Gransnet forums

Relationships

Things are not always what they seem?

(12 Posts)
LeonoraRavenscroft Sun 21-Aug-22 12:14:57

A friend of 20 years ,who always enjoyed the finer things in life, was a strong individual and had lots of friends and family and good social life, was suddenly faced with her OH being taken permanently ill. She found herself in the position of carer during her later elderly years and seemed to change over night. She would make all sorts of arrangements to go out but cancel at the last minute and also seemed to turn quite aggressive in quite simple conversations about say the fact that my grandchild would not greens etc. She became very hard to spend time with and I felt wrung out at each meeting. However, being me, I let it go and would send messages and texts asking how she and her family were keeping. She did not reply for months. Recently, she contacted me to go out on a certain day and unfortunately I was unable to oblige as I had a previous arrangement. I received a message back saying that our friendship had run its course, she unfriended me on FB and that was that. However, as I had been through some pretty tough family stuff myself, I seemed to understand where she was coming from. I saw her as overwhelmed adjusting to her new situation, her life had changed and she was responsible for OH's welfare. My decision was to leave the door open and, if she wants to contact me, then that's fine. I just tried to put myself in her shoes and remember becoming quite defensive when in a not too dissimilar situation. Who knows what goes on in some people's lives?

Caleo Sun 21-Aug-22 12:18:50

LeonoraR, how wise and empathetic

JaneJudge Sun 21-Aug-22 12:25:26

Well done for being open minded. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. So many people struggling with issues we have no idea about. The exhaustion created by being a spouse carer is isolating in itself and of course will affect mood sad flowers it will be a shame if she loses you too

Shelflife Sun 21-Aug-22 23:02:52

Well done ! The door is open for your friend and I am sure she knows that.

Smileless2012 Mon 22-Aug-22 16:13:50

You're a good friend Leonorasmile.

crazyH Mon 22-Aug-22 16:16:21

Yes Leonara you are a good friend.

Kate1949 Mon 22-Aug-22 16:25:27

Yes you are a good friend. I always think the saying 'Walk a mile in someone else's shoes' is very apt.

Mine Mon 22-Aug-22 16:35:45

Hi Leonara.....10 out if 10 for being so understanding.. Such a lovely friend....

AGAA4 Mon 22-Aug-22 16:45:21

She is lucky to have you as a friend. She may need you one day and you will still be there.

tickingbird Mon 22-Aug-22 17:47:38

You are a wise and thoughtful friend. I hope your friend gets in touch.

Patsy70 Mon 22-Aug-22 18:23:01

I do hope she realises what a very good friend you are Leonora. ?

Lucca Mon 22-Aug-22 18:31:06

I don’t want to sidetrack but I think your decision is absolutely right because I can kind of empathise with your friend I think. When I got my terminal cancer diagnosis suddenly there were a couple of friends I couldn’t bring myself to talk to on the phone and could only text, and a couple who I could FaceTime see easily and talk to….very weird..
sorry if that’s muddled?