Gransnet forums

Relationships

Sadness and Disappointment

(11 Posts)
LinFreed Mon 25-Jul-22 12:37:33

I'm about to move away from the family home where I was widowed 5 years ago. Due to wanting to move away from the area, but mainly due to the expense of upkeep.

I organised a 'last supper' here for the family on Saturday. We were supposed to be 9 in all. I used some food from my freezer and bought in lots of fruit and salads.

My daughter's in-laws over from Canada were invited to come, but DD informed me in the afternoon they might be too tired after flying in day before.

So from 9 to 7 people. Then DD says my GS 8 felt unwell ( he gets very anxious) & the in-laws who couldn't come were going to babysit him instead.

My niece & nephew hadn't turned up the time they said. When I called, niece said she had totally forgotten and was very apologetic. So, from 9 to 4! My dog has been living on the leftovers since!.

Yesterday, I was supposed to meet my adult son ( who couldn't get to the supper) at Waterloo Station for lunch. When he didn't show, I called him & he groggily said he'd slept in...he did however make a huge effort to get to me and was very loving when I told him the disaster of my last night's supper.

Today, I'm feeling very emotional packing up my house, where my husband died and where I suffered all the raw grief of widowhood. Alot of furniture and bric a brac is being given away to charity and the minimal rest in storage, while I spend the summer in my bolthole by the sea. I have just finished a 2 year Fine Art diploma and 4 years as a local authority Councillor too.

All bittersweet, but at 70 I'm moving forward with hope for the future and new beginnings.

Namsnanny Mon 25-Jul-22 12:46:36

First of all, my condolences on the death of your husband.
I do empathise, people can be so ...........(fill in the gap) sometimes
Well done you for getting through such a hard time the past 5 years.
You clearly are a positive person at heart, so I hope your attitude brings you some rewards in your new home flowers

Allsorts Mon 25-Jul-22 12:48:09

How traumatic gor you, but you’ve done the really hard bit and at least you have a bolt hole so won’t be homeless, things can only get better. Have you put everything in storage and know where you will move to? The main thing is you have a plan.
Regarding your family, sometimes things just don’t go according to plan, they didn’t realise what a bitter sweet day it was for you.
All the very best for the future, let us know how you are.

LinFreed Mon 25-Jul-22 12:52:21

I've had an offer accepted on a place nearby, which has a lovely roof terrace and views. So i'm looking forward to painting there, as well as at my seaside bolthole.

Yes, can only be positive on this life. Life is too short to be miserable & negative. I'm grateful for everything I have, and everyone, in my life....who are there for me

Smileless2012 Mon 25-Jul-22 12:56:40

Oh dear, what a disastrous series of events LinFreed no wonder you're feeling so emotional today. Leaving the family home where you lost your DH 5 years ago is a huge undertaking and I so admire you, for what you have accomplished with your Fine Art Diploma and 4 years serving your local community.

I wish you peace and happiness as you begin this next chapter of your life flowers.

crazyH Mon 25-Jul-22 13:07:04

You have achieved so much - I applaud you ?
I can see how disappointed you are about the ‘last supper’ you planned. Don’t mull over it. You have so many things to look forward to ..new house, new beginnings. I wish you all the luck in the world in your new house flowers

Chewbacca Mon 25-Jul-22 13:14:17

You have achieved so much - I applaud you

I'll second that! How do you feel about asking some family members for a house warming get together, once your in and settled? It would be the start of welcoming them to your new beginning and lay the ghost of what happened at the weekend to rest perhaps?

Redhead56 Mon 25-Jul-22 14:21:37

An emotional time for you but don’t look back you have your memories to cherish the rest of your life. Well done for the achievements you have accomplished take your time settling in. Enjoy exploring your new environment making new friends and seeing your family when they do visit ?

VioletSky Mon 25-Jul-22 14:30:37

No wonder you feel sad and disappointed!

I hope they make it up to you

Georgesgran Mon 25-Jul-22 14:35:29

Sounds like they need a good kick up the proverbial. Still you sound very positive and excited, so don’t dwell on it. A little get together in your new home sounds like a good idea. On a slightly sour note, perhaps a taste of their own medicine wouldn’t go amiss? Can’t believe I wrote that, but ……

LinFreed Mon 25-Jul-22 14:48:32

Georgesgran Don't worry, I've flagged it up! I refuse to let it upset me ..my dear friends are furious for me though.