Gransnet forums

Relationships

HRT for over 65s to help with lack of libido

(15 Posts)
Chewbacca Tue 28-Jul-20 22:37:37

The OP is curiouser and curiouser!

Mancjules Tue 28-Jul-20 22:33:35

I'm 64 and just gone on HRT due to flushes and mood swings. GP was happy to prescribe with usual warning/monitoring.

Toadinthehole Tue 28-Jul-20 11:47:54

It’s over 60.... OP made a mistake!?

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jul-20 11:43:26

It's a puzzle. Maybe 'Mfrgolfgti' is, in fact, a man, asking about 'cures' for a disinterested partner? Time to own up?

geekesse Tue 28-Jul-20 10:26:56

I suspect the OP made a typo, and that HRT is not available to women over 60.

ladymuck Tue 28-Jul-20 09:50:57

I've never been terribly interested in sex. Have been taking HRT for many years now and it hasn't made a ha'porth of difference, which is just as well as there is no man in my life. So don't see HRT as the cure for your problem. Perhaps the problem lies with having a man who doesn't arouse you?

Chewbacca Tue 28-Jul-20 09:18:44

This doesn't make sense on a couple of things; the aged 60/65 confusion as others have pointed out and also She won't prescribe it as she said it's not licensed for women under 60. How can that be correct when HRT is routinely prescribed for women who are going through their menopause in their 40s and 50s? I went through the menopause in my 30s and was put on HRT straight away and that was 30 years ago! confused

GagaJo Tue 28-Jul-20 09:10:54

Hetty58

Who wants a libido anyway - if 'totally uninterested' - it makes no sense? Life is so much simpler without one!

With you there Hetty. I've had a range of unfortunate experiences that were driven by libido confused and am very pleased with the mental peace and quiet that comes from a reduced sex drive.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jul-20 09:02:06

Who wants a libido anyway - if 'totally uninterested' - it makes no sense? Life is so much simpler without one!

Illte Tue 28-Jul-20 08:57:36

It did wonders for mine?

BlueBelle Tue 28-Jul-20 08:35:27

A new man won’t make any difference if she’s lost her libido IIIte
I would rewrite your post mfr if the doctor won’t prescribe to under 60 s and you’re 65 that doesn’t make sense

I thought you could get the ‘little blue pills‘ for women now

Illte Tue 28-Jul-20 08:16:07

I didn't think the post made sense.

I kind of expected a "get your HRT here" to follow.

My advice would be to get a new man?

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 28-Jul-20 07:58:44

But you are over 60? Why won’t she prescribe it for you?

Esspee Tue 28-Jul-20 07:56:16

If a man goes to the doctor complaining of loss of libido I bet he would be prescribed testosterone straight away!

I know women who have taken testosterone for that reason, not oestrogen, (so not what people would refer to as HRT). It worked for one, not for the other.

Messing about with hormones is something which should be done with medical supervision. Please don’t medicate yourself OP. Perhaps try another doctor.

Mfrgolfgti Sun 26-Jul-20 16:30:27

Is anyone on here who's a 65 year old or older woman, using HRT to help with libido issues? My libido has fallen off a cliff, I'm totally uninterested in having sex and when I do, I don't derive any pleasure from it. I asked my GP to prescribe a very low dose HRT as I'd heard it could help. She won't prescribe it as she said it's not licensed for women under 60. What does anyone here do? Can you get it privately?