Gransnet forums

Relationships

Child Moving Away with Adult Grandchild

(6 Posts)
Callistemon Wed 29-Jul-20 11:00:24

HM is 94 and apparently has learnt how to zoom.
WhatsApp is good. We have to try keep up with technology!!

I'm not quite sure if it is your child who is the young adult with a very young grandchild or your grandchild is the young adult.

Illte Wed 29-Jul-20 10:31:46

We have to learn to communicate like they do ?

Illte Wed 29-Jul-20 10:30:50

If your gc is a young adult it's likely that they'll be moving off to somewhere else anyway.

Personally I find WhatsApp pretty good. Just send casual messages. Videocall now and again.

Above all keep it short and casual. No young person wants a regular obligation!

Debutante Wed 29-Jul-20 10:24:59

Do you mind me asking why you feel you are not very close? How far are they moving? You can obviously use all sorts of modern communication but I found that that having to use it so much due to Covid it became quite frustrating. Nothing like an ‘old fashioned’ phone call.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 29-Jul-20 07:20:43

Letters, emails, telephone calls, FaceTime, zoom meetings, the odd Post card, instant messenger, text messages............

No need to lose touch at all and certainly no need to feel ‘awkward’.

happycatholicwife1 Wed 29-Jul-20 06:49:54

My child is moving to a different area. I would, of course, prefer that she stay here although we have never been very close. I'm very concerned about my grandchild moving with her, tho the child is a young adult. Trying to adjust to possibly losing contact with them. It is likely they will rarely come here, and we will not be able to travel there. Any good ideas about how to keep the awkwardness from growing would be appreciated.