Gransnet forums

Relationships

Ultra possessive grandparents?

(77 Posts)
Cuffetta99 Mon 05-Jul-21 12:27:34

Cuffetta99

We just had an upsetting experience. Yesterday was the first time we saw our grandson together with my son in laws parents. We used to be good friends with them for years until the baby was due. I was a birth partner for my daughter and this was not well received by the other set. Some comments were made which I rose above thinking that it was just a bit of jealousy.
Then lockdown started and we were my daughters support bubble. So the other GP didn’t see or have contact with GS apart from outside at a distance for 18 months.
So we’re both really close to him, I see him 5 days a week normally. My husband (step dad to my daughter since she was 11) sees him 2/3 times a week.
The problem yesterday. We were nervous that GS might be too obviously confident with us and too shy with them. Since C19 has been almost all his life (20months) he’s very shy of people except us and his parents as that’s all he’s really seen.
But not only we’re our fears unfounded but reversed!!
He’s seen more of his other GP in the last few weeks so is more comfortable with them. But yesterday was weird!
He ignored his other Granny, mostly because he was utterly monopolised by paternal GD. He picked him up immediately on coming in and that was it!
(He has other GC which he’s always done the same with ie takes them off to play away from everyone else (including his wife) and totally excludes everyone else. His other son (parents of older GC) eventually told him off for constantly taking first one, then both GC, away from the family group saying he wanted to spend quality time with his kids as well on a weekend as he works all day and obviously only sees them after work most days. I don’t know what the response was but it still happened. Till they got fed up with it and supervised their time with them more closely and stopped him taking them off.).
So this happened again yesterday. GS was totally just wanting to be with GD and play etc and ignoring his parents and us. So maybe we were just surprised and a bit confused to start with. As the visit went on, he took him off up the garden or in the summerhouse or up to the allotment several times. (GS is never not wanting to visit the allotment ). Son in law got the “go with them” look from daughter as she doesn’t trust him not to have secret snacks of chocolate to give GS.
(They both (other set of GP) think it’s funny to give GC chocolate and treats and the older ones are sworn to secrecy ie “We mustn’t tell M&D we’ve had chocolate/money to buy chocolate/biscuits “ etc because we’re not allowed it unless they say so. Which we all think is appalling and daughter and SIL have shopped them to the other parents about. But despite threatened sanctions it still secretly goes on ).
So when eventually GD left the room, I was talking to GS and asked him if he wanted to show other Granny a toy. She was very keen to share it as he hadn’t been near her all afternoon.
GD came back in just as he moved towards Granny and sat on the floor in between GS and Granny and asked to see the toy. Distracted again and then taken off again to look out the windows.
So I’m well aware this sounds a bit petty but why is he doing this? Why does he have to monopolise any child and remove them from the group for 121 interaction? What’s going on?
As my husband later remarked “ no one else need have been there! It created the most odd atmosphere “?
He was very upset by it and couldn’t understand it at all. I’m also a bit confused as to why he does this? He’s a bit of a show off and a confirmed liar but this is still odd behaviour. I felt so sorry for Granny but she always lets him walk all over her ( and his kids) without demurring so it’s not surprising that he gets away with it. My husband said he’s shot himself in the foot as they won’t be invited back when GS is here, so he’s the one who’ll miss out. I don’t know if confrontation is the answer or not. (Not from us, I’d have no problem doing it but it’s really a parenting issue). My daughter has only just accepted they have to see more of them now lockdown is eased but still has trust/dislike issues with them because of serious lying/honesty/causing her husband pain issues from long before lockdown.
Does anyone else have any experience of this?
I’ve read a few articles to try and get a handle on this but would appreciate any constructive advice please?
Just to add, 2 days before, GS saw his great Granny and some other relatives for the first time in 18 months. After a shortish while of shyness, he lost his nerves and had a lovely day playing in the garden with everyone. He was the centre of attention of course but played beautifully with all and it was a lovely relaxing day. Not one person tried to fight for his attention, everyone was just happy to share a lovely day with him.

Cuffetta99 Wed 07-Jul-21 09:34:30

Thank you V3era and Namsnanny ?

V3ra Wed 07-Jul-21 06:35:44

Cuffeta despite some exasperation you seem to have picked up some useful advice and have been able to come up with a way to handle the over-possessive grandfather between you. I wish you all well x

Namsnanny Wed 07-Jul-21 00:29:08

Cuffetta best of luck for the future.

