Gransnet forums

Webchats

Jack Monroe Q&A

(13 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Mar-14 15:14:35

Seems many gransnetters are already familiar with Jack Monroe, the brilliant budget food blogger, food poverty campaigner and journalist. Not only is she a freelance writer for The Guardian, The Independent and The Daily Mirror, but her new cookbook A Girl Called Jack has also just been published. We're delighted that she's agreed to do a Q&A for us. If you're trying to cut back but are bored to death of pasta then please add your question to the thread.

janerowena Fri 14-Mar-14 12:22:14

Hello Jack.

I read your blog ages ago, and at the time your son was very young and you could get away with small portions. Did you ever wonder what would happen if you were still just as broke when he became a voracious teen, capable of eating a whole week's food allowance for one meal? Because it's quite scary even for those of us on reasonable incomes!

And will you teach him to cook? I taught mine to, and he can exist on lentils, eggs, beans, onions and mushrooms with added starch and veg very happily, with the odd treat, for less than a quarter of what his uni friends are spending on their ready-made meals.

Anne58 Sun 16-Mar-14 11:19:52

Hello Jack,

What advice would you give to someone on a very limited budget who lives in a rural setting? Our village has 1 shop, very good selection but not cheap, 2 nearest towns are about 7 and 8 miles away, one of which only has 1 bus a week (on market day) from here!

whenim64 Sun 16-Mar-14 11:50:27

When my youngest (strapping 6'5") son was at uni again, just three years ago, he managed to eat on £11 a week when I was spending nearer £30. I learned such a lot from him and can knock up a very cheap meal, but I'd like to learn how to do that continuously, with variety, for a week or a fortnight, when I want to cut right back on spending. Can you recommend some basics to have in the cupboard for such times, Jack? I do cook from scratch and make bread and soup routinely, little is wasted. I always have dried fruit, pulses, nuts, seeds, pasta, rice etc in stock and don't use them enough. Thanks.

vegasmags Sun 16-Mar-14 13:49:30

I do get a bit discouraged with the number of recipes that serve four when I live alone and I have seen that many of your recipes serve two. I find that not all recipes easily scale down, (how do you use a quarter of an egg?) and that when you take away economies of scale, even cheap recipes can work out quite expensive. I am quite good at freezing meals and using up leftovers, but do you have any words of advice for those of us who live alone and have to budget?

inishowen Thu 20-Mar-14 11:32:51

We are a couple both aged 61. My husband loves cooking but he always makes too much. I get fed up eating the same soup for three days. If we buy a whole chicken I end up giving some to the cat as I can't look at it after two days! Sometimes I wish I still had my kids living at home to eat the leftovers. How can I get him to cook less?

JessM Thu 20-Mar-14 22:00:53

Rather large and hungry husband - and one who was brought up on meat and overcooked veg. He's chucked in his job and settling into being a student again, so big budget cut. Any nice veggie recipes that will incorporate a few greens in a surreptitious way and still feel like proper food? (the falafel burgers and coleslaw were a success this week, so there is hope)

MiceElf Fri 21-Mar-14 06:28:11

Any advice on spices? I find that they are expensive unless bought in bulk (I get mine from an excellent shop run by British Indians and selling Indian foods) but they have a tendency to stale - and then are, if not useless, not giving the flavour one had hoped for.

Stansgran Sat 22-Mar-14 09:35:45

I swear by the Paupers cook book wen I want to be thrifty. Do you know this cook book ? If so should I throw it out and buy yourssmile?

Granny23 Mon 24-Mar-14 12:19:36

I notice that you do not include my favourites - oat meal and pearl barley - in your list of store cupboard basics. I use the barley in most soups and as a change from rice, make a mean BarleyBake with roast veggies - cheese on top for veggie DD and some left over meat or sausage added at the end for me. As my cheese allergy rules out many ready meals, I make my own versions and use oatmeal or grated carrot as the 'sprinkle' on top. Any other ideas to replace the ubiquitous cheese on top??

As a student DD invented the oatmeal butty, buying cheapest of bread or rolls and sprinkling a teaspoonful of oatmeal inside with whatever filling - result - it tastes like expensive bread.

Question - are barley and oatmeal as good nutritionally for padding out meals as say lentils or beans?

crocus Tue 25-Mar-14 12:47:54

I know the most cost effective way to eat is to use up all leftovers...but I worry from a hygiene point of view about how long you should keep things after they are cooked. I don't like to eat, say, chicken more than two days after I have roasted it. I don't like using up rice that requires reheating at all. I'd love your take on this

nibbles Tue 25-Mar-14 13:30:04

I know you had a really tough time which is where so many of these good ideas came from. When you look at how things have gone more recently (adverts, books, columns) are you surprised at how dramatically your life has changed?

JessM Fri 04-Apr-14 07:18:02

What happened? Did we not ask enough questions?

I suspect Jack would be happy to answer any questions about what it is like being a lone parent trying to live on benefits and what it is like trying to budget and produce good food for just a few quid a day.
I remember trying to live for a year when I was 22, on my H's mature student grant (we had a toddler). I suspect the grant was rather more generous than todays level of benefits. I never bought bacon - sometimes bacon pieces. If it had not been for Poor Cook it would have been something on toast every day.