Gransnet forums

Webchats

Khaled Hosseini Q&A

(50 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 24-Oct-13 12:11:55

Khaled Hosseini’s breathtaking novels are loved the world over and have sold a staggering 38 million copies. He is a critically acclaimed master storyteller and his third novel, And the Mountains Echoed, explores the enduring strength of sibling love.

With his signature storytelling – and a cast of characters you fall in love with instantly – he shows us how one decision, made out of love, can ripple through generations and touch so many lives. This is a book you want to talk about with friends, colleagues, even with strangers on the bus (and yes, it will make you cry).

We are delighted that Khaled will be joining us for a Q&A and invite you to ask him a question on this thread.

Some of you may have already received a free copy of And the Mountains Echoed so if you'd had a chance to read it please do ask a question here by 7th Nov.

Deedaa Sat 16-Nov-13 20:56:54

One of those books that make it a real effort to come back to the real world. It seemed very odd to be looking round my living room while my head was still in Afghanistan.

whenim64 Fri 15-Nov-13 14:24:19

I'm on the last chapter! It arrived just over a week ago, and has kept me occupied over a few nights with little sleep. What a rich, beautifully written book. I've been steeped in the stories of each person, and the way their lives have inflenced each other, even when they have been spread across the world.

I'd like to know what your stories were like when you were growing up. Were you always busy writing about people you knew, or did you write fantasies?

jannetje66 Fri 15-Nov-13 12:03:34

Thank you so much for sending me a copy of the book. I enjoy reading it as Khaled is one of my favourite writers and his books are perfect for visual learners and to me it is almost going to the cinema. My question for Khaled is: are you from a family of storytellers?

Atqui Fri 08-Nov-13 10:49:40

I shall definitely buy the book . The others were sonamazing

Atqui Fri 08-Nov-13 10:48:46

Thanks Gally- I must be more observant !!!

whenim64 Fri 08-Nov-13 05:38:25

I enjoy books that entice you into cultures unlike your own and this book begins with a magical story that had me tussling with the quandary the family were thrown into, so I could relate to it, too. It reminded me if the Arabian Nights stories I read as a child. Where do you draw your ideas from? A film of this book would be so interesting.

Gally Thu 07-Nov-13 16:18:37

Atqui you keep an eye out for these offers on GN then go to the appropriate page and fill out a form. For instance, Kids Book of the Month is being 'advertised' on the right hand side of this page. Scroll up, find it above 'competitions', click on it and Bob's your Uncle grin

Atqui Thu 07-Nov-13 16:06:54

How does one get the free books?

Gally Thu 07-Nov-13 15:58:06

Many thanks for my copy which has just been delivered. I will look forward to reading it although not by midnight tonight grin

Maniac Thu 07-Nov-13 11:31:28

I've only got to p.104 as for the last 10 days concern about Carol (Greatnan) has made it hard to concentrate on reading.
She could probably have written a book or been the subject of one.
Have you based any of your characters on real-life people?
Look forward to finishing your book .

whenim64 Thu 07-Nov-13 10:32:57

Lovely surprise this morning when my free copy just came through my letter box. Thankyou.

carow48 Thu 07-Nov-13 10:08:00

Thank you so much for my free copy, not managed to read all of it yet, but as with the author's other books it has a profound effect on the reader! My question to Hosseini is, does he also suffer these strong emotions whilst writing such wonderful words?

GrandmaMia1 Thu 07-Nov-13 08:54:28

I have only read up to pg 80 so unfortunately don't have any questions yet of this one. I have really enjoyed both of your other books. Could I ask where your specific ideas come from? How long does it take you to write a book and have you started your next one? I am sure that when I have finished this one I will be avidly waiting the next as I was with A Splendid Thousand Suns which to me was an amazing story of love and courage.

almonds Thu 07-Nov-13 01:28:53

A huge thank-you for the book which arrived while I was away. Like others I won't have time to read it. Thoroughly enjoyed the other books and expect to feel the same about this book. I would like to know how Khaled holds onto his roots and passes the history and culture onto the next generation.

