Gransnet forums

Webchats

Jules Hudson webchat 20 March 1:30-2:30pm

(56 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Mar-14 10:11:18

Jules is perhaps best known as the leading face on the BBC’s hit property series, Escape to the Country, as well as the BBC’s flagship rural affairs show Countryfile. Jules’s interest in historic buildings and design underpins the BBC’s renovation series Britain’s Empty Homes, whilst his lifelong passion for military history came to the fore in BBC1's hit Dig 1940.

In addition to presenting and broadcasting, Jules is also an engaging writer, with regular contributions to lifestyle magazines.

Jules began his career as an archeologist and his expertise across history, rural affairs and property, combined with his warm and engaging style have established him as a versatile and popular presenter.

Having spent most of his life in the heart of the Cambrian Mountains in Mid-Wales, renovating his own ‘Escape to the Country’, he now lives in Herefordshire, once again passionately restoring a period gem. He loves to travel, garden and rescue old furniture.

Jules's talk at the Country Living Spring Fair is titled The Accidental Gardner. Find out more here.

Put your questions forward to Jules below. He'll be joining us for a live webchat on 20 March 1:30-2:30pm.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:36:02

Hi everybody, thanks so much for some really testing and interesting questions. I hope the answers have been interesting to you all. Thank you also for being such a great support and for watching the shows and taking such a keen interest in what I and my colleagues are up to. I look forward to joining you all again on Gransnet. In the mean time, best of luck for 2014. Lots of love, Jules.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Mar-14 14:31:07

Thanks so much Jules for coming in and sharing your stories with us. Hope to have you back again some day!

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:30:28

Shannon1

Hi Jules... seeing as you love the great outdoors would you ever consider having a smallholding/farm of your own?

Yes I would and I'd recommend it.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:27:20

ninathenana

Money no object, I would live a Victorian/Edwardian vicarage set in a largish plot with a view.
What would be your dream property?

I count myself extremely lucky to be living in it. It is very similar to what you describe and I hope we'll be in our home for decades to come.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:25:37

Orangesequins

Thanks for answering my question - obviously I meant other property shows!

I loved George Clarke's Amazing Spaces and I think we've all been inspired over the years by Grand Designs.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:24:25

SuperDog

Loved you on Sport Relief's Top Dog. What was the best bit for you?

The best bit about doing Sport Relief's Top Dog was the look in my Labrador's face when he realised he was going to spend an entire day in doggy Disney Land. He had probably the most exciting day of his 2 and a half year life and slept for a day afterwards.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:22:51

breeeeezy

Hello Jules! Big fan.

What do you think about thatched roofs? I love the look of them but worry about the cost to maintain....

Thatched roofs are like Marmite - you either love them or you're very wary of them. There's no escaping the fact that they do require a little more maintenance than a slate roof. Typically a thatched roof may need renewing every 25-30 years. If you're buying a thatched house, it's reassuring to know that it has been recently re-done, but it's hard to beat the look of them and in many parts of the country, they typify the local architecture. They certainly are not something to be afraid of, but it is worth satisfying yourself about the pros and the cons.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:19:27

cinnamonstix

My family and I are going to the Lake District this Easter. Can you recommend anywhere in particular we can visit? (bearing in mind I'm pregnant and have a 4yo - so no steep hills or long walks!)

Are you sure the Lake District is the right place for your planned holiday this year? Given your situation maybe somewhere a little flatter would be advisable? How about the Pembrokeshire coast? It's beautiful, still gives you access to water, bracing walks and the gentle slopes of the Preselli Hills. Maybe save the Lakes for a time when you can really explore those mountains!

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:16:50

onefiveeight

As a first time buyer (and as someone who can't even put a photo up on the wall), do you think it's overly ambitious to renovating a run down property and making it into our first home? I keep thinking about the money I could save, and the thought of spending £200k+ on a house instead kills me!

I think, as a first time buyer, if you are able to find a wreck that is affordable with enough money left over to renovate it into something that's right for you, I personally would highly recommend that approach because that's what I did as a 25-year-old in mid-Wales. Creatively, it will be one of the most rewarding things you'll do and there's also a good chance that whatever you've spent may turn into an investment in the future as we hope prices will gradually rise, albeit modestly. I'm also a great believer in getting the estimated one million or so empty properties in the UK back into use before we start building more new ones.

SuperDog Thu 20-Mar-14 14:14:35

Loved you on Sport Relief's Top Dog. What was the best bit for you?

