Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What advice would you give to your younger self? Share with Legal & General - NOW CLOSED

(624 Posts)
EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Feb-19 14:42:13

We’ve all been asked this question at some point. Our answers can vary from ‘I wish I’d taken more risks’ or ‘I would have stopped caring about what people think’, to ‘I wish I’d had more fun’ or ‘I wish I’d travelled the world more’. But if you really think about it, what practical advice would you have really benefited from when you were younger? What would you have told your younger self? What would you have done differently? A recent survey carried out across Mumsnet and Gransnet revealed that some Gransnet users consciously put off financial decisions. Is going further with your finances something you might have given more consideration to, with the benefit of hindsight? Whatever advice you’d like to give to your younger self, Legal & General would love to know.

Here’s what Legal & General have to say: “On our savings journey, a nudge in the right direction can make the world of difference when it comes to our financial futures. It’s starting off early, saving little and often over a longer period, that can really pay off*. Although it’s never too late to start saving, what tips and guidance would have motivated you to do more with your money and just get started?”

Would you have taken more risks when you were younger? Is there any information you wish you would have known back then, such as how to save into your pension, how to invest your money or even how to save your money from an earlier age? Would you like to tell your younger self to be more confident in the decisions you make? Or perhaps you wish you’d spent more time with friends and family?

Whatever the advice you would like to give to your younger self, post them on the thread below and everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).*

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs Apply

*Open 4/02/19 to 25/02/19. To enter please post on the thread below. One entry per person. One prize to be won: £300 voucher of winner’s choice (from a list). Winner chosen by random draw performed by computer process.

*The value of your investments can fall as well as rise and any income from them is not guaranteed. Legal & General Unit Trust Managers Limited.

sheilads105 Wed 06-Feb-19 09:02:16

Don't be scared

moonray Wed 06-Feb-19 09:03:00

Invest more time and money in my education, and also to follow my dreams no matter what other people said

janeyf Wed 06-Feb-19 09:20:33

Put as much effort into your A-Levels as you did your GCSEs and then there will be no regrets. Wait until the housing crash in 2008 before buying your home

Bill12 Wed 06-Feb-19 09:29:10

Listen to your mother!

Angie7777777 Wed 06-Feb-19 09:40:28

I would definitely say to look after my teeth as they are my biggest health problem area!

CassieJ Wed 06-Feb-19 09:48:57

To take a pension as early as possible and not to believe my husband of 22 years that we would always be together and there was no need for me to worry about a pension. I then wouldn't be in the position that I am at 60 years old --- single with no pension, so have to work until I drop.

gran1 Wed 06-Feb-19 09:54:30

You are a confident young woman go for it!

matthewsolly Wed 06-Feb-19 09:56:02

Stick to what you know

Staples Wed 06-Feb-19 09:59:45

Invest in the best pension you can afford!

lizd31 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:00:28

I would have ignored careers advice and gone to university as my teachers wanted me to do to study languages as there are so many more opportunities for women in languages now

liz1970 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:04:26

Save more and pick another career! ;)

carolvs1 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:10:25

Do not get into debt!

BusterTank Wed 06-Feb-19 10:13:04

Don't wish your life away . Enjoy every minute that comes along . Don't take life so seriously and don't sweat the small stuff . Life is for enjoying .

shellywkd Wed 06-Feb-19 10:13:37

Don't worry what other people think just do what makes you happy. You are an individual be proud of who you are.

Yaracuy Wed 06-Feb-19 10:16:37

I would say never to give up what she likes, the people that hurt you were just very envious of your abilities.

BeHappy Wed 06-Feb-19 10:18:11

Be confident in who you are, don't let other people's opinion define you.

CAllred1 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:27:47

Two things - no matter how little you earn - always save some money each month. Even if it’s a very small amount.

Plus - try to have the equivalent of 3 months salary in savings because if problems arise that will be your buffer. I always thought that was an unrealistic aim but twice when we’ve been hit with problems that was roughly how much we needed until things improved.

Yearoff Wed 06-Feb-19 10:28:27

I suffered horribly from social anxiety as a young adult. I’d tell myself that it wouldn’t always be like that and to relax and do the things I wanted to do.

tallandlong Wed 06-Feb-19 10:33:35

have more fun!!!

xxgeexx Wed 06-Feb-19 10:38:24

Be happy, stop worrying about peoples opinions of you and just live your life.

twirlywhirly Wed 06-Feb-19 10:40:18

dont worry,it cant solve anything smile

bobble5366 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:40:18

I'd say look after your finances, choose a fixed rate mortgage, and swap at the end of your term, along with all of your utilities - to a young person, it's a nuisance, I know, but it will save you £100's, maybe £1000's.

HHBBNN54 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:42:58

Save money instead of frittering it away on rubbish

Mildred Wed 06-Feb-19 10:52:08

love yourself.

mo3733 Wed 06-Feb-19 10:57:17

i would say dont settle for less than the best because you are worth it