Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Let’s talk about cruise travel with NCL - £300 voucher to be won

(450 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Aug-19 10:05:48

Cruise holidays can be an ideal option for those who love a care-free holiday, visiting new cities or having different scenery every day without the hassle of unpacking more than once. Whether you’ve been on a cruise or not, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) would like to hear your thoughts. If you’re an experienced cruise-goer they’d love to hear your top tips, and what you wish you'd known before your first cruise. And, if you’ve never been on a cruise, they would also like to find out what you would find helpful before going on a holiday at sea.

Here’s what NCL has to say: “New to cruising? Not sure what to expect? Look no further – this handy guide tells you everything you need to know about holidays at sea. From accommodation choices to entertainment, what to pack and what to do on board, we’ve demystified cruising and you’ll discover why it really is the perfect holiday choice for everyone.”

So what are your tips and tricks when selecting a cruise holiday and how do you make sure it is an enjoyable experience? What are your expectations of a cruise holiday and what are the must-haves on board you can’t go without? How do you prepare and what do you pack for a cruise? How can cruise companies make it your perfect holiday at sea?

If you haven’t travelled on a cruise, what would tempt you to do so? What have you heard about cruises that you would like to understand more about? Now is the time to indulge in your curiosity of cruise holidays.

Please share your views on cruise holidays and you will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of your choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ
Terms and conditions apply

Suslane Thu 21-Nov-19 12:49:35

I would love a cruise where the initial travel was minimal and then somewhere deliciously warm..

LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Nov-19 13:33:11

Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts. The winner of the voucher is @joysutty smile Congratulations!

karenharrison Sun 29-Sep-19 11:45:17

I have only cruised once more than 10 years ago but am looking at cruising for our 30th wedding aniversary next year. A great way to see more than one destination.

leek7 Mon 23-Sep-19 08:53:10

I know so many people who just LOVE cruising, but I've never really fancied it myself - I am worried about the sea being rough and also being stuck with loads of people and everywhere being crowded! I really should try one just to see if that is true!!

Teddy111 Sat 14-Sep-19 12:11:37

I was lucky enough to go on a cruise around the Med on the old QE2.I felt like royalty. It was fabulous. I couldn't pack because I was so sure that something would go wrong and I wouldn't be able to go,I didn't feel that something as incredible could happen to me.I had chosen a table of eight for dining and it was wonderful to be with such lovely people.
I have been on a few cruises since and thought each one was marvellous. The sights,sounds,smells were so exciting.

BBbevan Thu 12-Sep-19 12:27:44

JuliaAAA bet no one told you you could breakfast in the restaurant where you have dinner? We had the same chaotic breakfast when we went on a taster. Then a friend who was a seasoned cruiser put us straight. Never used the buffet breakfast since

JulieAAA Wed 11-Sep-19 23:12:47

I've just been on a one night taster cruise, but the morning breakfast was chaotically busy, and the disembarkation procedure was even worse, so it's really put me off ocean cruising. I'm booked on a river cruise next year on a much smaller ship, so I hope that will be better.

MilliePW Wed 11-Sep-19 23:12:19

I've never been on a cruise but would be interested in seeing new places and being able to completely relax.

purplevamp Wed 11-Sep-19 21:27:47

I've never been on a cruise but would love to. My only concern is that I get seasick and wouldn't want to spend the whole time in the bathroom!! grin

slbhill42 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:02:03

I worry about the environmental impact especially of the bigger ships.

Is there ever a problem with noisy neighbours in such close confines?

BBbevan Wed 11-Sep-19 18:59:34

Most cruise companies have an on line advice centre, where you can get an answer to any question. From dress code to drinks packages and a typical dinner menu. Easy to access. All questions answered at a click

Dan29 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:45:24

I love the idea of a cruise but I think they need to make it clear what the dress code will be for the cruise as some people love dressing up for dinner etc, and some prefer to be more casual.

Also I would be more likely to book if the ships were more environmentally friendly e.g. electric.

tishist Wed 11-Sep-19 18:10:50

I like the travelling side of cruising but not being trapped on a boat with that many people!

BBbevan Wed 11-Sep-19 15:16:22

Womble. My DH was very against a cruise. But I did persuade him to go on a short cruise for our 50th anniversary. Our children, their spouses and the DGDs came too. He loved it all and so did they. DH and I have been on several since. Norway was spectacular and we are going on a Mediterranean cruise next year. Gentle persuasion works every time. Give it a go. Good luck

WombleLancs Wed 11-Sep-19 13:53:19

I would love to go on a cruise, but both my partner and my mother have said that they really don't fancy it, and I don't fancy going alone.

It would be great to visit all those wonderful places on the Mediterranean or around Norway. The German river cruises sound fabulous. One of mum's friends went on a cruise where there were lots of interesting educational talks onboard and that really appeals to me.

molly57 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:45:59

I have never been on a cruise but would love to go on one.

alison131 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:31:25

I went on a river cruise on the Rhine, with Emerald Waterways in July. The cruise was for our 4oth wedding anniversary, it was amazing from the staff, the food, the sights, I can't wait to go again .

cathyov Wed 11-Sep-19 09:09:01

This has long been on my wish list to do and thought it would be perfect when the children had grown up and left home, unfortunately now caring for elderly relative not so easy to plan that escape.
I am nervous about whether I would get 'sea sick' or even a little claustrophobic. What the dress code would be and getting the right advice and guidance.
Some of my friends have told me that visiting places when you stop at ports it is overwhelmingly busy and it has spoilt it for them?
Lots of unknowns but hopefully they can be experienced one day!

clareyfairy2506 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:58:50

I would love to try a cruise, I'm just so worried about feeling sea sick!

Bellroyd Wed 11-Sep-19 08:52:57

We are fairly recent converts to cruising. You get such a lot of value when compared to other holidays and with so many ports of call, you get to see parts of the world that you otherwise wouldn't get to see.

Whilst you don't get to see much in your short stay in port, you can readily establish locations to which youd like to return for a longer holiday.

No pockets in a shroud, so splash out on yourselves, without being reckless and live a little.

cathryn1 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:31:53

We have just come back from a cruise holiday with the family and it was perfect way to holiday, something for everyone, we all felt relaxed and safe.

ustupidwoman60 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:06:22

Do your research beforehand - especially in relation to trips and plan what you are going to do when you are in port - if you do this, you'll save a fortune as the ship's tours are very expensive. go to somewhere like 'cruise critic' and research the ports - we went to St Petersburg last year on a baltic cruise and by organising our own 2 day tour beforehand - we saved about £600

kayade1 Wed 11-Sep-19 06:57:33

I hate flying so going on the sea is amazing especially with small children you are able to move about relax...sleep whatever you want to do on the way to your destiation.
There is plenty to do on a ship and good food.
Also going on a ship means you get to visit more than one place/country to me a cruise is the best way to travel.
I can not stand being stuck in a plane where you have to stay seated all the time and other people all around you at least on the ship you can go to your cabin whenever you want.

grannybiker Tue 10-Sep-19 23:19:00

I've never been on a cruise, but more recently been looking at the Norwegian Fjords and Northern Lights ones.
However, I've been looking for holiday insurance for a quick break in the sun before winter really sets in and many won't cover cruises. I already have problems getting insurance due to medical stuff, so this further hurdle puts me off.

pinkspideruk Tue 10-Sep-19 22:55:00

I've recently booked for a family Disney cruise it will be our first ever cruise and we are really looking forward to it although I am a little worried that I will get sea sick and not enjoy it