Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond, Tuesday 12 Feb 10.45-11.45am

(106 Posts)
Carigransnet (GNHQ) Tue 29-Jan-13 10:01:54

We are absolutely delighted that Alex Salmond, First Minister for Scotland will be coming in to GNHQ <tidies desk> to answer gransnetters' questions on everything from Scotland's future and its role in the world, the 2014 referendum to Andy Murray (and taking in education, employment and health, transport, energy, sport and the Oscar-prospects of Disney animation Brave along the way)

Alex Salmond was born in Linlithgow in 1954 and studied at St Andrews University. He was first elected as MP for Banff and Buchan in 1987 and was elected as National Convener for the Scottish National Party in 1990. He served as leader of the opposition in the Scottish Parliament when he was elected MSP for Banff and Buchan Constituency in 1999. He stood down as SNP National Convener in 2000 and left the Scottish Parliament in 2001.

He was re-elected as Leader of the SNP in 2004 and elected as MSP for the Gordon constituency in May 2007. He became the first ever SNP First Minister of Scotland on May 16, 2007. He won the Aberdeenshire East constituency at the May 5, 2011, election when the SNP won a majority of seats of in the Scottish Parliament and MSPs re-elected him unopposed for a second term as FM on May 18.

sneetch Tue 12-Feb-13 10:55:14

What is the test of success for Scottish independence? Will it be whether the population starts growing rather than declining?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 10:56:16

fruitloop

Scottish football fans are often acknowledged to be among the 'best' (ie the most passionate, vocal, enthusiastic etc) But the Scotland national team isn't very good. I'd love to know what you think about both of these facts?

Given the raspberry jam, let's start with Fruitloop. I think you're right about Scotland fans. The Tartan Army are fantastic but the team haven't always lived up the support. However with Gordon Strachan at the helm I am confidently expecting another revival.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 10:56:52

loafer

What do you most like about England?

English people and English literature.

downwithcupcakes Tue 12-Feb-13 10:56:54

Have you ever had happy holidays in England?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 10:57:15

Gally

Hello Alex.
Can you explain to me why you are so keen to lower the voting age to 16 in time for the Referendum?? It seems that a huge percentage of Scottish residents of voting age don't have a clue about all the why's, wherefores, ifs and buts, so how do you expect the 16 - 18 year olds to arrive at an informed decision? Call me cynical, but it smacks to me of desperation. I am not Scots born, but have resided here for over half my life and apart from one 'gransnetter' I don't know one person in favour of Independence ; in fact I am aware of a number who, should the dreaded day arrive, will move their businesses south of the border.
On a lighter note, my daughter met you at a charity 'do' in Edinburgh when she was 9 and you were masquerading as Santa Claus; she told you her name was Imogen and you replied 'Emma Jane', how nice. I don't think she has ever forgiven you!grin

Hello Gally and thank you for your question.I believe it is only
right that the youngest adults in the country should be able to have their say
on their nation’s future. The Scottish Government’s view is that the voting
age should be reduced to 16 for all elections and we have already extended
the vote to 16 and 17 year olds in our health board elections and crofting
commission elections. If you can get married, serve in the armed forces or
pay tax, then you should have a say in Scotland’s democratic processes..
Finally a big hello to Imogen and apologies for getting her name wrong. I am
sure the real Santa got it right!

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 10:58:17

applepie

Following on from loafer... What do you least like about England?

Some of the members of Parliament!

topshot Tue 12-Feb-13 10:59:49

Would you limit bonus payments to the top executives of RBS if you could? (I think Stephen Hester is on £7.8m a year)

fabgran Tue 12-Feb-13 11:01:21

If you were going to campaign against independence what would you base your campaign around?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:01:22

Mactheknife

Hello Mr Salmond. As a Scot it's great to have the opportunity to 'talk' to you like this. There was a story in the news this week www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-21394184 where David Cameron said it's in Scotland's best interests to stay within the UK because having two governments looking after its affairs gives it "the best of both worlds".

