 01-Jun-20 22:46:51

I think the fact the original poster hasn't come back spells it out t.b.h. I read it and thought .... mmmm?

MerylStreep Mon 01-Jun-20 13:36:52

Load of codswallop. There are lots of children of a certain age who love to post this tosh on GN.

NinaGreenwood Mon 01-Jun-20 13:16:07

You are enough and there's absolutely nothing wrong with you. I would however suggest that you throw him out of your house as from where I am standing, that guy is just using you( for lack of a better word). Don't let him make you feel like trash in your own house. Ask him to move out maybe the distance will help him work on himself instead on icing you out when you want sex.

Alexa Fri 22-May-20 13:21:16

Are you worried there might really be something wrong with you? If so you have a self esteem problem not a sex problem.

Your self esteem is more important than sexual encounters.

geekesse Fri 22-May-20 09:05:08

Look hard at yourself. What do this and your last relationship have in common? What is it that makes you fall into the same trap a second time?

You need to change your own behaviour and expectations. That almost certainly means getting shot of this fourth rate ‘boyfriend’ and steering well clear of addicts in future.

H1954 Fri 22-May-20 08:05:17

Sorry if this sounds brutal but he is taking advantage of you! You're providing a home for him and hanging onto every thread of possibility that he really does love you.

You say he told you loves you prior to going into rehab? Maybe after his treatment his mind is clearer and he is no longer reliant on whatever he was addicted to, and he now finds he feels differently towards you.

Don't cheapen yourself by throwing yourself at him, tell him to leave, he is using you

tickingbird Fri 22-May-20 07:55:21

OP if you’re still here? Sounds like this man needed somewhere to stay and you’ve provided one. You’re setting yourself up for some heartache here if you don’t get rid.

Coolgran65 Fri 22-May-20 04:42:56

On his bike !!

twiglet77 Fri 22-May-20 00:06:52

This is Gransnet, OP. I wonder how old you are, have you had a lot of life experiences - because you sound quite naive.

I'd echo what most posters have said. You're not going to fix this, the man is living with you as he has no choice, and he can't make it much clearer that he doesn't reciprocate your feelings. Time to end it and for you both to move on.

Lilypops Thu 21-May-20 23:29:44

I notice RMB12345. Hasn’t replied to any of the comments about her post, I wonder why. ???

Hithere Tue 19-May-20 12:22:38

That's not good .... bad grammar and I need coffee

Hithere Tue 19-May-20 12:09:15

Run

Next time you have a boyfriend, be careful.
You seem to have a type that it's not good for you

quizqueen Tue 19-May-20 10:26:21

If I dated someone and I found out they took drugs, they'd be gone on 60 seconds.

timetogo2016 Tue 19-May-20 10:22:19

Run for the hills.
But don`t forget your face cover/mask.

Toadinthehole Tue 19-May-20 10:19:13

Don’t beat yourself up about this any longer. The problem is with him, not you. The fact that he’s the second of his ‘ type’, just shows you’re consistent in how you’re attracted to men. Put it down to experience, and ask him to leave. It will be hard as you’ve fallen in love, but are you sure it’s love and not infatuation? Does your high sex drive taint your choices? Was he really abused by his last partner, or was she just sick of him? You deserve better, I’m sure there are plenty of men who would treat you so much better. Say goodbye today.

ineedamum Tue 19-May-20 10:14:48

What was your childhood like? Lots of people who choose poor relationships had poor examples as parents. They think it is normal as they don't know any different.

lemongrove Tue 19-May-20 10:14:19

What a tale of........woe??

BlueBelle Tue 19-May-20 10:13:21

I m not sure how you managed your high Sex drive if you were with a Drug addict with no sex drive for 8 and a half years and now sleptwalked into the self same thing
Leave men out of the equation you are in a total mismatch of a relationship
Regain your home your self worth and your vibrator for now there’s more to life than a bloke

Redhead56 Tue 19-May-20 10:08:17

You must have been told I meant.

Redhead56 Tue 19-May-20 10:06:48

How old are you I wonder? You surely must have been as child what to do with rubbish. This parasite is just a loser get rid and get back your self respect.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 19-May-20 10:00:23

He’s not the man for you, that’s very obvious, he sees you possibly as a friend, you’ve been together seven months and you clearly aren’t happy, I don’t believe this relationship is going anywhere,

glammanana Tue 19-May-20 09:59:13

lemsip me to !! where would I get the energy from I ask myself.