Gransnet forums

Relationships

Right for doing wrong...again

(13 Posts)
3211123rjc Tue 30-Aug-22 17:56:42

This might be a long message, I need some perspective on this, but it's a situation born decades ago. My ex husband died some 21 months ago at the age of 72 during lock down. He had alcohol related dementia and was a heavy smoker. He was estranged from our daughter, who had to shut him out of her life for years, for the good of her mental health. Our son then took up the responsibly of looking after him, even though he lives abroad. His sister had had enough and couldn't forgive the stuff that had happened, our son however has a sense of duty.
The funeral was during lock down, which started an even bigger rift between my son and his sister, because the man didn't have a will and with the restrictions of lockdown meant the funeral arrangements were causing discontent between the two of them, they managed to agree on a cremation, but as to who should be notified was the problem, she thought practicality should be attended to first, rather than telling their fathers family, who had never bothered to keep in touch with him. Her brother on the other hand had more sentimental thoughts. My daughter had decided not to be angry, went along with the suggestions made by her brother against her better judgement. Lockdown rules meant she had to leave her children with her partner, so he was unable to be there to support her, her brother has no children so was able to attend with his partner. Since then she has hardly been in touch with her brother. My son retuned to his life abroad and has been home numerous times since then. However, he was not able to take home the ashes and asked me if I would keep them safe. They have been with me since Jan 2021
He told his sister where he thought it would be nice to scatter the ashes, she totally disagreed, they had harsh words(again).
In the meantime, my extremely patient understanding husband agreed to store the ashes here, at our home, whilst someone plucked up the courage to talk about what to do.
This summer he'd had enough, he'd had several conversations with my son, who didn't know what to do for the best, so my husband agreed to have the conversation with my daughter. This happened and went rather better than anyone had hoped for. She suggested the ashes were split and then she could do what she wanted with her share and let her brother sort his share. I had spoken to my son about this several months before that that might be a responsible thing to do, I don't recall him disagreeing . Seems I was wrong.
Told him on a video call I had taken half of the ashes to his sisters on a recent visit, and I was unable to tell him due to his work, his anger and rage were staggering to say the least, and he cut the call. I then had a message from him telling me I had over stepped a line, I had no right to do that without discussing it with him first. That I as the ex wife, and his step father, had no right to give his estranged sister half of the ashes. He was not going to discuss or debate the matter. He is expecting me, no, demanding that I go and get the ashes back from his sister!!!
I divorced their father in 1993, spent some very hard 7 years by myself with the two of them, sent them both off to Uni with little help from their father, and now I'm the whipping boy!!
So, Gransnetters, what would you do? Appease my son and act upon his demands?, or leave my daughter to her happy place just now, after struggling since she was 16 to find it, due to the horrible home live we had because of the man who treated us all with contempt.sad Quite frankly, the rage my son displayed on that video call was frightening and brought back some very unpleasant memories for me.

Baggs Tue 30-Aug-22 18:06:57

Oh my! I'm so sorry you're going through this, 321! Also for your husband who did his best. I hardly know what to say but hope someone with possible suggestions might come forward flowers

Elizabeth27 Tue 30-Aug-22 18:18:54

I would leave it as it is,to me it would not be fair for one to have all of the ashes.

If your son keeps on at you then tell him to take it up with his sister.

It was good of you and your husband to get involved in the first place.

Fleur20 Tue 30-Aug-22 19:01:41

Send him his 'share' of the ashes and step back. It is sad and pathetic that two grown adults could not conduct themselves with dignity and compassion at such a time.
You husband is a saint.
Personally I would have set a date, giving them time to sort it out... then if they couldnt agree, flushed them down the loo.
You owe the deceased nothing.

Limcha Tue 30-Aug-22 19:12:26

I would leave the issue alone all together. They both had ample time to come get the ashes from you. They left them in your home knowing that was not where their father’s remains should have been in the first place. Their inability to maturely work out this issue is not your problem. They are adults. Step back and let them get on with it. Your son has no right to be cross with you, and his disrespectful demand that you go sort out his business doesn’t deserve to be dignified. He is not your father. Let him throw his tantrums with his sister.

wildswan16 Tue 30-Aug-22 19:35:29

Tell him once - if he wants the ashes it is up to him to contact his sister and sort it out. Tell him to be sure and collect the other half from you by xx date. Tell him you want nothing more to do with the quarrel between them, that you love them both and their shenanigans are upsetting you.

Then stand back and refuse to be involved.

So sorry you are in the middle of two very unruly children.

AskAlice Tue 30-Aug-22 19:47:12

I agree with Limcha. They are not children, they are grown adults and should be able to communicate with each other in a mature way. As wildswan said, try to stand back and let them sort out their own issues with each other without involving you or your very patient husband. Sending best wishes to you both x

Maggierose Tue 30-Aug-22 19:51:23

Is he upset because he doesn’t get on with his sister? Or is he upset at the thought of the ashes being divided? It’s the remains of his father and he might feel squeamish about separating them.

Norah Wed 31-Aug-22 05:11:47

Limcha

I would leave the issue alone all together. They both had ample time to come get the ashes from you. They left them in your home knowing that was not where their father’s remains should have been in the first place. Their inability to maturely work out this issue is not your problem. They are adults. Step back and let them get on with it. Your son has no right to be cross with you, and his disrespectful demand that you go sort out his business doesn’t deserve to be dignified. He is not your father. Let him throw his tantrums with his sister.

Hand it all to your children, no appeasing either AC.

Beautful Wed 31-Aug-22 07:59:18

No matter how much you love them ... let them get on with it ... like others have said they are adults ... hard as it seems if they contact you about this ignor them ... you are in the middle ... if they are nice & not mention it , yes answer but as soon as this is mentioned ignor them ... hard I know ... why should you get caught up in their disagreements ?

eazybee Wed 31-Aug-22 09:38:31

Why was your son unable to take the ashes home with him?

Are you able to send ashes by post? If not, send him an email telling him to collect his share on his next visit, otherwise they will go into compost. His problem, not yours.

Frankly, I couldn't bear the thought of having someone's ashes in my house.

luluaugust Wed 31-Aug-22 09:48:47

You have done your best, tell your son to collect the ashes next time he is home and leave it at that.

3211123rjc Wed 31-Aug-22 12:52:50

Thanks to all of you that have replied. After I submitted my feed, I felt better for seeing it in print. I appreciate all of the advise, and you have all said out aloud what I have thought.
I love the suggestion about putting the remaining ashes on the compost, as I've stored them firstly in the shed and then the attic. Which truly caused some laughter amongst our friends. Also to the person who rightly called my husband a saint. He is the type of man I was always envious of with other women, I was in an abusive and coercive marriage and I now smile every day at a man who puts me and my feelings first. Hence his agreement to store the ashes here.