lucyinthesky Wed 06-Nov-13 18:23:29

I am just halfway through but am enjoying it more now smileThe question I have is does Mr Hosseini use his own family/friends' lives as inspiration for his novels? Many thanks again gransnet for sending me the book.

weather Wed 06-Nov-13 12:45:56

I have just finished reading this book with many tears of sadness...the author's own sadness seems to flow out in his writings...he comes over as such a kind thoughtful sensitive understanding and gentle man.
I have read an article in The Ottawa Citizen that seems to answer most of my questions about his life.
I would like to say to him that if I was a member of your family I would be so very proud for all you have achived so far in your life and not to be weighed down by your sadness please keep on going you have so much to give, as an author, a doctor, a husband and a father.
I would never have read your book if it wasn't for gransnet sending me a copy. The experience has really made me think and I have learnt a lot, not only about your people and your country but also about myself. Thankyou so much for the hard work, sweat and tears you must have put into this remarkable book.
Do you think it will be ever made into a film?
Are you able to treat some of the children from your own country in California?

DavidH22 Wed 06-Nov-13 09:40:18

A wonderfully moving and emotional book with characters who will live long in the memory. The passages dealing with the aging of one character are especially sad. Is this section drawn from your experiences as they seem so similar to my own and no doubt others? Have you considered basing a book somewhere other than Kabul/Afghanistan and are you optimistic for the future of that country?

emmasnan Tue 05-Nov-13 08:56:10

This is the first book by Khaled Hosseini I have read. I'm finding it hard to put down. Fascinating to read about another culture and will now look for his other books.

Deedaa Mon 04-Nov-13 23:34:04

I haven't read your two previous books, they've always been in the background as "books I ought to read". I thought that if I won a copy of And the Mountains Echoed it would encourage me to start reading, and I am so glad I did! It took me a while to get used to the switching between characters, but once I did I was completely hooked. A lovely book that takes you deep into another world.

bamba Mon 04-Nov-13 15:25:46

A wonderful book - I loved it. The character of Roshi and her story was so moving and parts of it, especially the writing of her book, reminded me of the couragae of Malala Yousafzai, who has just released a book about herself. Do you ever base your characters on people you have met because you seem to have such an insight into their thoughts and feelings?

annemac101 Mon 04-Nov-13 11:46:51

I would like to ask the author what kind of research he does for his books and how long does it take him from that first idea for a story to the finished book? Thanks.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Nov-13 10:49:29

<chips in> It did make me cry. I loved it and couldn't put it down. I'm still thinking about it a couple of weeks later which means it clearly had quite an impact. In terms of the stories all linking together so cleverly it reminded me a little of the hit film Crash (from about 8 or 9 years ago). I just wondered if there are plans to make this into a film too?

nancysnan Mon 04-Nov-13 10:46:22

I admit I was put off reading this at first because I had read reviews saying it wasn't as good as the first two books (I disagree btw) and also that it was too confusing because of the number of characters. I disagree with this too and found the linking of the separate vignettes extremely clever. When I was reading it I had a vision of you surrounded by a million post it notes stuck to every surface to keep track of who belonged where and how they all linked up. Was this the case or are you much more organised than this?!

barbara77 Mon 04-Nov-13 10:43:39

Thank you so much for sending me this book. I have been unable to put it down. I thought it was wonderful but was left with a feeling of sadness at the end. I would like to ask Khaled Hosseini if he thinks it's better to leave a reader with a sense of sad wondering that stays with you than a predicatbly happy ending which so many books see to (well i presume he does think this as that's what he does but would like to know his thoughts on this anyway. I won't spoil it for those who have not had time to read it all yet but there could have been a more predictable ending and I was pleased there wans't. If that makes sense!)

penguinpaperback Sat 02-Nov-13 22:56:11

I'm nearly halfway into the book and it's now being carried around in my bag for when I have a moment to read.
I would like to ask Khaled, especially while you are visiting gransnet, did you know any of your grandparents? And if so did they tell you stories, family history, folk tales which may have inspired you to become a novelist?