Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Gransnetters share the legacy they'd like to leave when they're gone with Cancer Research UK

(263 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-20 10:31:36

This sponsored discussion is now closed. Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts on this thread.

As we get older, we often think about what our legacy will be; what memories, relationships or objects we leave behind to reflect how we’d like to be remembered. Making a Will is a way to communicate those wishes and the things that are important to someone are often reflected by the things they include. Cancer Research UK would love to hear what matters to you when you think about your legacy.

Here’s what Cancer Research UK has to say: “We know that when writing a Will, your friends and family should always come first. Once they’re taken care of, if you have even just a small gift leftover to leave for Cancer Research UK, this will still make a huge difference. We know from meeting our wonderful supporters that people have left us a gift in their Will because they are passionate about helping to beat cancer and want to continue when they are gone.”

What have you thought about leaving behind? Have you detailed this in a Will? Would you consider leaving a gift to charity in your Will? Would Cancer Research UK be a consideration? How would you like people to remember you when you’re gone?

All who share their thoughts and experiences on the thread below will be entered into a prize draw where 1 lucky GNer will win a £300 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck,
GNHQ

Insight T&Cs apply

*If you'd like to find out more about CRUK’s Free Will Service and legacy gifts please click here

crazyH Thu 20-Feb-20 18:03:25

I have been paying a small amount every month to Cancer Research by standing order. Over the years it must have amounted to quite a bit. So, no, I won't be leaving anything to them in my will.

sukysue Thu 20-Feb-20 17:57:14

I won't be leaving any money to charity because my DDS will need the money to live on because of the lack of retirement pension when they are older. I do hive a lot to charity now, l would like to give more but l do my best

northernfi Tue 18-Feb-20 16:23:22

My non-smoker husband died of a rare lung condition so I’ve raised quite a bit for the British Lung Foundation in the last four years. I’d rather they had the money now because funding research and trialling new drugs now is vital. Hopefully during my lifetime some more people can be cured or at least have a longer and better quality life.

ottypotty Mon 10-Feb-20 13:19:23

@LucyBGransnet have the winners of the vouchers been notified

Ara Mon 10-Feb-20 05:24:08

my legacy I hope will be that I was always happy for a challenge, and resourceful, as such this is something I hope I have passed onto my four children

gamerwidow Sun 09-Feb-20 22:03:53

I have a will which leaves everything to my daughter. It's up to her if she wants to donate any of that money to charity.
I hope I'll be remembered as someone who loved her family and friends and brought laughter, happiness and support.

emmav6 Sun 09-Feb-20 19:40:51

i don't think i will have much of anything to leave behind. i will saves a few sentimental bits for my children. i hope they will know how much i loved them x

cathwarbur Sun 09-Feb-20 19:40:50

Not wealthy but leaving a few expensive bits & bobs for family. Really I would like to have being known as a kind and caring person.

candish65 Sun 09-Feb-20 18:15:57

I will leave everything to my kids. I would love to give to charity and I do in little ways . Donating and buying from charity shops and putting my loose change in the charity boxes, I do as much as I can

avery64 Sun 09-Feb-20 18:06:26

I come from a family of strong women and I'm so pleased that my daughter and granddaughter have inherited this strength of character in the face of adversity. This is worth far more than any monetary or material possessions I could leave them!

pattiesplum Sun 09-Feb-20 17:37:48

I am leaving everything to my children and their families. Also a donation to Marie Curie nurses who were wonderful to my dad in his last weeks.

Not that there is a great deal to leave.

If my family remember me with love and know I loved them that is all I wish my legacy to be,

Bellroyd Sun 09-Feb-20 17:10:03

I'd like to leave a legacy which would show my family that I lived my life to the full, with due regard to knowing the difference between right and wrong and acting with courage and integrity.

dwerry Sun 09-Feb-20 16:40:00

I will leave everything to my children and hope they remember me as a loving mum. I give regularly to certain charities and I hope my children do too.

slapper1955 Sun 09-Feb-20 16:26:58

Just want to remembered well by my sons

g15grw Sun 09-Feb-20 00:21:43

Sadly I will only have money for my own funeral, but I'd love to be able to help eradicate cancer for the sake of my grandchildren.

Jess9887 Sat 08-Feb-20 22:10:17

I hope that people remember me as being kind and someone who was always there for them. A will is important to me to ensure my family are looked after. My three dogs will go to my mum as well as money to look after them so that I know they will go to a loving home and stay together.

kats56 Sat 08-Feb-20 18:33:21

I have not made a will as I don't have much to leave, however I would like to think the legacy I would leave would be that I have been a good parent and instilled in my children a need to be caring, loyal and hardworking and to think of others.

sweir1 Wed 05-Feb-20 14:04:34

I would like to be known as a kind person who did his best in life and made people happy

katieskatie82 Tue 04-Feb-20 15:29:18

i would like to leave my son a bit more financially comfortable after my days x

Nannan2 Tue 04-Feb-20 12:08:27

I got a free will under the 'free wills for over 50's' scheme last yr and it was backed by SCOPE,whom i like to support anyway,so as i wasnt sure how much (spare?)cash id have by the future solicitor ( who came to my home to draft the will,then returned for me& a witness to sign it)suggested i put in will for people to give money to scope instead of buying flowers at my funeral.i think thats a good compromise and if i end up with more to spare then im going to tell my AC to make a donation in my name.

LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Feb-20 14:55:33

Thanks to everyone who took part in this sponsored discussion. The winner of the prize draw is @wendycl - congratulations! smile

NfkDumpling Mon 03-Feb-20 13:46:36

I support several charities on a monthly direct debit basis and that changes every so often. I must have given enough for at least half of a guide dog puppy when they rang and were quite pushy to try to make me up my monthly debit. So I stopped that one and instead have twinned my loo several times since. (Loo twinning is part of Water Aid.)

I shan’t be leaving any money to charity in my will as I want my children to get something and there may not be much left if I need care.

angiejackson Mon 03-Feb-20 13:44:46

I hope anything I have that is worth something will go to my family and will bring them joy but to be honest I would rather see them enjoy things while I'm alive!

Sys2ad2 Mon 03-Feb-20 12:59:31

I have just rewritten my will and will be updating later this year I will leave about 1/3 of all my assets to charities, cancer research, cat protection and Celia Hammond from whom I got a mother and 5 kittens 20 years ago. Only 1 of the kittens is still alive he is a slender beautiful grey stripped moggy.

blowininthewind Mon 03-Feb-20 12:00:56

Giving to charity has always been something I have always done, I have been very fortunate in life, and want to help others as much as I can, both here and abroad.
I have not specified leaving anything to charity in my will, but it is something I will definitely consider.
I would want people to remember be as a good person, and not be sad when I have passed, I have lived a full life, been lucky in love and health, and help others when I can.