2nd June 1953 - Coronation Day - I was 7. I'd been involved for some time in advance of the long-awaited day as my dad was on the committee organising our local street party. On Sunday mornings I'd go with him as he called at houses in the area to collect the weekly subscriptions from people to pay for the party and I was pretty excited as the day grew closer.
I went to dancing classes and my mum had entered me for the talent competition which was to take place during the street party. I was to sing the coronation hit song of the time, "In a golden coach there's a heart of gold, riding through old London town". On Coronation Day it was cold, grey and raining, so I was told to change the words of the song from "The sun will shine down over old London town" to "The rain has come down over old London town". After some damp games, activites and three-legged races down the road which was closed off for the party, the talent competition started. It took place on a stage which was set up at one end of the road. I'm pretty certain there was live music and that someone played the piano to accompany my song. I was very suprised to learn I was the winner when the results were announced, and was presented with a Prudence Kitten glove puppet which I still have somewhere.
In the evening there was food and a fancy dress party for the children in the school hall. Jelly, pink blancmange and fairy cakes followed by a lot of running about afterwards. I was very fond of, and proud of, my Coronation ankle socks which I wore that day. They had gold crowns around the tops and they almost certainly came from Woolworth's.