Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Share your feel-good stories reminiscing about Lollipop men and women and you could win a £300 Love2Shop voucher NOW CLOSED

(77 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Apr-16 16:48:23

For many communities, Lollipop men and ladies are a thing of the past. They were part of the community and spent every day helping children and families cross the road. Churchill Insurance wants to introduce extra lollipop men and women across Great Britain to help keep our children safe. Churchill is interested in hearing your stories about ‘Lollipoppers’. Did you used to have a Lollipop man or lady in your local community? Did you know him or her to say hi to? As a child, did you feel safer having them there? Please share any stories you have with Churchill below.

Lucy Brooksbank, Head of Marketing at Churchill, added: "Lollipoppers are the stalwarts of our communities, national treasures who bring fun and joy to everyone’s school run, as well as importantly keeping children safe. Churchill looks out for customer's best interests, so what better way to demonstrate that than by supporting our Lollipoppers and taking action to keep them on our streets? With child pedestrian casualties during the school run still an issue in the UK, we want to put 50 Lollipoppers on school crossings. We want people from across the UK, whether they are a parent or just concerned about a local crossing to nominate their schools and help to keep children safe during the school run.”

Everyone who posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 Love2Shop voucher.

Make sure your school has a chance of receiving Lollipopper funding by nominating at www.churchill.com/lollipoppers

Full terms & conditions at www.churchill.com/lollipoppers

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Esskay Wed 18-May-16 16:13:08

At the local primary school where I worked we had the most lovely lollipop lady called Dot. Dot only recently retired after 35 years of lollipopping service. She was wonderful and the children were most intrigued by her magic 'wand' - she would use this to set off the yellow beacons at either end of the village to warn the traffic that she would be manning the crossing at the start and end of the school day. Most adults were also intrigued by the magic 'wand' too - she waved it under the beacon and it suddenly came on. It was only after I'd been at the school for several months that I asked how it all worked and Dot told me that it was cleverly done by a magnet in the end of the 'wand' - the magnet made the switch connect and the lights came on. I was sworn to secrecy never to reveal to the children how it worked! Dot was a real character and is greatly missed - sadly she has not been replaced.

KAKADU Wed 18-May-16 13:33:49

I went to infant\junior school in the early 60s and in those days our village didn't have any lollipop personal. However, when we moved to a near by town their were quite few doing a great job in making crossing the road safe for us. There seemed to be a period over the years where many lollipop personnel have disappeared from our busy road. A major part of this is the introduction in many parts of the country of pelican crossing and of course the famous green man crossing lights.

teepee55 Fri 13-May-16 08:59:46

We didn't have a lollipop person when I was a small child and we had to cross a busy main road. But my children had a lovely friendly lollipop lady who safely crossed them over at Parklands in Northampton. It meant I could safely cross and the children learnt road safety awareness. It also allowed some children to walk to school safely by themselves without parents. Sadly some parents still took them a mile or less in their cars, usually big 4x4s and parking badly. I think they just need educating to walk and use the lollipoppers, get some fresh air and exercise.

MaggieMay69 Thu 12-May-16 10:30:19

Our lollipop man was the light of our mornings when me & my friends would walk to school in the 60's! In fact one particular morning I remember he was having a laugh with none other than Lynda Bellingham (she was in the year above me in our Aylesbury school!) because she was being cheeky!
Our lollipop man I believe was called Ted, this was back when if a gaggle of school children decided to chat with an adult, there was nothing out of sorts or weird about it, in fact if you didn't stop to talk you'd be seen as rude! These days I see my grandchildren and their friends rushing about, not having the time to chat, especially with their lollipop lady,( who they seem to take for granted, so I do always remind them how much harder it would be without her, and we always buy her chocolates!) They do a great job.