I am wavering between thinking "he has a point" and "he would say that wouldn't he?" I have never agreed with him in my life before - but perhaps he does have a point.

I was going to ask your thoughts on this (and still will) - but would also like your honest opinion on David Cameron - personally and politically. There will never be a better place to answer this question - we are all lovely grannies grin

I saw the quote as well and immediately thought would someone feeling worried about prime minister's Cameron's new bedroom tax which threatens to lead to widespread evictions. Simply because people have a spare room. I think we had the best of both worlds by having two governments, or is it wise for Westminster government to spend countless billions on weapons of mass destruction while public services need investment. I don't think that most people are on the same planet as prime minister Cameron and his cabinet.

glorious Tue 12-Feb-13 11:04:03

When you eventually give up being First Minister, which celebrity reality television programme would you like to star in? Splash? Strictly? I'm A Celebrity?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:05:43

wisewoman

There are a couple of things that concern me about independence, though I am very tempted!

The politicians in Scotland often seem to me to be rather parochial and though I am not greatly impressed by Westminster at least there is a bigger pool to draw on!

If we become independent we could end up with a permanent labour government here and that really worries me. I mean, Joanne Lamont running the country is a very scary thought!

The absolutely key thing about independence is that we will get the government we vote for whether it be SNP, Green, Liberal, Labour or even, although it seems unlikely, Tory or any combination of the above. I've been a member of both Parliaments and absolutely know that we have the ability in Scotland to make a good fist of running all of our affairs. The proof of the pudding is in the success of running health and education and the other devolved issues. The social attitudes survey says that Scots trust their own Parliament five times as much as the Westminister one.

freshmeat Tue 12-Feb-13 11:06:02

What tips would you give someone who wanted to set up an English National Party?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:07:25

marika

I see that your deputy Nicola Sturgeon has been named today in the top 20 most powerful women in Britain. But Justine Roberts - founder of Mumsnet and Gransnet is no 7! what do you think?!

I think Nicola will have to try harder, perhaps she should found political-net. Seriously she is a very able and charismatic politician.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:09:36

downwithcupcakes

Have you ever had happy holidays in England?

One of my earliest memories is going to Harrogate to be a Scottish solider at a wedding. I was about three at the time. Anyway, it must have rubbed off because I've holidayed in Harrogate a number of times. Mind you, and strangely enough, it was always when the Ebor horse racing meeting at York was on. It makes for a great week and a good marital combination.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:10:07

Sel

Will Scotland apply to join the EU if it becomes independent and if so, which currency will it adopt - the Scottish Pound or the Euro?

Morning, Sel. Happy to set the record straight on this one.
Scotland will retain Sterling. In fact, this decision has been backed up very
recently – only just yesterday – by eminent economists such as the Nobel-
prize winning Joseph Stiglitz. Scotland's considerable wealth and assets will
continue to make a substantial contribution to a Sterling Zone which would
provide underlying stability and help us to deliver faster sustainable economic
growth. And just to reassure you, Scotland would not be forced to join the
Euro; after all, Sweden hasn’t joined.

dobby Tue 12-Feb-13 11:10:41

Isn't nationalism a rather 20th century idea? Isn't the future all about alliances across borders? Do you ever worry that nationalism is just not a very progressive way of doing politics?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:12:04

sneetch

What is the test of success for Scottish independence? Will it be whether the population starts growing rather than declining?

For many years, Scotland had a declining population but since devolution this has been reversed and the census results from 2011 show a new record population in Scotland. It is one of the measures of the success in having our own parliament. However the real test for independent Scotland will be not just in numbers and prosperity but whether we can build a more equal society.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:14:17

glorious

When you eventually give up being First Minister, which celebrity reality television programme would you like to star in? Splash? Strictly? I'm A Celebrity?

