Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

What does a colourful retirement look like to you? Share your plans or experiences of retirement with Legal and General - £300 voucher to be won AND chance to win a £200 voucher!

(198 Posts)
AbbiCGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 12-Jul-19 15:36:49

This activity has now closed

For a lot of people, retirement is an opportunity to embark on new adventures, and to grow as a person. It’s an opportunity to pursue activities and hobbies that you’ve always wanted but never had time to, and to focus on the areas of life that fulfil and excite you.
We know that retirement can be full of colour and exploration, which is why Legal & General would love to hear your plans for when you retire, or your experiences if you’ve already retired.

Here’s what Legal and General have to say;
We’re delighted that Gransnet is supporting our national campaign to change the way retirement is depicted in advertising. Our customers have told us they don’t feel the images they see in ads or campaigns really represent their lives. Retirement has changed, no longer the dolling out of carriage clocks and twilight walks on the beach - it’s a far more vibrant and varied journey and we want Gransnet members to help us show just how colourful retirement can be!

Do you have exciting plans for retirement? Maybe you’re going to travel around the world - or maybe you’ve already have? Has your retirement inspired you to pursue something new? If so, what was it, and how did it enrich your life?

Whichever ways you plan to make your retirement colourful, post on the thread below and all who do so will be entered into a prize draw where 1 GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).
If you’ve got a picture to accompany your post, please share that too!

Legal & General would also love you to take part in their on-site photo competition, where you can share pictures of what a colourful retirement looks like for you, and be in with a chance of winning £200!

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions Apply

AbbiCGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Aug-19 11:22:03

Thanks for all your posts and congratulations to @Mirabelle7 for winning the voucher!

rainbowbutterfly Thu 01-Aug-19 19:27:41

well I think people are very lucky if they can afford to retire either early or at the "what used to be" 65. Now our generation have had years added on by the government unfairly and have generally been let down by the system too late. Having saved all our lives my husband and I saved for our first house deposit, didn't go travelling or take a year or two out, worked until ill health which still persists. We can't see an end to it. Early retirement is out and unaffordable for our generation now, unless you've been left a fortune by parents or grandparents. By the time retirement comes we'll be too old to go travelling and enjoy it. It would be my dream just to have a cruise in the Med or see Scandinavia.

grantryinghard Thu 01-Aug-19 10:56:32

The most memorable period of my retirement so far has been the year I spent abroad taking a Master’s degree at the University of Malta. The course was free, (thank you EU! Some of us love you!) and my very civilised student accommodation cost less than the price of tuition fees for an MA in the UK. I met some wonderful people, made some great friends and learned so much - not least about negotiating information technology! The lifestyle was a completely new experience and the Mediterranean weather was bliss! My subsequent year back at home, however, slaving over my dissertation, was much less fun - I’ve never known such a hard and lonely slog. But the satisfaction of graduating was worth all of it. Life continues to develop as a result - I’m now learning the violin in order to play Baroque music, something I discovered I loved through one of the modules studied in Malta.
The family was encouraging and supportive throughout. After I’d finished, my husband, in the company of one of our sons, took his dream trip abroad to trace some lost family links (and found them!)
So, in a sense, it’s never too late, but go for it while you can. Two years on, in our seventies, neither of us is fit enough to be able to attempt what we did then. But we have such great memories to cherish!

elainehollis Tue 30-Jul-19 19:34:18

Always believed I'd retire at 60 but since all the political parties conspired to slap an extra 6 years work on me I've not dared to plan in case they move the goal posts again.

molly57 Tue 30-Jul-19 16:51:33

I hope to move back to the land of my birth. Beautiful, colourful country.

JohnGPick Tue 30-Jul-19 11:42:04

Just keep on trucking, even if you've never been near an HGV vehicle!

Horatia Tue 30-Jul-19 08:30:50

We're all being boxed up and presented the same at every age. We never were all the same.

summergal Tue 30-Jul-19 07:35:03

At age 54 I can see the way we view retirement is changing.
It used to be very defined, age 60 (for women). My ‘retirement’ date according to gov.co.uk is now 67.
I don’t think actual retirement will be a financial option for a lot of people going forward, but if I could ever afford to retire I would buy a camper van and travel across the whole of Europe seeing all the sights, walking the trails, eating local foods and practising my photography skills. Then I’d post all my photos on Instagram. Maybe I could become an influencer and that would pay my way......?

jackier333 Tue 30-Jul-19 04:20:40

Colourful retirement to me is travelling the world and visiting all the places I haven't yet seen and want to before I get too old!

shyfly1970 Mon 29-Jul-19 09:55:39

we plan to buy a camper van and travel in it once our responsibilities are finished

HCCCCC Sun 28-Jul-19 13:10:48

Sufficient funds to live a little, no shuffling off, the children have flow the nest so time to explore and have fun, I don't want to turn into their dependent.

greig23 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:34:02

WE plan on going on lots of far reach trips when we retire. We want to visit as much as the world as we can

We would love to go to Australia and Africa and Antarctica too!

