Gransnet forums

Webchats

MawBroon Sat 04-Nov-17 09:04:39

A lot of good sense - and not a goji berry or grain of quinoa in sight!

Pittcity Fri 03-Nov-17 19:03:19

Is the old adage "A little of what you fancy does you good" true?

annsixty Fri 03-Nov-17 18:06:22

Yes, a very good article with lots of common sense.
We should stick to home cooked fresh meals, leave the take aways alone and finish with fresh fruit.
I will still have my wine though, that does my mood a lot of good.

Grannyknot Fri 03-Nov-17 16:59:57

Hi Jane, I really enjoyed your article. I don't have any questions for you, just a thank you.

TomGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 03-Nov-17 12:30:17

Q&A - How to eat for a brighter, happier wintertime

Jane Clarke will be answering your questions about diet and its correlation with mental health, and any queries you have on how to improve your mindfulness and physical well-being.

Submissions are now closed.

Jane Clarke

Q&A - How to eat for a brighter, happier wintertime

Posted on: Fri 03-Nov-17 12:30:16

(29 comments )

Lead photo

Jane Clarke

Mental health is a topic that’s been much in the news of late, with many people in the public eye acknowledging that fame and fortune are no protection from difficult times. Even if we’re fortunate enough not to live with depression, anxiety or another mental health condition, many of us will admit to finding life a struggle sometimes. This time of the year can be particularly troubling, when the days are shorter, the weather can be dark and gloomy, and the rush of festivities (Bonfire Night, Divali, Christmas and more) can make us feel overwhelmed or, conversely, isolated. At any time, an event such as bereavement, illness (ourselves or that of a loved one) or a break-in can be the tipping point that turns a generally upbeat mood into a time when we struggle to raise our spirits.

Many of my patients see me as a calm swan; an impartial confidante who won’t judge their fears when they are diagnosed with a serious illness such as cancer, or if they or someone close to them has had a stroke or been diagnosed with dementia. But recently a treasured friend suffered a massive brain aneurysm at the young age of 42 and I’ve been struggling to maintain my equilibrium and positivity. As I explain to my patients, we can often cope with many psychological blows but then there comes a final straw and our body sends out a signal that we need to re-balance. For me, the telltale sign was a change in my sleep pattern. I started waking at 2am and struggled to persuade my body to go back to sleep for another couple of hours. I took out my nutritional, food and herbal remedies, re-engaged with my ballet classes, which I love, and started talking to a counsellor, and now I am sleeping much better and know that above the clouds the sun is shining.

Even if we're fortunate enough not to live with depression, anxiety or another mental health condition, many of us will admit to finding life a struggle sometimes.

I hope that if you are feeling low, you can find someone to talk to and an activity you enjoy that can help pull you out of the dip. Do look at what you are eating, too, as this is often one of the first things to suffer when we are finding it hard to cope emotionally. As John Gunther said, ‘All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast’. And I also love the Jewish proverb that states, ‘Worries go down better with soup’. Below are some quick suggestions and pointers on how to help improve your well-being:

- By changing what we eat, we can influence our moods and improve symptoms such as poor sleep, low energy and disturbed appetite (loss of appetite or a craving for certain foods).

- Nutrition-related factors such as iron-deficiency anaemia and coeliac disease, plus some blood pressure medication, can have mood-lowering effects, so consult your GP to ensure you’re receiving the correct help.

- Lack of B vitamins (found in wholegrains, fish, yoghurt, meat, eggs, fruit and vegetables) and low levels of selenium (Brazil nuts, shellfish, fruits and vegetables) can cause depression.

- It helps to stick to three meals a day plus a couple of snacks, rather than grazing on biscuits and easy-to-grab foods which take away the appetite for a proper meal.

- Think about the flavours you love – my go-to comfort food is a spicy vegetarian curry – so that you look forward to eating. And if you prefer breakfast to dinner, go big on that and have a smaller supper.

- Planning ahead can really help if you’re not in the mood to cook. Writing a menu of meals for the week and shopping for those dishes can save you mental energy.

- Try inviting a friend over. We’ve created the Nourish Afternoon Tea to encourage people to get together over a cup of tea and a slice of cake, or a simple bowl of soup and some bread, as chatting and sharing a meal together is a surefire mood booster.

Do send me your questions and I’ll see if I can share some ideas to help you feel that bit better physically and emotionally. Please go to see your GP if you feel you may be depressed as there are a range of treatments available.

To find out more about Jane's work, visit her website here.

By Jane Clarke

Twitter: @NourishByJane