Gransnet forums

Relationships

Moving away from family

(158 Posts)
Morley58 Thu 06-Aug-20 17:13:03

I have been married for 10 years,it’s my second marriage, my husband’s first. We are in our early 60’s & I have 3 married daughters & 3 grandchildren. We used to live in a quiet countryside area but moved 3 years ago 200 miles north to a busy town to b nearer all my family as I missed them all so much especially once the gc arrived & it was so far to go to see them. A year ago my husband said he was really unhappy with the situation as he hated the area,the traffic & built up area & being on his own when I saw the gc. Before we moved here I said I wanted us to see them together but as I only see my daughters & gc during the day when their husbands are at work we don’t do the sort of things my husband would enjoy eg shopping & going to soft play etc he stays at home but says I spend all my time thinking & talking about them & putting arrrangements with them first instead of wanting to do things with him. I think this is unfair as I only see them once a week, sometimes only once a fortnight & I think it’s only natural for me to be interested in their lives but I don’t think I’m obsessive about it.
Now he says he wants to move back to a very quiet country area 200 miles away as we need to separate ourselves from my family & spend more time together as a couple. This was a huge shock to me as I really didn’t see it coming. He says he’s been so unhappy & feels like a spare part with my family always coming first in my affections & my time.
Obviously there’s a lot more to all this than I can go into on here but if anyone has been in a similar situation I would really welcome some advice as I am devastated by all this.

ExD Fri 14-Aug-20 19:26:25

Poor Morely - she can't respond without her privacy being invaded by the monster she's married to - so we may never know what happened. I wish her well.

Dressagediva123 Fri 14-Aug-20 17:41:57

Hi - are you able financially to keep both houses ?
Would you consider spending a week at one house and a week at the other? You can see your children as much as you do now.
How much do you know about his finances- it is underhand to buy another property without your knowledge/ you need to get a full picture of money issues as it is important -
Do you both have things in common you do together ? Lots of issues to explore here I think

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 11-Aug-20 13:55:33

In a nutshell, this man sounds like a trumpian nightmare. He is acting like a grade one idiot who doesn’t deserve his wife and her family. I have a friend who married recently after many years of widowhood. The new husband had never been married before. He has embraced his wife’s three children and many grandchildren. He would never consider moving her two hundred miles away to the middle of the countryside.

ExD Tue 11-Aug-20 13:35:54

I guess she'll have to change her name now anyway.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Aug-20 13:17:19

Well, I would hardly imagine that Morely would still be here posting, if her husband was reading.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that they are at home having a great big argument sorting things out.

FarNorth Sun 09-Aug-20 13:14:13

Bluebelle, as you saw neutrino's post you were not on page 1. You just misread.

I hope it was a windup and that this unpleasant man does not exist.

ExD Sun 09-Aug-20 12:39:10

If the whole thing is a wind-up, its worked very well!

BlueBelle Sun 09-Aug-20 11:08:07

That’s strange I wrote my last post very early this morning and we were still on page 1 so many answers have come up between the nuetrino mans post and mine it feels out of context now
So the original poster has gone and her husband has appeared gets stranger and stranger

crazygranny Sun 09-Aug-20 10:56:16

He wasn't the one who offered to live half and half it was his wife.

Doodledog Sun 09-Aug-20 10:05:50

Chewbacca

Curiouser and curiouser Doodledog; an unusual name for him to have chosen then, wasn't it. hmm

It was. It’s an unusual situation all round. Poor Morley must feel like she’s talking to herself, mustn’t she?

Kryptonite Sun 09-Aug-20 09:20:09

My thoughts are with Morley. Been trying to put myself in her position. I would be feeling completely humiliated. She was already feeling 'devastated', so I can only imagine how she's feeling now.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Aug-20 06:51:23

Well done neutrino for coming on here and balancing things up there is always two sides to every story and surely a balanced view is what’s needed
You sound to me as if you are trying hard and the fact you say you love your wife and you are happy to make compromises
I think you have done the right thing in getting the second home and I think the compromise is a good one
It’s not a marriage I would want I prefer to be settled one place or another but it does work for some people I think a lot depends on what you do together when Morley’s not with her family !

Nasty post libman are you a son of Morley ?

Crazygranny why would you say that ? He has offered to live half and half surely that’s a complete compromise

I had to google Rob Titchener I d never heard of him before

I hope you sort something out you sound a reasonable man nuetrino and Morley sounds a nice lady If you don’t stay together I hope you each have a good life but hopefully you ll find a middle ground

Grammaretto Sun 09-Aug-20 06:10:19

This does read like an episode or two of the Archers.
EmilyH said family come first. Surely your DH or DW are your family?
I don't get the obsession with DC and DGC. Once they are grown up and launched they have their own lives to live. You can still love them and care about them without living in their pockets.
If mý DC moved 200 miles away I wouldn't follow them and leave my friends and community to be near them.
I hope (if this story is genuine) that it has a happy outcome.

BibiSarah Sun 09-Aug-20 03:06:01

* Unusual username, Neutrino*

It’s seems very contrived. Rather creepy.

BibiSarah Sun 09-Aug-20 03:02:46

Libman I too found it disturbing. Absolutely classic example of gaslighting. But oh so plausible...........

Yes.

Chewbacca Sun 09-Aug-20 00:22:11

Curiouser and curiouser Doodledog; an unusual name for him to have chosen then, wasn't it. hmm

Doodledog Sun 09-Aug-20 00:04:22

Callistemon

Oopsadaisy yes.

Strange word, isn't it, controlling
If you look at the syllables separately.

Yes, I thought this as soon as 'Mr Morley' appeared, Callistemon.

According to t'Internet, neutrinos may not exist, which is also interesting.

Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 23:42:57

Perhaps it is shock

I think many new threads which have been started lately sound like the beginnings of novels.

GagaJo Sat 08-Aug-20 23:08:01

Very creepy of him to track down his wife online, when he could talk to her in person. Talk about wanting to control the narrative. Like the beginning of a murder novel.

Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 22:52:40

Elvis Morley has left the building.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 08-Aug-20 21:29:11

I hope you are ok Morley, since you have left

geekesse Sat 08-Aug-20 18:24:44

Merlotgran: Yes. They strike me as two people who wouldn't even share the same bus route!

Or two sides of the same coin?

Grandmabatty Sat 08-Aug-20 17:25:41

Farnorth I agree with you. This man is working very hard at appearing reasonable but what husband attacks his wife this way on social media? And buys a house behind her back? Lots of red flags about neutrino. Even the choice of name is deliberate. "I am neutral" when, obviously he is anything but. I get such a wrong feeling about all of this. OP hasn't returned, Mr. Perfect is appealing to us all. Nope.

Tinydancer Sat 08-Aug-20 16:45:24

If any of you have had dealings with someone with NPD, Narcissistic Personality Disorder they would recognise the signs instantly. Oh so reasonable, controlling, flying monkeys, creepy stalking of her social media, trying to keep her from her family. I wonder who had the most money before he had his inheritance? There are laws against this now and the police take it very seriously. Please look it up. It struck me even before he joined in. Good luck Morley.

merlotgran Sat 08-Aug-20 14:54:16

geekesse

Note the very significant difference in literary style between Morley58 and Neutrino.

Yes. They strike me as two people who wouldn't even share the same bus route!