Cuffetta99 Tue 06-Jul-21 23:18:36

Madgran77, you’ve been great. Thank you very much ??

Madgran77 Tue 06-Jul-21 22:35:38

Cuffetta Glad that your family have a way forward. Hope all goes well.

Lucca Tue 06-Jul-21 21:44:45

Trolls ?? How do you work that one out ?

Anyway Clearly I misunderstood absolutely everything about this entire story so I’m out.

Cuffetta99 Tue 06-Jul-21 21:38:23

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Madgran77 Tue 06-Jul-21 19:42:27

No I didn't mean that Lucca. As I quoted, I was referring to this comment that you made:

Sorry but is this another poster taking umbrage having asked for advice ?! Or rather only advice which implies absolutely no criticism whatsoever of self

As I explained in my post above I do not think that is fair criticism in this case.

There does appear to be quite a lot of grandparent involvement, yes. But what has that got to do with the problem the OP was asking about? She has subsequently explained the reasons for her level of involvement at the moment, seems reasonable to me under the circumstances, but either way, its not mine or anyone else's business and its not what she asked for advice about

Lucca Tue 06-Jul-21 18:33:31

Madgran do you mean where I said there seemed to a lot of grandparents involvement ? Well it’s true !

Lucca Tue 06-Jul-21 18:13:33

Madgran77

*Well I did read the thread. My comments were more in the nature of suggestions based on what I had read in the OP, not criticisms*

Did I misunderstand your comment Lucca?

Sorry which one?

Summerlove Tue 06-Jul-21 17:35:32

Yammy

Have you ever thought he might be getting his own back for you being your daughters birth partner? Shouldn't that have been her husband? Competing over grandchildren is pointless, they will eventually choose the ones they like to be with whatever you do or bribe them.
Why do you feel sorry for his wife she obviously doesn't mind her husband's actions or she would not still be with him.
Keep away when they are there and let them have their time, You get yours why should they have to share with you in doing so you will also deprive him of his audience.
There's nothing more irritating than a person showing you how friendly and close they are to your grandchildren or your own children.
I'm sounding hard here and I know it BUT it might be how the other grandparents feel.
As for paedophilia, he sounds to me like a pathetic man who does not know how to be relaxed and friendly in front of other people. If children are being bribed they will soon catch on and make an idiot of him or tell

Did you miss where OP invited them on her time?

If anything, the paternal GPs encroached on her time

Yammy Tue 06-Jul-21 16:07:33

Have you ever thought he might be getting his own back for you being your daughters birth partner? Shouldn't that have been her husband? Competing over grandchildren is pointless, they will eventually choose the ones they like to be with whatever you do or bribe them.
Why do you feel sorry for his wife she obviously doesn't mind her husband's actions or she would not still be with him.
Keep away when they are there and let them have their time, You get yours why should they have to share with you in doing so you will also deprive him of his audience.
There's nothing more irritating than a person showing you how friendly and close they are to your grandchildren or your own children.
I'm sounding hard here and I know it BUT it might be how the other grandparents feel.
As for paedophilia, he sounds to me like a pathetic man who does not know how to be relaxed and friendly in front of other people. If children are being bribed they will soon catch on and make an idiot of him or tell

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 06-Jul-21 15:47:49

As an afterthought, the sons know their father very well? I would have thought alarm bells would be ringing somewhere, with this sort of behaviour, if there was the chance it wasn’t innocent.
Could be wrong though. I have no experience of any kind of abuse.

Madgran77 Tue 06-Jul-21 15:41:59

Well I did read the thread. My comments were more in the nature of suggestions based on what I had read in the OP, not criticisms

Did I misunderstand your comment Lucca?

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 06-Jul-21 15:39:43

SueBdoo70

DiscoDancer 1975 ... I would like to add to your comment that
‘ It does sound strange, but would think he’s being too obvious about it for it to be sinister. ‘ This is classic grooming behaviour, it becomes the norm for GD to take GC off on his own, so after awhile no one questions it. Added to the fact that GC are groomed to keep secrets as well, I would be very concerned.

Yes, I do understand that, and know it can and does happen. That’s why I said the grandfather needs ‘ keeping an eye on’. I just feel, as some other posters have said, that it all seems a bit quick to accuse him of something so serious, when the likelihood is, he’s just trying to get more time with his grandson. Monopolising someone said.

