Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

How has your dog helped you? Share with Sleepeezee - £300 voucher and dog bed to be won

(224 Posts)
YanaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-Aug-19 13:45:17

Sleepeezee have recently released personalised dog beds, and to celebrate International Dog Day on the 26th August and dogs all year round, they’d like to hear about the ways your dogs have helped you.

Here’s what Sleepeezee has to say: “British bed manufacturer Sleepeezee is proud to launch a collection of dog beds, in partnership with Battersea Dogs Home, which offer your companion a great sleep. Two distinct styles are available in a selection of sizes and colours, all of which can be personalised with your dogs name on.”

Perhaps the need to get out and walk your dog each day has helped you feel fitter and stronger? Have you learned any important lessons from your dog? Maybe being greeted by your dog’s smiling face and wagging tail at the end of a tough day helps you deal with stress?

However your dog has helped you, share on the thread below and you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list) and a Sleepeezee dog bed.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Insight Terms and Conditions apply

rocketriffs Wed 11-Sep-19 10:12:25

The friendship and companionship from my dog has helped my well being. I live alone and without him I fear I would be isolated. He makes me feel safe when going out.

jazzitup Wed 11-Sep-19 10:08:56

Dogs give you a good reason to exercise and one of the best friends you will ever have x

Bellroyd Wed 11-Sep-19 08:55:15

The dog has helped us get out and about more with an over-riding imperative to take exercise and feel great about being outdoors, even in some pretty lousy weather.

The dog clearly enjoys it too!

notchav76 Tue 10-Sep-19 22:21:25

My beaut keeps me on an even keel. When things seem bad, doggy cuddles lift me up and give me a reason to carry on. When things are good, I share them with her. x She is my world x

Overthehill5 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:30:28

Always there with waggy tail and those loyal eyes, a perfect friend indeed

Awaka1 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:00:23

From giving me wet sloppy kisses. When I was sad due to husband leaving me of 35yrs marriage .keeping me warm at night and making me feel safe. Making me laugh at his antics. From running the around the house madly to snoring so loudly that I am unable to sleep. Enjoying him whilst he plays with bubbles in the garden. He has been my constant companion and I would have stayed sadder for longer if he hadn't had been with me. Drooling whilst watching me eat and sneaking my bisquits when I am not looking. He is adorable and and I certainly have a would be lost without him. I love him loads

Lisakm99 Tue 10-Sep-19 10:53:13

Having dogs is not only a pleasure due to the pleasure they bring but it helps in so many ways. Their loyalty provides meaning, to look after them brings exercise and enjoyment, to love them brings unconditional love in return, to have them brings company. Having dogs means every day is an adventure and joy - I couldn't imagine life without them!

Scungybear Tue 10-Sep-19 08:44:48

My dogs are always so happy to see my when I come home and show me such unconditional love. Also they are a great incentive to get outside walking in beautiful natural surroundings.

wooohooo Mon 09-Sep-19 22:52:32

A house Is not a home without a dog, they always are happy to see you and they are good listeners too, Ive never known a time when I didnt have a dog

kezza1979 Mon 09-Sep-19 21:57:20

My little pup has changed my life. My depression was getting really bad and I could feel things spiralling. Just having cuddles and walking in the countryside has hugely improved my mental wellbeing

ceroooss Mon 09-Sep-19 20:57:29

Angus is our first family dog and he has completely changed our family. It is just my mum, me and my brother now as my Dad passed away, and Angus has brought a level of joy and mischief into the house we didn't think possible!
He constantly makes us laugh, sometimes despair and his welcome when you enter the house is like no other!

Debbie77 Mon 09-Sep-19 12:23:47

My son started developing behavioural problems when he was 8 because his dad had stopped visiting him. It was like he had a hole in his heart that needed filled, so I bought our first Labrador puppy. Within 2 weeks when I was speaking to my son's teacher he said it was like night and day, the change in my son. That puppy - who grew into our intelligent, obedient, playful, beloved Skye, recently passed away at age 11. She was the cause of so much joy, fun, laughter and therapy - not only for my son but for me. Whenever I felt down she came to me and sat next to me and just looked at me. Now I still have her best pal who is age 10, also a Labrador. She is also a huge blessing and I'm so grateful for the two of them. We miss our Skye deeply but are grateful for what she brought to our lives.

sootyo Mon 09-Sep-19 10:49:31

Our dog has helped to keep us mentally and physically well, from being soothing company to encouraging us outdoors for long walks.

theresacoo Mon 09-Sep-19 09:39:53

when I got pregnant in my early 40's i had very bad morning sickness that required hospitalisation a few times.
When I was at home all i could do was lay on the sofa and stare out of the window. My Dog fudge laid with me all day. she soothed me.

Julie1977 Mon 09-Sep-19 07:13:35

Our dog Max completes our family. He is always happy to see us and keeps us fit. We'd be lost without our furry little boy.

natalielara Mon 09-Sep-19 00:55:37

My dog has helped a lot with anxiety issues and blood pressure over the years and of course, loneliness.

