Gransnet forums

Webchats

Video Q & A with Sir Ranulph Fiennes

(10 Posts)
GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 27-Mar-15 13:18:29

Explorer and writer Sir Ranulph Fiennes will be taking on ‘the toughest footrace on earth’, the Marathon des Sables - all in a bid to become the oldest Briton to ever complete the race and raise money for UK charity Marie Curie. The Marathon des Sables is a grueling six day ‘ultra-marathon’ which covers 251 km in over 50 degrees centigrade heat in one of the world’s most inhospitable climates - the Sahara desert. The money raised will help the charity to provide more free care and support to people living with any terminal illness and their families, across the UK.

Sir Ranulph, who turned 71 this March, is no stranger to physical challenges and is the holder of several endurance records despite suffering two heart attacks, undergoing a double heart bypass, a cancer operation and an on-going fight with diabetes. Speaking about the Marathon des Sables, Sir Ranulph said: “People say I must be mad, especially as I don’t like the heat, but it’s what you’ve got to do to raise money for amazing charities like Marie Curie. The money raised will help people with a terminal illness get the care they and their family desperately need.”

Sir Ranulph Fiennes has already raised £6.3million for Marie Curie.

We're delighted to say we've been offered a chance to ask Sir Ranulph some questions during his extraordinary challenge which he will be answered on video for our snazzy new Youtube channel.

Sir Ranulph added: “I'm looking forward to receiving some interesting questions from Gransnetters whilst I'm in the desert.”

Please add your questions here by 4pm Thursday 4th April.

And if you would like to donate to marie curie to support Sir Ranulph you can do so at Justgiving.

Grannyforward Tue 31-Mar-15 09:57:20

I wanted to ask Sir Ranulph if he has found that he approaches challenges like this differently now he is 71. I wonder whether he is more careful these days especially after a heart attack.
I think he is doing a wonderful thing too for Marie Curie, it's a very very worthy cause.

Grannyforward Tue 31-Mar-15 10:01:24

Oh and also I wanted to know if it was true he blew up a dam in his youth that had been built to film Doctor Doolittle. It seems such an unlikely tale, but perhaps with such an extraordinary life it might possiblyy be true ( hope it is!)

Grannybumble Tue 31-Mar-15 15:28:50

Hi Ranulph, did you have any other career ambitions in your youth? And what inspired you to become an explorer?

Queenie123 Tue 31-Mar-15 15:40:09

Hi Sir Ranulph, so nice to see you taking on this amazing challenge. I was wondering if you have ever encountered any great danger while exploring? Do you get nervous when this happens and if so do you have a strategy for dealing with the nerves/situation? Or are you totally fearless wink ...

AllieGB Wed 01-Apr-15 12:48:30

Hello, can I ask what your training routine for the marathon is like at the moment? Are you on any kind of special diet in preparation?

damson Wed 01-Apr-15 13:11:12

How did you feel once you reached the top of Everest a few years back? did the exhaustion dull the moment, or was it so incredible, all the hard work was immediately worth it?

SuzieB Wed 01-Apr-15 20:10:21

I just want to ask if he will marry me?!

charlie2753 Wed 01-Apr-15 23:16:16

Sir Ranulph have you achieved everything you wanted or have you any regrets about something you could of done in your younger years that you didnt do and can't do now you are slightly older?

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Apr-15 18:42:51

Et voila! Sir Ranulph answers your questions...