Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Tell Collette Tours what’s stopped you from travelling to certain locations

(172 Posts)
Elrel Thu 07-Mar-19 00:30:56

Lack of a travelling companion. I'd like to go to Orkney, Cornwall and the West of Ireland. And, oddly, Dungeness, I'm not sure why!

Humbertbear Wed 06-Mar-19 23:26:27

Sorry that message shouldn’t have been here

Humbertbear Wed 06-Mar-19 23:20:09

Start with the Golden Triangle and add on Shiela if you can. It’s a wonderful experience.

lemongrove Wed 06-Mar-19 21:57:53

I would love to visit China, the poet Philip Larkin said the same, with the caveat of ‘if I could get there and back again in a day!’ I don’t think I would be so time limiting, but it’s such a long way to travel, and these days I am more of an armchair traveller anyway, if it’s outside Europe.
The language barrier is off putting too, and the feeling that I may give offence as customs are so different.
What fantastic scenery there, and The Great Wall, Jade Palace, terracotta warriers etc, so much to see.

CanadianGran Wed 06-Mar-19 20:05:08

A combination of time/money have affected travel decisions. As lovely as destination weddings are, it meant our travel budget for the year were planned for places we may not have chosen on our own!
I would love to go to South Pacific islands, New Zealand and Australia, but it is a long way to go1

Annapops Wed 06-Mar-19 19:53:02

I would love to visit Egypt and see the pyramids. Alas with the uncertainty over there regarding tourist attacks I fear I may never realise my dream.

Marmight Wed 06-Mar-19 19:20:44

I'm up for travelling to most places except the obviously dangerous ones, of which there are quite a few (just back from Oceania, so no problem there) but I just don't want to do it alone. I need to share the experience with someone, to be able to discuss the day's events, to say 'Look, isn't that bloody amazing!' or 'How about a drink' or 'Let's climb that tower'. A temporary husband/travel partner type person would do nicely. How about a travel partner agency? grin

honeymoon Wed 06-Mar-19 17:43:57

I would love to travel to Japan or Mexico...would be a dream come true x

Supergranbee Wed 06-Mar-19 17:43:00

I’ve been working my way through my bucket list but had to cancel a trip to South Africa last year as my heart rate went stupidly high. Meds sent it too low & doctor said I had to cancel ?. (Just 2 days before I was due to fly) Fortunately insured.

honeymoon Wed 06-Mar-19 17:42:59

The only barrier I have to travelling is the cost - I just cannot afford it and believe that travel is for the rich!

lilihu Wed 06-Mar-19 16:59:03

I’d love to visit New Zealand but flying Economy Class all that distance makes me feel queasy! I can’t sleep in cramped seats and it’s hard to read in dim light while everyone else appears to be sleeping. If there was more leg room, I’d go in a shot, but Business and First Class travel prices are way beyond my budget.

gillyknits Wed 06-Mar-19 15:58:46

I would love to go to Australia and New Zealand but the length of flight puts me off. I can manage about five hours but have hated anything longer (13hours to HongKong)
Would probably be better if it was first or business class so I could lie down, but that is so expensive

boats12 Wed 06-Mar-19 15:00:48

I would love to travel to Southern Ireland but my husband won't go. He went as a young man and loved it but felt very uneasy with the troubled times they then had and sadly it's marred his view to return.

Thingmajig Wed 06-Mar-19 13:08:25

We loved Egypt for the great snorkelling in the Red Sea but no longer feel it's safe to visit.
There are many places we would like to go to but find limited flights from the Scottish airports and it's such a nuisance being forced down to England and coming home again (usually from Manchester) is just dreadful after a long haul flight. In saying that, finding decently times flights even to Europe is well nigh impossible sometimes ... the airlines seem to think we all like to travel in the middle of the night!!! confused

Jane10 Tue 05-Mar-19 21:10:59

India has always intrigued me. However, I'm daunted by the thought of the heat and the sheer size of the country. I wouldn't know where best to go and where might be safest from a personal safety point of view but also to do with possibility of illness etc. India? Where to start?!

notanan2 Tue 05-Mar-19 21:01:19

"So what’s worried you about places you’ve always wanted to go to?"

Mainly I don't wanna ruin the planet for my children/grandchildren just so I get to see it for entertainment. That is stopping me particularly when it comes to long haul - the eco footprint.

lisapop Tue 05-Mar-19 20:48:07

The only barrier I have to travelling is the safety of the country I'm visiting.

Maybelle Tue 05-Mar-19 10:11:15

Lack of clear accessible information re wheelchair access for travellers, both during journeys and accommodation.
I have to make direct contact asking for suitability.
Always have to ask for info re special needs.
Fed up being special !

MiniMoon Tue 05-Mar-19 09:56:06

I too would love to visit Egypt. Since I was a little girl I have had a fascination with the Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt, the Pyramids etc. I wouldn't travel there in these unsettled times either. The Holy Land is another destination that I wouldn't go to.
It is sad that these places are so dangerous to tourists.

M0nica Tue 05-Mar-19 08:41:30

Lets put it this way, the countries I would like to visit are Yemen, Egypt and Syria.

Do I need to say anymore?

grannyactivist Mon 04-Mar-19 11:05:15

I have a foster son who, some years ago, returned to live in Taiwan after spending eleven years in the UK. I was his legal guardian during his time here and he's very much part of our family (my children regard him as their brother and he lists me as his mother on his Facebook page). I would love to visit him and spend time in his country, but the cost is prohibitive. Fortunately he has been able to visit us every year since he left except for last year - and I have literally just had a message to say he's coming home to see us next week. Yippee!

EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Mar-19 10:05:44

This activity is now closed

Everyone loves to travel and see the world, but places on our bucket lists aren’t always easy to explore. There are considerations and potential worries about everywhere we visit from the small “Will I like the food?” to the bigger “Is it safe to visit there at the moment?”. Travel company Collette Tours are interested to find out if there are any places you’d love to travel but haven’t, and what are the things that have put you off doing so.

Here’s what Collette Tours has to say: “As the longest-running tour operator in North America, Collette has provided guided travel for 100 years. With trips to all seven continents, Collette’s guests fulfil their deepest travel aspirations in a variety of ways with travel styles that are diversified to suit every traveller’s personal style.”

So what’s worried you about places you’ve always wanted to go to? Have you always wanted to explore Japan but worry about the language barrier? Perhaps you dream of travelling around different countries but aren’t sure how to start planning? Maybe seeing the Taj Mahal is on your bucket list but you’re not sure you’ll be able to manage well in the heat? Or you’d love to watch the sunrise over Machu Picchu but there’s a difficult hike to get there?

Whatever destinations you’d love to go to but there’s something that’s stopped you, please share them below and you will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of your choice (from a list).

Thanks
GNHQ

Terms and conditions apply