Gransnet forums

Relationships

Picking up energy from people

(80 Posts)
ineedamum Mon 28-Sep-20 20:01:33

Hi, twice now in a certain person's presence, I have felt as if I was going to topple over as I was so lightheaded. This person is loud, doesn't stop talking but they're not a bad person but draining. Is this a coincidence or can people have this effect?

trustgone4sure Mon 05-Oct-20 09:34:15

I have a step dil and she doesn`t know how to talk she constantly shouts and she drives me mad.
I asked her why she is so loud and her reply was "i`m not".
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Out come the earplugs.

Alishka Wed 30-Sep-20 12:44:46

FannyCornforth

Fenella Fielding! What a woman!
Carry on Screaming is by far my favourite Carry On. (No Sid James or Barbara Windsor.)
Best male voice- Roger Allam
(Swoons.)

Swooning with you, Fanny!

My Swooning Couch is fully occupied every time I listen to a re-run of Cabin Pressure. corr grin

honeyrose Tue 29-Sep-20 21:34:16

I too have been talked at by people who make me feel dizzy! Dizzy with the stress of listening to someone drone on and on without pausing or trying to converse - just TALKING! We once had a plumber whose nickname was the name of a well-known headache tablet. After he spent about an hour wittering on and on about something, with very emphatic dialogue and hand gestures, during which he didn’t draw breath, I had to lie down in a darkened room as he gave me a massive headache. I tend to avoid such people if I can. We have a different plumber now. I also find constantly negative people very draining and I avoid them as well. By the way, I did the personality test and i’m a Mediator. Very empathetic apparently. But obviously not to verbose plumbers. Or to very negative people.

SandraPotter Tue 29-Sep-20 21:10:50

I know someone who talks about themselves nonstop with no interest in anyone else. Being with her as part of a group for coffee/lunch has made me feel low a couple of times without being to explain why but would describe myself as an introvert so that makes it more understandable perhaps. Thank you.

Susiewong65 Tue 29-Sep-20 19:56:45

Fun sponges !!

justwokeup Tue 29-Sep-20 19:32:08

It is very real although I have other health conditions to exacerbate it. Greciangirl you have my sympathy. I live with one and sometimes have had to say I can’t listen any more as I’m feeling dizzy and my head is banging.I find soothing things to do in the garden. smile

Flytothestars Tue 29-Sep-20 18:19:56

Energy Vampire - see BBC tv series 'What we do in the Shadows' ?

DiscoGran Tue 29-Sep-20 18:18:58

"Auras" ?

Forestflame Tue 29-Sep-20 17:48:28

Psychic Vampires

lemongrove Tue 29-Sep-20 17:18:50

John Osborne ( Look Back In Anger) once wrote ‘ you know those people, who, when they enter a room, it lights up? Well,
When my Father entered a room, all the lights went out’.
I have known both types.
Online forums contain them too ( the ones you would never want at a party) as well as clubs, WI etc.?

Marthjolly1 Tue 29-Sep-20 17:03:31

'Greciangirl' when my daughter was a young adult I always became drained in her company. We are very close and I love her so much and of course never mentioned it to anyone. Funny thing though she was also very laid back and a bit of a dreamer at times. Much older now (both if us) I'm pleased to say she no longer has that effect on me.

CraftyGranny Tue 29-Sep-20 16:25:23

FannyCornforth

CraftyGranny did it ring true?
I'm an Advocate!

Yes, mainly. Did yours?

Summerlove Tue 29-Sep-20 16:07:06

Emotional vampires.
I’ve had a few friends like that. I notice they have a new circle every few years

Furret Tue 29-Sep-20 15:12:53

Greciangirl what a sad post.

DiscoGran Tue 29-Sep-20 14:49:26

We call those folk "energy vampires". ?

Greciangirl Tue 29-Sep-20 14:32:35

I’m afraid my daughter has a similar effect on me.

Terrible I know.

Musicgirl Tue 29-Sep-20 14:28:40

I did the test recently and came out as a mediator, one of only 4% of the population. I was not surprised. I often feel as though I am treading on eggshells round other people to keep the peace and l really dislike upsets and scenes of any kind. Many other people do not seem to worry about such things. I like to find solutions to problems. I do find certain people draining and have learnt that if someone is severely depressed that, for my own sanity and health l have to limit my time with them. Possibly some of the most draining people in my experience are those who have to be the centre of attention all the time, in particular laugh-a-minute people (almost always men in this instance), whose faces crumple like a toddler's if you don't raise at least a smile at every inane remark.

FindingNemo15 Tue 29-Sep-20 14:18:01

I heard or read somewhere: some people are lonely because they talk too much and some people talk too much because they are lonely.

FannyCornforth Tue 29-Sep-20 13:45:19

CraftyGranny did it ring true?
I'm an Advocate!

CraftyGranny Tue 29-Sep-20 13:41:36

FannyCornforth

Re extrovert/ introvert.
I recommend that everyone does the Myers-Briggs test. It's fascinating and very accurate.
Google '14 personality types'.
I'm an INFJ which is the rarest type.
I am pathetically proud of this!blush

FannyNornforth
I did the test and it turns out that I am an Adventurer!

Luckylegs Tue 29-Sep-20 13:25:54

Oh, I hope I’m not one of these! I do get excited when I’m talking to someone!

Janiepops Tue 29-Sep-20 13:25:42

smile!! Made me smile ?

Janiepops Tue 29-Sep-20 13:24:30

The nicest voice for me currently is Professor Chris Whitty, very therapeutic,and female voice is Gillian Anderson as she appears in Netflix “The Fall”. Calm, low, gentle, like honey dripping in your ears. smile

Flakesdayout Tue 29-Sep-20 13:15:04

I had never thought about that before but there are some people out there who can impact on your emotional wellbeing. I have had two calls this morning from colleagues. One quite positive despite all that is going on with her, the other moaned about everything and I was left feeling quite deflated. I do think people with a positive attitude have a positive effect and vice versa. I'm now off to do the personality type test

Lulubelle500 Tue 29-Sep-20 13:09:32

Sadly, one of these people is very dear to me. He's always had that effect on me - I have to pschyc (sp?) myself up when I'm going to see him and always feel ashamed to be doing that. Even talking on the 'phone this is so. There seems to be no answer to this for me, unless anyone has any suggestions?