We better get saving

JulieAAA Fri 26-Jul-19 22:48:02

I'm thoroughly enjoying having taken early retirement, and am now spending a lot of time gardening, but also going on several holidays each year.

ScodieHo Fri 26-Jul-19 20:06:34

The words colourful retirement make me think of Jenny Joseph`s poem about wearing purple and a red hat when she is old. I suppose if we have always dressed in loud colours we will go on doing so when we retire. Or if we wish to dress or live in shades of beige (or grey!!!) we will carry on doing so. Or will we start swearing, or find a toyboy, or abseil down the shard.
I spent the last 20 years of my working life freelance, working from home. It was a very good preparation for retirement. You learn to work to deadlines, but you have far more freedom than you do working in an office. When the time came to retire I gradually took on less and less work until I stopped altogether. I found working from home infinitely better than working for an employer and retirement has been every bit as good so far. I have already done most of the things I wanted to do when I was younger, including extensive travel, but some I no longer want to do for one reason or another. Life is short. Make the most of it,

Maggiemaybe Fri 26-Jul-19 18:39:11

I’m not sure we’re after full on, zany, non-stop excitement in our retirement. For now (and touch wood) we count ourselves very fortunate. We can pay our bills, have our lovely family living nearby, our health, lots of time to do whatever we want, and the chance to treat ourselves and those we love occasionally. Not so much colourful as content, and very grateful for it. smile

Jess9887 Fri 26-Jul-19 18:28:23

I fully agree that the older generations are depicted as doddering folks who just sit around and knit. Which is not true. People are staying healthy longer. My plan is to travel a lot. My dream is to get a motor home, pack up my dogs and explore Europe.

Parsley Fri 26-Jul-19 17:02:55

If I have the money I would love to travel with my husband and visit China and Japan as well as have some sun holidays. However I'm more worried that the way everything is going, that by the time I retire, my savings will either be worth nothing or all had to be spent on necessities instead of the exciting retirement that a lot of us dream of.

cathyov Fri 26-Jul-19 15:09:26

I am sure my retirement will be colourful; just not sure whether it red for things to avoid, yellow lots of sunshine or green ready to go!
Am planning my health stays good and top of my to do list is to visit my best friend who emigrated to Australia nearly ten years ago. If we are lucky we hope to get a camper van and do lots of touring round the UK and take our beloved dogs with us.
I hope that my grown up children will provide us with lots of reasons to celebrate and enjoy all those colours in between too!

molly57 Fri 26-Jul-19 15:04:38

I hope to retire to the land of my birth. The outlook will have changed but the memories have not.

blue25 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:56:01

The excitement of retirement for me is the freedom. No alarm clock for work. Available to go on holidays when price/weather is good.

We plan to spend longer holidays abroad-a month or two at a time and we can't wait!

montydoo Fri 26-Jul-19 10:42:20

When I retired after 45 years in the same job ! It was very daunting - we all yearn for this, but when it finally came I felt like I was standing on a precipice.

I booked a 3 week European cruise (in September - the prices were cheaper and weather cooler). We got the travel bug after seeing several cities, places and buildings I have had on my bucket list.

After 3 years I feel younger, less stressed, and blessed with better health when I was at work - and after a weekend at Glastonbury this year - I have a new lease for life, I plan ahead with my pension, I do competitions to win cruises (no luck yet.

Finally I got rid of my bedside alarm clock - not needed - I felt like ceremonially bashing it to pieces, but have needed it for an early airport run - the joys !

finleypop Fri 26-Jul-19 10:14:23

A colourful retirement to me, will be pottering in my garden & travelling at any opportunity I can

snare Fri 26-Jul-19 09:28:32

I would love to travel in retirement. Not sure if this is feasible and imagine that I will have to work to do this

cathryn1 Fri 26-Jul-19 07:49:32

learning new skills, enjoying new adventures and travel

Bellroyd Fri 26-Jul-19 07:37:00

Paid off mortgage and downsized early, allowing us to retire 9 years earlier than we would have done. That has given us enough time to do lots of things we wanted to do whilst we are still young enough and fit enough to do them.

Also, the wonderful feeling that every day is our own to do what we want, without the daily drudgery of work - would recommend it to anyone.