I have CFS and used to catch just about every cold going, so have done a huge amount of research on this over the years. To keep it brief, what works best for me is taking several grams of vitamin C the instant I feel a tickly throat (on top of my normal daily vitamin C supplement, which can also help with prevention, especially at this time of year) - just like it says at the top of the page. Seriously, it can work, as long as you take enough, soon enough. #2 on my list would be to avoid sugar. Virtually impossible at this time of year, I know! But when I'm fighting off a bug, and I have a sweet treat, the cold often breaks through, or tries to. Sugar depresses your immune system. One reason why I've always been skeptical about the honey-and-lemon drinks advised for colds.