Gransnet forums

Webchats

D Day Minute by Minute by Jonathan Mayo

(2 Posts)
Buddie Thu 10-Jul-14 16:04:09

I was one of the lucky members to receive a copy of this book from a recent Gransnet giveaway and I have to say I have found the book fascinating and a real insight into the thoughts and actions of a host of participants on both sides.
My family all come from the south coast with my mother living in Southampton during the war and my father's family around Portsmouth. I had often heard my mother describe the gathering of personnel and equipment both in the streets and on Southampton Common but had never really given much thought as to the feelings of those involved, both military and civilian, as it is so difficult to imagine these things with no direct experience to call upon.
This book has enabled me to put flesh upon the bones of the facts that I have grown up with. Seeing things with the eyes of children, hearing how troops about to embark shared their possessions and even admitted to feeling scared. Reading accounts of men going into action with little or no hope of survival and the sheer foolhardiness of some exploits alongside the feats of supreme courage and self sacrifice puts the actions of leaders on both sides into sharp focus.
We are often told we should write down our experiences for those coming after and I am just glad that someone took the time to interview these people from all walks of life and tell their stories to encourage greater understanding of events for future generations.

Maywalk Mon 21-Jul-14 21:14:01

I was a child during WW2 Buddie and we were bombed out twice and machine gunned twice. I went all through the London Blitz before being evacuated.
When I got to the age of 73 my son said that if he got me a computer and taught me how to use it would I write down all my experiences.

From that I had a website put up that has attracted 23,600 to it so far plus TV and radio.

Its been a very busy time since I had my book put on the market about the first 20 years of my life. I am 84 now and have just had a request from a chappie who is re-issuing the Picture Post magazine and he has asked me for stories and my own poems to put in it.