Gransnet forums

Relationships

Difficult relationship with my daughter ( ongoing )

(14 Posts)
Notjustaprettyface Thu 21-Oct-21 20:08:00

Despite doing everything I can to help my daughter mainly with childcare , we have a very difficult relationship . I have posted about this before but I keep hoping it will get better . I don’t want her to cut me off from seeing my 2 grandchildren who I love dearly but I fear that one day , she will .
I am one of 3 sisters and there was a family rift a few years ago ; I have now made up with the one sister ( always was in touch with the other one ) but my daughter resents that because she doesn’t like my sister .
My son is getting married on Saturday and both my sisters are coming but I fear that my daughter will cause a scene or if not , that she will resent me for ever simply for talking to my sister .
It’s like emotional blackmail and I don’t know how to handle it and I certainly don’t want her to spoil the wedding
Help please !

Bibbity Thu 21-Oct-21 20:10:09

What was the rift about? Why does your daughter dislike your sister?

Notjustaprettyface Thu 21-Oct-21 20:15:20

My sister is a bit volatile and a bit of a Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde
She can be great but when she loses it she can be vile
She lost her temper in front of my daughter once too many times I think and I think that s what it’s about although I can’t be sure there’s not something deeper but I can’t be sure , honestly

MissAdventure Thu 21-Oct-21 20:23:52

It isn't up to your daughter to police who you may or may not talk to, though.
It isn't her wedding; she is a guest, and should behave as one.

I know that doesn't help you to negotiate how to handle this, but what option do you have, if you are going to spend your life bowing to her demands?

It's not something I would do, regardless of wanting to see your grandchildren.

I would go, do what you want, (just like your daughter does) and let her get over herself.

Notjustaprettyface Thu 21-Oct-21 20:43:51

Thanks , I think you are right , I will follow your advice
I just hope she doesn’t ‘ punish’ me by cutting me off from the kids
It’s a risk I have to take

Smileless2012 Thu 21-Oct-21 20:46:11

Great post MissA. I hope you take note of it Notjustaprettyface, you can't spend your life walking on egg shells.

I hope you have a wonderful day of celebrations on Saturday at your son's wedding.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Oct-21 20:48:48

I'm sure that your daughter knows full where her bread is buttered prettyface, and any tantrums will be forgotten when she needs chilcare/money or any of the other things I'm guessing you provide.

Notjustaprettyface Thu 21-Oct-21 20:52:46

Thank you smileless
Yes I intend to follow the advice given by miss A
I just need to be strong

Notjustaprettyface Thu 21-Oct-21 20:53:40

Again Miss A you are absolutely right but then she will have other tantrums later on and so we start again …

MissAdventure Thu 21-Oct-21 20:56:57

Very difficult for you, prettyface, but it's a common theme on this site.
Good luck with the wedding, I hope you can relax and enjoy it. thanks

Shelflife Thu 21-Oct-21 21:03:13

Your relationship with your sisters is nothing to do with your daughter! If she dislikes her aunt that's too bad but no reason for you to break a sisterly bond. If she dares to cause a scene at your son's wedding then she will be seen for who she is - time she grew up. Enjoy the wedding !

Notjustaprettyface Thu 21-Oct-21 21:08:02

Thank you shelflife , your advice really helps as well
I think she is out of control and needs to grow up as well

Nonogran Thu 21-Oct-21 21:09:08

Be circumspect around your sisters(s) & also your daughter. Don’t spend too much time with any of them. That way nobody can point a favouritism finger at you. Mingle, keep antenna up and enjoy your day!

Notjustaprettyface Thu 21-Oct-21 23:11:00

Thank you nonogran