Hello, Sorry for the late comment. I'm not here much. I don't need to know the what, whys and wheres. You've got a niggle and want some thoughts or experiences people may have.
Working backwards, I don't know anyone who called anything off in the last few weeks. On this I would ask myself has this been building (or on a constant simmer)? In this case, pulling the plug may be for the best. It's far harder to undo after the event. However, if the doubts are very last minute that may just be nerves. I have zero experience so those are just my thoughts.
As for "lingering doubts and then they slowly faded as the day approached" unfortunately, I do have experience. My experiences are related to lies or being mislead by missing information.
Lying is a very bad start. If they are found out rather than telling you it shows a lack of respect and maybe an indication they don't see you as equal. In this case it is probably best to put a stop to anything going further. I left this too late and spent 6 years trying to make it work - it didn't.
Being mislead by not being told may lead to difficulties if someone leaves a really crucial part of their history out until marriage is planned. Later they may turn out to be the sort of person who generally doesn't tell you things. It doesn't make life easy as there's always doubts. It can work (sort of) if the doubts can be squashed but it is likely to rankle over the years (decades) if you stick with it.
I don't believe in 100% certainty but I do think being misled or lied to are red flags that I wish I'd been wise to.
Even More Word Pairs (from Aug 2025)

