Gransnet forums

Relationships

Mother and adult daughter problems

(4 Posts)
Bonpen Mon 27-Jun-22 10:57:26

Please can I hear from other Mums who have relationship problems with an adult daughter as I feel so alone. Our relationship has always been volatile but at 84 I just can't cope any longer. Talking to her and counselling is out I just want to hear how other mums have handled their situation.

Bea65 Mon 27-Jun-22 11:03:29

Is your daughter your only child or do you have other children who could perhaps intervene on your behalf and get their perspective...feel very sad that on reaching 84 you have these issues..

crazyH Mon 27-Jun-22 11:28:40

Bonpen - you are not alone. I empathise. I have an AD, who can be very difficult. Her last ‘sulk’ was because I did not show enough enthusiasm for her new job. She is the eldest of 3 and has issues with everyone except her youngest brother, I’m sure you’re not the only mother who has issues with her daughter - mothers and daughters !!
Unfortunately, you just have to placate her, rather than have a major fallout. I am a few years younger than you, but I feel I can’t deal with confrontation any more. When I sense that something’s brewing, I just bow out of the situation, because I just want peace and quiet.
Perhaps, like me, you feel you are walking on eggshells all the time.
Btw, in my case, I am divorced, and I think there’s a lot of ‘stirring’ going on, when she visits her father and his new wife.
Hope you feel better , knowing you’re not alone flowers

Kate1949 Mon 27-Jun-22 11:36:12

You have my sympathy. Eggshells here too.