GrandmaKT Wed 11-May-16 23:11:34

In 1967 when I was eight we moved house. My sister and I were sent to the local primary school, but it was awful and I really didn't settle there and became very withdrawn and unhappy. Long story short, my parents, God bless them decided that if they both worked full time jobs and we did without luxuries like holidays and fancy clothes they could just about to send us to a nearby private school.
We all started at the new school, my sister and I in the main building (which was just a large house with the headmistress living on the top floor) and our brother in the nursery. We were happy at the school, but because our parents were both working long hours we were basically 'latch-key kids'. We would go home, get a snack, do homework, watch TV (not necessarily in that order!) and while away the hours until our mum and dad came home.
This is where our lovely lollipop lady, Mrs Dawson came into the story. She didn't only see us across the road, but would spend time chatting and playing with us. She would bring little sweets and even a skipping rope and French-skipping elastic. When she had finished her crossing duties, she would join in with the skipping etc. It helped fill a gap in the long afternoons. I think the school disapproved and eventually had a word with her (by this time there was a small gang of 'regulars' gathered every evening on her crossing corner!) I often think about her and what a lovely caring person she must have been.

naomi007 Wed 11-May-16 19:27:39

We always had a lollipop lady when we were growing up. I think they are a great idea and sadly never see them now where I live. They kept us all safe and our parents could relax knowing that they didn't have to worry about us crossing the road going to school. I think a campaign to bring them back can only be a good thing.

janbattle Mon 09-May-16 10:37:35

My grandfather was an excellent lollipop man. He decided that as he was an early riser,he wanted something worthwhile with which to fill in his days. He loved his job,meeting all the children. He only had one child, my mother and one grandchild,me so he loved all that chatter. He was invited to all school events, and if the children baked any cakes, he was always included. He didn't do the job alone,he always had a canine companion,his dog Nancy, was made a big fuss every day and didn't understand school holidays. However some of the children called at the house to ask if they could take her out to play!

rainbowbutterfly Sun 08-May-16 09:22:18

Gosh can you imagine what H&S would say about that now? lol. But what fun for children then.

rainbowbutterfly Sun 08-May-16 09:19:34

wow, only one car. Wish it were like that now!

rainbowbutterfly Sun 08-May-16 09:16:14

In the late 60's we never had a lollipop man/lady to cross the roads but I lived in a small town so it wasn't too much of a problem.

It was only when we moved and I had my son that the Council provided lollipop people and I must say they were a blessing. Around here they even have a pelican crossing AND a lollipop person for the children. Can't be too careful.

nessa38ish Sat 07-May-16 18:32:34

our primary had a lovely lollipop lady,sadly she was replaced by some flashing lights near the school. such a shame, not the same as a friendly smile and a hello x

daisybeebee Thu 05-May-16 12:55:50

We had a wonderful lollipop lady at my primary school who everyone called Nanny Val. I never remember her missing a day whatever the weather and she knew every child by name . When she retired the village held a fabulous party for her and the children made a big mural to remember her by in the school. She always had a smile on her face and had an ability to communicate with the children that made them listen. She was a lovely lady and I have often thought about her and know she would love this initiative.

Dartzie62 Wed 04-May-16 20:27:15

My first experience of Lollipop persons was when I came to this country; now I smile each time I see them as they proudly usher our precious children across the roads to school.
I believe they are 'invisible' to many, 'annoying' to motorists, but they are so necessary and wonderful for all they do.

hideandseekpig Wed 04-May-16 20:01:18

I loved our lollypop lady when I was a kid, she had a lovely black lab that would happily be stroked by all the kids once they had safely crossed. She knew everyone's name (the lollypop lady not the dog!). I remember when her dog died and we were all so heartbroken, then the following week she had a new black lab puppy. Wonderful lady.

edmontonkitty Wed 04-May-16 17:14:34

I remember my lollipop lady from primary school mostly because when my older sister fell over after slipping on ice when she was crossing the road the lollipop lady called me back:
"Your friend's hurt herself."
"She's not my friend, she's my sister!" I called back and I carried on to school.
The next day my sister's broken arm was in plaster. The lollipop lady asked me every day for the next three years how my 'friend' was!

