Gransnet forums

Relationships

Separate bedrooms

(129 Posts)
Foxgloveandroses Fri 14-Aug-20 00:16:52

A couple of months ago my husband and I decided enough was enough, we came to the conclusion we needed separate bedrooms.
We are just not compatible at night, I snore (apparently) and keep him awake. I get too hot he gets too cold, I like silence he likes to listen to the radio as he drifts of to sleep or read his iPad and that light annoys me.
We were never touchy feely anyway and for the last year my husband has had disturbed sleep having to get up in the night and move to the spare room next door. So we thought, why are we bothering in the first place! So now we go to our own rooms and meet up occasionally if the moment takes us.
Does anyone else have a similar set up?

Abracadabra Thu 27-Aug-20 19:47:00

CarlyD7

I would love to sleep in separate bedrooms but hubby won't entertain it (in fact, got a bit upset when I suggested it). So we've compromised with a bigger bed! But I'm still hoping he'll agree one day.

Same here Carly. I’m envious of all those with their own rooms, I’d love it but my husband is exactly the same as yours

eazybee Thu 27-Aug-20 09:24:34

Sleeping separately is fine as long as it is a mutual agreement.
I gather from friends who discuss their sleeping arrangements, frequently Too Much Information, that the wives have made the choice, and the husbands have been banished, unwillingly, to the spare room, which seems rather sad and rather unfair to me.
No divorces, but two affairs.

Horti Thu 27-Aug-20 07:23:44

I think a good nights rest is the most important thing
If you have medical or snoring issues it makes a lot of sense
Also in our case different sleep clocks -it saves disturbing each other

Hetty58 Mon 17-Aug-20 19:12:32

There's loads of snoring in the comments above.

My lodger simply wouldn't believe that he snored loudly so I recorded it.

I then insisted that he see the GP about it. He was given a monitor to wear overnight - then diagnosed with two types of sleep apnoea (one very dangerous) and given a CPAP machine.

If in doubt, do get it checked!

MamaB247 Mon 17-Aug-20 18:18:11

I'm only in 30s hubby is 40s and we already sleep seperate. Mainly due to my condition I can't lie flat and he hogs kal the bed. He is also very hot and if I get hot it causes seizures. I also have a carer come on a morning to to physio and it means they don't have to disturb him if they come early. We still spend the together occasionally but it's far better for us now then it was when we kept trying to persist

Naninka Sun 16-Aug-20 08:28:29

We mix and match. We have two electric single beds next to each other with one duvet in the first bedroom. Then we have a room with a standard double bed and two further rooms, each with a single. Our default is the electric bed (the massage mode smoothes my circulation issues and it's nice to be pushed up to sitting position).
However, I get hot sometimes and take myself off to another room (varies as to which). Likewise, DH can disappear off (less likely).
I think it's an individual thing and our sex life is brilliant but almost never do it during the night.
May I recommend Afternoon Delight?

Summerfly Sat 15-Aug-20 17:07:14

Love it CHEWBACCA. ?

We have our own bedrooms and have done for years. It hasn’t changed our love for each other and we can still have a cuddle. DH always brings a cuppa for us both in the morning. It’s so much better than being grumpy all day because we’ve kept each other awake snoring ? or whatever.

sodapop Sat 15-Aug-20 12:15:21

grin love it Chewbacca

Clevedon Sat 15-Aug-20 11:51:35

We have slept seperately for a few years now too and sleep much better. Definitely the best thing we decided to do after waking each other

annep1 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:23:28

Totally separate double bedrooms here too. And meet up in mine now and again. (His mattress is much too hard)
Bliss! Wouldn't have it any other way. And neither would OH.

Iam64 Sat 15-Aug-20 08:49:01

Chewbacca grin

Chewbacca Sat 15-Aug-20 00:11:49

Separate rooms are wonderful.

I found that separate houses are even better! I sleep much better now we're 40 miles apart!

Jillybird Fri 14-Aug-20 23:52:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 21:34:23

grin

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 14-Aug-20 21:33:05

Separate rooms for several years after his refusal to see a Dr about his really bad snoring and me struggling to sleep. Best thing as I know get almost uninterrupted sleep, only woken if he gets up in night and crashes around the bathroom? Anyway stbxh as decided I really didn't like him much during the daytime either ?

V3ra Fri 14-Aug-20 21:01:36

Candelle Boots Muffles wax earplugs have saved our marriage/my husband's life (delete as appropriate).

V3ra Fri 14-Aug-20 20:27:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lancslass1 Fri 14-Aug-20 20:21:37

Scawby12
Do as we do .
One of you goes into the other's bed for a morning cuppa .

Scawby12 Fri 14-Aug-20 20:09:43

We,ve been in separate bedrooms for over 10 years-because I snore & had nightmares,he wants light & curtains open,I want black-out blinds.We both now get a good nights sleep - BUT -
It has driven us apart & killed our sex life.

Chewbacca Fri 14-Aug-20 19:32:21

No longer acceptable to call it the 'master' bedroom apparently

Give me strength!

Iam64 Fri 14-Aug-20 19:24:48

Should add - why not just call it the Big Bedroom (as Peter Kay would) or the main bedroom ?

Iam64 Fri 14-Aug-20 19:24:02

I should think so NannyJenny - the 'master' bedroom is totally unacceptable. It has kinds of unpleasant connotations

NannyJennyto3 Fri 14-Aug-20 19:12:24

No longer acceptable to call it the 'master' bedroom apparently. My daughter's an estate agent and they now have to call it the 'principle' bedroom (Recent instruction!)!!!

Lewie Fri 14-Aug-20 18:21:11

Candelle the best earplugs we have found are the 3M E-A-R Classic bought on the internet.

Lewie Fri 14-Aug-20 18:18:22

Candelle we always get self-catering with two bedrooms and on cruises it's a twin room and earplugs! But to be honest, he doesn't seem to snore as badly when we cruise.