Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Can you spot a scam? Give Take Five to Stop Fraud’s test a go and share what you think - £300 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(278 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Jan-18 11:12:55

Take Five, have launched their new ‘Too Smart To Be Scammed?’ test, as part of Take Five to Stop Fraud week and they would love you to take the test and share your result and your thoughts.

Here’s what Take Five have to say: “Take Five to Stop Fraud is a national campaign that offers advice to help everyone protect themselves from preventable financial fraud. It educates individuals to help them spot scams and urges people to stop and consider whether the situation is genuine – to Take Five and think if what you’re being told really makes sense. Remember, ‘My money? My info? I don’t think so.”

It is becoming increasingly difficult to spot a scam as criminals are more sophisticated than ever; however there are still steps you can take to protect yourself and learn how to spot a scam before you have given away any personal details. Take the test, find out if you’re too smart to be scammed and let us know what you think. How did you score? Did you learn a new way to protect yourself from scams and frauds? What did you find the hardest about spotting a scam? Were there any bits you were surprised you got wrong or right?

Everyone who takes the quiz and posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

BradfordLass72 Fri 25-Jan-19 08:22:03

One thing I would pass on is that when an e-mail looks to be fairly credible, perhaps even using your name and some personal details, let your cursor hover over their email address. (on PCs)
If it's a genuine company or contact, you'll see the address you know ([email protected] for instance).
If it's not, you'll see something like [email protected]

MissAdventure banks here in NZ usually contact clients via the client's personal page, not by text, email or phone for just these very security reasons.
The personal page has to be accessed by login and password and the site itself is secure.

If, in an emergency, they must phone they ask you to go to the secure site for details they won't divulge on an insecure line.

NannyJan53 Sat 17-Feb-18 15:35:50

I scored 7/8. I ticked 'I don't think so' to a genuine text.

EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Feb-18 10:39:34

Congratulations to @GrannieAnnie123 for winning the £300 voucher! smile

papaver50 Wed 14-Feb-18 22:10:52

8/8 but think I would also err on the side of caution with the real bank ones if I received something similar.

Yaracuy Wed 14-Feb-18 19:54:13

I scored 6/8.
I think I misread one of my fails but I found the quiz really interesting as I always react by intuition only.
This has made more aware of my own attitude.

maria08k Wed 14-Feb-18 18:15:54

I got 6/8 and i'am very surprised i was sure that i would get 8/8!!

Jen8 Wed 14-Feb-18 16:02:47

I also was too suspicious about one of the genuine messages, but I would rather be too cautious than not careful enough.

debra1968 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:58:31

7/8 I think I can usually spot a fraudulent message

jazzitup Wed 14-Feb-18 09:42:43

4 out of 8 for me which was a surprise, will have to check more carefully.

hdh74 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:36:40

7/8 I was overcautious about the one where I had to ring the bank, but I would have rung them, just not on any number texted, I would have looked the number up myself.

abigailflo Wed 14-Feb-18 08:17:00

I scored 6/8 as I was being too cautious but I wouldn't actually respond to a number on a text purporting to be from my bank to be honest I would always call the bank on the number I already have for them to be sure

angiehoggett Wed 14-Feb-18 08:13:36

7/8 I literally don't trust a thing but it's still scarey how open we are to fraud!

Dan29 Wed 14-Feb-18 02:52:44

8/8 grin

boo2410 Wed 14-Feb-18 02:14:29

8/8 for me, which I'm pleased about as I did stupidly get scammed once. Never again!! I hope.

JayJay1874 Wed 14-Feb-18 00:31:11

Disappointed to get 7/8 and not 8/8. I like to think i'm pretty vigilant. The one I got wrong was the one about the email from your plumber. I assumed as you were having work done, it was your plumber and you were expecting details that it would be legit but I understand the premise that you should always double check first. Makes sense.

Scooty413 Tue 13-Feb-18 21:53:08

I got 7 out of 8 but only because the question about the debit card seemed incorrect. I would expect them to say card ending xxx. I've had texts from my bank about whether certain activity is fraudulent and they differ from the example given, which is why I got it wrong.

I think the quiz is great though so I've shared it in the hope it will help others.

Inyosi Tue 13-Feb-18 21:08:47

I scored 7/8 and this was because I'm a bit too over cautious about receiving these messages. Having been a victim of having my card cloned once I'm now overly cautious of it happening again!

gills2 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:07:26

Like lots of others I got 7/8 by mistaking a genuine message for a possibly fraudulent one. However I would still always contact my bank directly regarding any communication via email.

Chewbacca Tue 13-Feb-18 18:44:10

8/8 for me. You have to read the texts carefully but to be honest, even if I thought that the text I'd received from my bank was kosher, I would still phone them and check before clicking on anything.

McGilchrist41 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:23:30

I thought I was pretty clued up but I got two wrong. I will not get them wrong again so thanks for that.

tinyboosh Mon 12-Feb-18 22:34:14

7 out of 8, but it's the one you get wrong that will let them in!

emilykerner Mon 12-Feb-18 22:10:11

I got 6 - must be more careful! A very useful quiz to spread awareness

tbuchanan2017 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:26:06

i scored 7 out of 8. i got the 6th one wrong.

dessa Mon 12-Feb-18 19:55:21

5 out of 8....I am very surprised. It was harder than I thought.
I think people who try to con us getting more advanced and trying to use every possibility to con us.

Moocow Mon 12-Feb-18 19:44:23

I got 8/8 too. i don't even feel safe using the machines outside the banks never mind online communications don't know how I'm going to manage if the final branch near me closes.