MummsieMe Sun 08-Sep-19 02:34:27

Not sure where I'd be without my little Buster. I became ill overnight 3 years ago and initially he went to live at grandads as I was not able to walk him. However, not 4 months later I had to have him home again and since then he has been by my side night and day. On bad pain days he lies with me in bed keeping me company, stopping me from slipping in to a downwards slope. On the better days he is the only reason I change our of my PJs and take him for his much loved walks. I would 100% be lost without him.

elfies Sat 07-Sep-19 10:42:03

We had a beautiful Samoyed , half sister to our wonderful dog . At two, she began losing weight , our vet did a biopsy and revealed she had liver failure . By then she had gone from 21 kg to 12 and we were told she may not make it as she couldn't eat the special dietetic food prescribed, so we were advised a teaspoonfull of egg and cooked rice, little and often, may help a little . She took to it wonderfully ,we fed teeny amounts every twenty minutes day and night often she just managed a lick off a few grains , but always trying , and our other three dogs always respected the fact that these special frequent meals were for her alone . We had a cage, left with the door open ,in the corner of the lounge , and our other dogs knew that if she went in ,they mustn't pester, it was 'quiet' space for her alone . Slowly she began to recover her weight over the next months , and she would lie in her cage , tossing a ball with her mouth to the other three ,though unable to get up to retrieve it , so the others would carry it back to her in a never ending game , until she tired .
Everyone was surprised when she started to recover her strength and began to take short walks , and eventually she would lay by my side quietly when tired instead of her safe haven . One day her brother left one biscuit in his food bowl , and allowed her to go sniff , then lick it , her first taste of ordinary dog food for months, and each day he did this until one day she ate his offering , and asked for more . From then on she was unstoppable, back to ordinary food , and getting fitter and healthier day by day .
Six months later she regained all her lost weight , was back to her cheeky self and decided she was boss , even her older brother did as he was told , and she lived a happy healthy life for another eleven years .
Toddy taught us that animals have far more compassion than we give them credit for , and probably more sense of family than a lot of humans .
Tuppence showed us how to fight and not give in and rewarded us with endless love and obedience for our care and love while she was ill .
People ..give me animals any time !

holey Fri 06-Sep-19 20:13:24

I didn't want dogs. Not because I didn't like them, but because I didn't want the responsibility of looking after them. The lack of spontaneity that having them would bring. My children were all becoming independent. I was just getting my life back- as I thought if it. Then one night, in the darkness, my husband plonked a Staffie pup on the duvet. He had literally "got it off a bloke in the pub." And I knew I didn't want it. But I also knew it wasn't the dog's fault. Those first few days I felt like I had post natal depression. Everything was just wrong and couldn't be fixed. I adored the dog. But I hated having a dog. But they sneak up on you, do dogs. They get under your skin. Ours soon had a companion- another Staffie six months younger- and they became brothers in arms, thick as thieves. They make the world okay- whenever you feel it just isn't. They make it worthwhile. They're in the kennels right now. We're decorating and after a couple of false starts and heavily painted dogs we decided this was the best way. They'll be back tomorrow afternoon and I can't wait. I miss them like crazy...

Chevlette Fri 06-Sep-19 11:29:03

Tyde is my best friend & my guardian angel. He came to me through the Kennel Clubs Newfoundland Rescue who are selfless wonderful people.
I was a stroke survivor & had fought my way back to work, however further health issues had begun to present themselves as time went on. I had a dedicated support dog Cu'chulain (Cully), a Newfie that had been trained with me from a pup & we were so much a team that it was as if we shared 1 brain. As my hearing failed Cully just took over the reigns & became my ears. So when he became unwell I knew instantly. I wont go into detail as it is still very painful but suffice to say despite many visits to the vets & being told I was 'imagining it', then it was a 'little virus', he passed away in my arms. It seemed there was an undiagnosed heart issue. I lost the other half of me that day. I couldn't seem to get out of bed, go outside, eat or stop crying. I felt so alone, isolated & completely adrift. Then came Tyde.
I was asked to go & meet Tyde at his temporary foster home which was quite a drive away. I was very nervous on so many levels. Half of me knew I needed that company if I was to start living again, but the other side of me just wanted to sit home safe with my memories of Cully. After all Tyde might not like me, then what? How would I cope?
I needn't have worried I walked in & he gave me such a welcome. It was as if we were old friends meeting up again. I ended up sat on the floor with him wrapped round me licking & nuzzling up close. He was very cautious around others for the 1st year or so he was with me, but slowly he relaxed more & more, gaining in confidence. That bubbly warm character I see shines through most of the time now.
He has had some specific training but the truly amazing thing is that he naturally cared & watched over me right from the start as if he knew what was needed.
Tyde does have some ongoing medical needs from life before me, but heck so do I! We help each other & he gets me through each day. He reassures me when my anxieties & panic begins to take over. He keeps me safe with his ears & props me up with his size. He loves me & brings so much joy into my life that at times I feel I could burst. He is my companion, guardian angel & best friend, all this & so much more that I have not the words to express are what 'My Dog' means to me, other than to say he is everything.

vickyeaston1234 Fri 06-Sep-19 10:56:42

My home is better with my 2 rescue pups - they come and sit on the sofa with you when you need a cuddle. They make me feel safe as they are always watching and the wuff at the slightest noise!! They also make me get exercise as I have to take them walking. They make me laugh and keep me warm - they are absolutely fantastic friends!!

MissAdventure Thu 05-Sep-19 22:11:51

She has a lovely smile. smile

Rootytooty79 Thu 05-Sep-19 21:55:34

I got my dog Maisie when I went through surgical menopause and couldn’t have any more children. She helped me heal mentally and has been by my side ever since. She is my faithful friend who is there to listen but never judge, just one look from her and my heart melts!

chloet282 Thu 05-Sep-19 19:45:02

My two Bedlington Terrier's, Monty and Ozzy, are wonderful kind companions. They care about me and my mum and recognise when we have bad days. We both have severe mental health difficulties, and the dogs keep us going every day. I can walk the dogs every morning and meet new people, i can cuddle them and play with them in the garden! smile

WeeTraceyB21 Thu 05-Sep-19 16:11:06

My dogs have always been a great help to me as I’m profoundly deaf and often felt isolated and lonely! They always kept me company! Buddy (Tri-colour) was sadly PTS last Monday ?? so now it’s just me and Bryce, he is deaf like me!! He is feeling lost without him ?