Gransnet forums

Relationships

The best online dating sites for over 50s

(40 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 04-Jun-20 16:41:42

If lockdown has got you thinking about finding love or companionship, we've rounded up the best online dating sites for over 50s HERE in the UK, along with some tips on finding the best sites for you.

We know dating during coronavirus may seem paradoxical, but looking at it from another angle, lockdown may actually provide you with the perfect opportunity to explore your options with online dating. Plus many online daters are getting creative, hosting 'virtual dates' over Skype, Zoom, FaceTime etc.

We do hope you'll find this a valuable resource whether you're new to online dating or are thinking about trying a new site or app.

grin

jillold Wed 26-Jan-22 11:17:22

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

luckyli Sun 11-Jul-21 02:25:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nannashirlz Wed 03-Mar-21 12:21:01

I’ve used a few and met a few no one ever looks like the photos. The sites you listed have bad reviews go on trust pilot. I’ve had nothing but bad experiences with online dating. Most of them are married claiming to be single or the wife don’t understand me etc. I don’t need that man just want someone who is honest but To be honest covid as taught me. To look at my life and what’s important and that’s family so if a man comes along. I will meet him in life but not online

Grammaretto Mon 01-Mar-21 07:07:40

There is nothing new under the sun. Back in the day people met their lifelong partners through marriage bureaus, introduction agencies and Dateline - a forerunner of OLD- was around in the 1960s.
As someone has said, how are you supposed to meet likeminded friends now that pubs, universities, dance halls are all closed? When did you last go to a dinner party?

AmeliaFg Sun 28-Feb-21 22:27:37

Nannashirlz Sun 17-Jan-21 18:15:37

I’ve tried several dating apps over the years and I’m still single lol. Not one person I’ve met looked like photos. Quite a few are married men looking for a quick roll. Since coronavirus hit I’ve just given up. My advice if you gotta pay for it save your money. But if someone else tells me my mr right is round a corner there totally wrong because I’ve being round every corner and bend that can be.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 11-Jan-21 16:54:15

Chewbacca - that name you mentioned upthread is so funny, so of course I just had to go and Google search it ?

....looks like we are all sitting around looking provocative in our underwear whilst twirling our hair - so funny.

(Sitting around in my Damart thermals after bringing in the recycling bins more likely)

Roseflower5 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:24:18

Just thinking to try for being lonely.

tiredoldwoman Thu 31-Dec-20 10:56:38

Gagajo - ditto !

tiredoldwoman Thu 31-Dec-20 10:54:00

I was on a dating site a couple of years ago and had the most wonderful time . After thirty years of being a shy recluse I met new people , went out and was treated well but I spoke to them all for a long time before I actually met them . Yesterday I rejoined but it seems to have changed , no-one wants to simply chat , they want to meet up instantly . Yikes for a lot of reasons ! Back to the cave ............

Esspee Thu 31-Dec-20 07:25:15

I used OLD at first like having a choice of pen pals. You can get to know a person quite well when you communicate over a long period.
If you find someone on the same wavelength the next step would be a phone call. Pre Covid you would then meet up.
It surely beats sitting at home on your own during this awful time.

GagaJo Wed 30-Dec-20 23:08:38

I tried online dating when I was 40. I tried free sites but frankly they were all hook up merchants, most with no real respect for women. Eventually, I paid for a subscription to a good site and had lots of slightly older men who were interested. I went on lots of first dates, but like an idiot, I wasn't interested in any of them although looking back, there were some genuinely nice men among them.

Fast forward 15 years, and those men would now probably be looking for women younger than me. I do slightly regret not being a little more open to the offers I had but not a lot. I am content as I am and of course, the male in my life is my GS these days and he is far better than all of my previous suitors combined.

I wouldn't go on a dating site for love nor money these days.

Awesomegranny Wed 30-Dec-20 22:50:18

If dating sites aren’t the answer anymore, can someone tell me how at the moment singles can meet anyone? I’m about to be single after a six year relationship which has gone badly wrong though not fault of mine but would like to hopefully date again. Being retired and living in a new area means I know few people and all I can do is go out walking alone so wondering what others are doing?

Luckygirl Tue 08-Dec-20 09:47:18

It would be good if Gransnet could confirm that they are not taking a "bung" for putting this list up; and it is there purely out of concern for those who are loney.

OLD is the latest thing - lots of people meet that way. It is no longer the terrain of the desperate. I do not object to it in principle but there do need to be safeguards for the vulnerable, and the sites need to take responsibility for making those safeguards explicit or even undertaking some of the vetting themselves. They need to do something to earn their subs.

Iam64 Tue 08-Dec-20 08:40:59

Espee - in what way do I sound bitter?

TrendyNannie6 Mon 07-Dec-20 22:06:39

Oh goodness no, might be ok for some, but wouldn’t be for me if I was single

Esspee Mon 07-Dec-20 22:04:41

Iam64. You sound bitter.

Iam64 Mon 07-Dec-20 21:55:03

Chewbacca, we could start a thread on things we'd rather do than join an online dating site.

Even cleaning the windows is a more attractive option.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Dec-20 21:47:16

Jaffacake2, the " charmer" has probably got teeth like a witch-doctor's necklace in real life.

Chewbacca Mon 07-Dec-20 21:21:22

Even cleaning the grill pan out is a more attractive option Iam64.

Iam64 Mon 07-Dec-20 20:56:35

I can't imagine anything less attractive than on line dating. I realise living alone during this pandemic has been hard. But, I can think of so many other ways to make friends that could possibly lead to more. Why risk so much by internet dating. I'd rather read a book, or in better weather do the garden.

Chewbacca Mon 07-Dec-20 20:01:01

shagbook.com? Sounds like a really classy, selective dating site
Paul Davis11SK. I'm confident GNetters will be clamouring to join. hmm

PaulDavis11SK Mon 07-Dec-20 19:35:20

Elrel Thu 26-Nov-20 23:47:03

My DGD wants me to apply for First Dates, anyone tried it?

AlfieFoster Thu 26-Nov-20 23:36:28

During a pandemic, it is really very convenient to use apps or sites for online Dating. I did so, and met my partner.