CharlieMouse Wed 04-May-16 17:05:01

The lollipop lady in our village diced with death on a daily basis. The number of cars, vans and lorries that didn't stop for her as she stood at the edge of the curb was astounding. My children knew to wait until she was standing in the road before they started to cross. She was also a dinner lady and knew most of the children by name. They were all very fond of her. I was always most impressed with her ability to stand out in all weathers in sandals. She didn't seem to feel the cold!

paperbackbutterfly Wed 04-May-16 16:48:29

Our lollipop man was called Derek. Back in the 60's we always called him Mr Derek and he was cheerful and spoke to every child who crossed, he knew all our names. At Christmas he would give us a sweet each. One year he played Santa at my local church. I am told I sat on his lap and asked him, quite seriously, "Is Mr Derek your brother?" It appears that Santa agreed that Mr Derek was indeed his brother. That rumour went around our infant school!

maryhill80 Wed 04-May-16 14:41:09

My gran was the lollipop lady was so much fun especially as she went onto being my sons to until he was in p2. It's hard to believe that would happen but she loved her job immensely! she was a well known lady who had fun with all my friends and for many years was treated with gifts from us all who had lots of respect and everyone loved her. Miss those days. They don't make lollipop ladies like my gran no more it's just about crossing the road I used to love seeing her every morning!

cazzar1 Wed 04-May-16 10:37:05

I'm in my 50's now so it's a long time ago that I went to school. I remember my lollipop lady though. I walked to school alone when I was about 7 years old (which now seems unbelievably young) but loved it when I got to the crossing. The lollipop lady was always smiling and said 'Morning, how are you today?' I was quite shy so never answered her but was really happy she spoke to me. She was always happy, in any weather. She obviously enjoyed her job!

jochrisbryan Wed 04-May-16 10:11:23

My lollipop man was called Walter, he was lovely and always had time for parents and children. He would hand out mint imperials to Mums and children sometimes. Always happy and he was loved by many.

cheekychicken24 Tue 03-May-16 15:48:48

I was at junior school in the seventies, and still remember clearly Mrs Mudd our lollipop lady. She was lovely, friendly, and we all liked her. The same school now has a pedestrian crossing outside, so no lollipop lady, but I frequently see children risking the dash across the road rather than waiting for the little green man - this would never have happened in Mrs Mudd's day!

Our local grammar school also has a crossing outside, but they have a lollipop man too - I would assume he's paid for by the school rather than the local council. He looks very very grumpy when I drive past, and all he does is push the button on the crossing to let the kids cross - he doesn't go with them! All seems a bit pointless really.

vampirequeen Tue 03-May-16 11:24:46

I used to be a lollypop lady. I loved the job even though I took my life in my hands every shift. I was a very large lady in a bright yellow coat (I looked like a giant lemon lol) but still seemed to be invisible to many drivers even though it was also a pelican crossing. The children were usually very good but there were a few lads who were lovely but also little beggars lol. One day they crossed then wedged a match into the pelican button. This caused the lights to change regularly even when there was no one to cross. You can imagine who the drivers blamed and the language that came from some of them.

The next day the headteacher described to them in no uncertain terms what had happened and what would happen to them if they ever did it again. They were so contrite. They hadn't meant to cause me any trouble. It was just a prank. From then on they were as good as gold.

vivianallman Tue 03-May-16 11:09:46

my partners school although on a busy junction does not have a lollipop man or woman... they used to .. but due to funding it was finished, when i was at school we didn't have lollipop men and woman for us to go to school, i don't think they thought there was the need, as there were not too many cars... we once were sent out to collect car number plate numbers on a little pad... but after an hour and only one car we gave up.. these days with the amount of traffic , lollipop people are needed, they do a wonderful job and i know are respected by the pupils and parents alike, what a wonderful idea to try and have lollipop people for every busy road.

Finnglas Tue 03-May-16 10:55:29

My grandad was a lollipop man after he retired from the post office in the 1950-60s. I remember visiting and seeing his lollipop propped up by the front door and his heavy hi-vis jacket hanging up. He'd suddenly disappear for a while and we'd realise he'd gone on duty. In all weathers he'd go out and always had a smile and wave for 'his children'. He was such a jolly man and the kids all loved him. Later on when I was at senior school in the 60's we had to do 'bus stop duty' as prefects. One of us had to stop the traffic dressed up like my grandad in a hi-vis jacket and holding the lollipop, while the others divided the bus queue and made sure everyone got on the buses safely.

LynnKnowles Tue 03-May-16 10:35:17

We have a young woman called Jenny, who has been a lollipop lady on our very busy road for years. It is such a busy and dangerous road that a 51 year old woman was knocked down and killed in a hit and run incident on this same road only last week. I think we forget just how brave these people are - as well as kind. Jenny even gives my dog little treats.