Obviously looking far into the future! Can't do Splash, we have enough rain in Scotland already. Not doing I'm a Celebrity, can't eat bugs and I might meet a Tory MP! That leaves Strictly, but I'll have to brush up on my tango.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:14:49

Woollyjumper

If you want a referendum on Scotland's independence can the English please have one on that independence as well? Not only does it affect the Scots but will affect the English too.

Good morning, Woollyjumper. As First Minister of Scotland, I am
privileged to be elected to represent the interest of the people of Scotland. I
believe that Scotland and England can only benefit from independence - when

Scotland becomes independent then England will gain a good neighbour.
The future of Scotland is for Scotland to determine, but I recognise that it is
of great interest for people across the UK. It is of course perfectly possible
for Westminster to hold a referendum on whatever it wants – indeed, David
Cameron plans to hold one on the future of the UK in the EU at some point
in the next five years or so. I was elected on a manifesto promise to give
people in Scotland a say over their constitutional future – and that is what my
government is doing.

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:16:13

topshot

Would you limit bonus payments to the top executives of RBS if you could? (I think Stephen Hester is on £7.8m a year)

I think that's a good argument for consistent taxes on bonuses, not just occasional ones. There has to be a way of getting to grips with 'bonus culture', which has caused so much havoc across financial institutions.

Propulsar Tue 12-Feb-13 11:16:38

What do you consider will be the major new opportunities that will accrue to an independant Scotland that are not available to us as part of the UK?

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:17:30

NfkDumpling

Ok, I know I'm being silly. (Although there's quite a few in Norfolk who think we're a country too.) I was trying to make the point we've all been part of a united kingdom for so long now. Just a look at the surnames in the phone book will tell you how much we're integrated - let alone the surnames of recent prime and cabinet ministers. If James 6th / 1st had decided to stay in Scotland and rule from there and things had turned the other way up. Would the Scots be supporting an English referendum for independence? Wouldn't the Scots feel just a little bit hurt? If Scotland leaves then Wales and Northern Ireland may feel they have to follow. Whether in or out of the EU can such small nations really survive or have a voice?

Hello Nik, It is fundamentally better for all of us if decisions about Scotland’s future are taken by the people who care most about Scotland: that is, the people of Scotland. We have the greatest stake in making Scotland a success – no one else will do as good a job. The purpose of independence is to make Scotland more successful and to improve the lives of people who live in Scotland. The key difference would be that all decisions for Scotland would be taken by a Scottish Parliament and a Scottish Government. Your point about James VI and I is a good historical one and should remind people that Scotland and England shared a monarch but as independent countries. We could do so again

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:20:40

nainnainnain

Is Scotland too small to be independent?

If I've counted right, there are 85 member countries of the United Nations with populations less than 5 million!

Good point. In Europe alone, the most prosperous country is Luxembourg with a population about the size of Edinburgh, closely followed by Norway with a population just less than Scotland's. Of course, Norway discovered oil and gas in huge quantities. Wouldn't it have been great if Scotland had discovered oil and gas in huge quantities!

greentara Tue 12-Feb-13 11:22:31

Hello Mr Salmond! I think it would be a great idea if we had live tv debates between yourself and Mr Cameron / Mr Moore and Ms Sturgeon in the run up to the referendum. What do you think??
Also I wanted to thank you personally for all you are doing for Scotland and the Scottish people. Looking forward to celebrating our first Independence Day in March 2016 with my two wee Granddaughters knowing their future is secure!! Lang may yer lum reek Sir!!

AlexSalmond Tue 12-Feb-13 11:23:00

Bonsai

Hi Alex. Do you not think it would be a better idea to improve transport links and easy access to and from Scotland to England, rather than splitting us apart? Surely becoming independent would make it a more 'Them and Us' situation than if you were to try and link Scotland to the SE England?

One problem with the current arrangements is that Westminster never gets round to improving the transport links between Scotland and England. As in, the 'fast rail' which is planned to get to Scotland some time in the next century! I think connectivity and having the ability to increase transport links, rail and air, is one of the arguments for Scottish independence.