I would personally not allow it if it were me, but it really is up to the parents to sort out.

Summerlove Tue 06-Jul-21 15:16:31

SueBdoo70

‘ It does sound strange, but would think he’s being too obvious about it for it to be sinister. ‘ This is classic grooming behaviour, it becomes the norm for GD to take GC off on his own, so after awhile no one questions it. Added to the fact that GC are groomed to keep secrets as well, I would be very concerned.

Yes exactly!

I’m not saying this is the case, but it does happen.

Many adults report they were molested in public with their parents around. Just no one noticed.

SueBdoo70 Tue 06-Jul-21 15:12:08

Lucca Tue 06-Jul-21 14:33:39

Namsnanny

Well said Madgransmile
I think another new poster had a similar reaction to her first post, and decided enough was enough.
Its worrying if posters dont read threads before they comment.

Well I did read the thread. My comments were more in the nature of suggestions based on what I had read in the OP, not criticisms.

Namsnanny Tue 06-Jul-21 12:10:33

Well said Madgransmile
I think another new poster had a similar reaction to her first post, and decided enough was enough.
Its worrying if posters dont read threads before they comment.

Toadinthehole Tue 06-Jul-21 11:01:52

Well said Madgran

Toadinthehole Tue 06-Jul-21 10:14:55

Cuffetta99

I asked for advice about an issue with a possessive GP. From people who had experience of it.
I did not ask or expect advice about my helping my daughter during lockdown, trapped in a small flat with no garden and an energetic toddler who couldn’t go out much. That I could deal with. That’s normal.
Not what the OP was about at all.

I understand you OP. Whether or not you see your grandchild too often is not the issue here, and not to be decided by us. You want advice on the grandfather’s behaviour. Of course, he may behave like that because he thinks ( not me ), that you’re monopolising the time with your grandson. That doesn’t explain why he pushes his wife out though.

You all know your family best, and how it works. I’ve spent much more time generally, with daughters children, than sons. It’s the way of things. Daughters usually gravitate towards their mums, although not always. I’m sure there are exceptions.

As I said before, the grandfather shouldn’t be doing this, he needs talking to, but it worries me that people jump to the conclusion that he’s a paedophile.

Madgran77 Tue 06-Jul-21 08:27:44

Sorry but is this another poster taking umbrage having asked for advice ?! Or rather only advice which implies absolutely no criticism whatsoever of self.

I know that happens Lucca and have seen it several times on GN. However in this case I don't think it is a fair criticism. Cuffetta was asking for advice on a specific issue from anyone who had similar experiences or who had suggestions. Why should she then have to put up with an analysis of the arrangements on childcare support for her daughter which are completely unrelated and which information was only given to give an overall context to her worries. She said nothing that suggested over possessiveness atall, in fact the opposite with her efforts to include the other grandmother. I am not surprised that she is irritated by such comments which bear no relation to her clear OP or to her problem she asked advice on.

Cuffetta I hope you feel able to update on how things go for your daughter and SIL in dealing with this and for your family. flowers

freedomfromthepast Tue 06-Jul-21 03:13:30

I wanted to post the signs of grooming to look for. I am sure you all know these already, but it is always good to have a reminder.

www.rainn.org/news/grooming-know-warning-signs

Remember, grooming doesn't just occur in instances of sexual abuse. My own mother groomed my children for years and I had no idea. It was all emotional abuse that ended in attempted parental alienation (or that is what it would be called if my mother was my spouse). It still had a devastating effect on my kids.

It is good that you are all aware of the behavior and find it strange. He may never turn out to be anything other than an overzealous grandparent with no boundaries. Lets hope so.

justwokeup Tue 06-Jul-21 00:57:51

Cuffetta99 perhaps a childhood experience makes me wary but relatives can be paedophiles too. I am not saying this is the case with GF but child and parents need to be very comfortable with any adult before a child is left alone with them. I've just started childcare for a toddler and spent many hours in the house with parents there before I cared for the child without them. It meant that the child was very happy to stay with me when parents were at work (also 5 days!). I think though you and your GC's parents seem very sensible and will resolve this quite quickly. Good for you for being so caring, skim over the negative comments.

V3ra Tue 06-Jul-21 00:06:06

Excellent advice Lolo81