Shannon1 Thu 20-Mar-14 14:13:02

Hi Jules... seeing as you love the great outdoors would you ever consider having a smallholding/farm of your own?

ninathenana Thu 20-Mar-14 14:12:09

Money no object, I would live a Victorian/Edwardian vicarage set in a largish plot with a view.
What would be your dream property?

breeeeezy Thu 20-Mar-14 14:09:10

Hello Jules! Big fan.

What do you think about thatched roofs? I love the look of them but worry about the cost to maintain....

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:08:19

JoJo

I’ve got a question about your restoration of old furniture. Where do you get the furniture from? I get an urge for a really strong G&T when Kirstie comes on with her countrify your home or whatever it is. She always manages to find a lovely old bath, or chair or sofa just ripe for reupholstering. All I find in the skips in my area are rusty microwaves and old banana skins.

There are several places that I favour for looking for furniture bargains that could benefit form a new lease of life. An increasing number of charity shops, for example, your local hospice outlets, have dedicated furniture centres and you certainly can't beat a trip to your local auction room.

Orangesequins Thu 20-Mar-14 14:04:35

Thanks for answering my question - obviously I meant other property shows!

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:03:39

iMac

Hello - following on from your answer to goldengirl, where did your love for military history stem from?

I grew up in a military town in Colchester and I've alway had a fascination for all things military. My parents both loved through the war and remember it all too well, and as a kid growing up discussions about the war and its course happened all the time. I think it's very difficult to make sense of the modern world without understanding the calamitous events that shaped, in particular, the 20thC.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 14:01:29

Orangesequins

Hi Jules! I've come over from Twitter...

There are so many property shows out there - which one is your favourite? I do like a bit of Kevin McCloud!

Clearly, Escape to the Country!

theMulberryTree Thu 20-Mar-14 13:58:41

What do you think about new builds? I'm skeptical - they seem small and the interior walls look flimsy...

onefiveeight Thu 20-Mar-14 13:54:30

As a first time buyer (and as someone who can't even put a photo up on the wall), do you think it's overly ambitious to renovating a run down property and making it into our first home? I keep thinking about the money I could save, and the thought of spending £200k+ on a house instead kills me!

JoJo Thu 20-Mar-14 13:51:33

I’ve got a question about your restoration of old furniture. Where do you get the furniture from? I get an urge for a really strong G&T when Kirstie comes on with her countrify your home or whatever it is. She always manages to find a lovely old bath, or chair or sofa just ripe for reupholstering. All I find in the skips in my area are rusty microwaves and old banana skins.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:50:47

SwishySwoshy

Hello! I'm intrigued to know what you think about wind turbines - do you think they ruin the countryside?

Wind turbines can elicit very strong views both for and against. As with all renewable energy forms, we need to strive toward those that are most efficient and have the least impact on the environment. Wind turbines have played an important role in the journey to achieve that but my hunch is that as an island nation, our renewable energy future will ultimately be found at sea and the tides that surround us.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:48:33

threesugars

Hello,
If you hadn't gone into presenting, what else would you most like to be doing?

Good question. I would probably be doing something very hands-on and creative restoring old buildings and making and designing furniture.

froggie Thu 20-Mar-14 13:47:46

Hi Jules. I rarely get the chance to 'escape to the country' (as it were) - being stuck in the city where I live and work. Where can I venture on the weekend that's not too far from London to get a real country feel? I know the surrounding counties of Herts/Surrey/Kent but I don't know the difference between them!

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:47:21

copycat

Hello Jules. Would you ever live in the city?

It's a question many people ask copycat. The short answer is no, but I do enjoy the odd city break, obviously London is a lot of fun and I have friends and a few work commitments there. But if I wanted a city escape, it would be in either Paris or Rome.

JulesHudson Thu 20-Mar-14 13:46:01

merlotgran

Hi Jules,

Are applicants selected because their requirements match properties already researched for ETTC (Shropshire and Devon are often featured) or are the houses found after they have been chosen to appear? Do vendors ever pull out of an agreement to have their homes filmed?

I would like to find out more about the background music to ETTC. I have googled it and it appears I'm not the only one who enjoys it. Is it from a BBC library because I've heard it used on other programmes with a rural theme?

In answer to your question, properties are only selected once buyers have been selected, and the shortlist is tailored to their requirements. As for the theme tune, there was an occasion I believe, some years ago when we supplied a copy for somebody's wedding!