Gransnet forums

Webchats

Facebook Live with author Katie Fforde at 11am Friday 23 February

(18 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 12-Feb-18 16:26:34

We going live on Facebook once more, but this time with Sunday Times number one bestselling author Katie Fforde! She'll be joining us at 11am on Friday 23 February to talk about her latest book, A Country Escape, and to answer your questions on all things writing, including tips on how to write a novel.

As ever, we'll be taking questions for Katie during the Facebook Live, but please do leave yours below if you can't join us on the day. We'll do our very best to include them in the interview and post a link below so that you can catch up on the session.

Those who like our Facebook page and comment during the Live (or on this thread) will be entered into a draw to win one of two signed copies of her new book. Happy posting!

PamelaJ1 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:20:16

It must be so difficult writing dialogue with accents. I’m reading a book at the moment and the author hasn’t got it right. It’s irritating me so much that I will probably give up. Have you tried it?
I certainly can’t remember your books annoying me so either you got it right or you didn’t try.

Twister Wed 14-Feb-18 15:17:43

Hi Katie, I'd love to know how you plan your novels. Do you only start the actual writing of a book once you have the plot mapped out and you know what's going to happen from start to finish? Or are you more of a 'start writing and see where it takes you' type?

Thank you

mumofmadboys Thu 15-Feb-18 13:27:39

I have read a lot of your novels and enjoy the stories about everyday people and situations. I suppose I see them as feel -good novels. I mean that as a compliment! How much do you use your everyday life in your novels?

ninathenana Sat 17-Feb-18 08:00:17

No questions but just wanted to say I'm a big fan. Your books make me chuckle in one chapter and give me that aaahhh feeling in the next.

gillyknits Mon 19-Feb-18 10:04:03

Do you get your ideas from things that happen around you or people that you meet?

glenda Mon 19-Feb-18 11:37:05

Hi Katie, how long does it typically take you to write a novel?

obag Mon 19-Feb-18 13:24:28

Hi Katie, I really love your novels they are a real pleasure to read, I wonder do you have the plot for the whole story in mind right from the start ; and if so do you ever change your mind mid-novel?

SallySwann Mon 19-Feb-18 14:08:23

You have written so many lovely books full of great characters. I wonder how much, if any, of yourself do you put into your characters?

Granny1sland Mon 19-Feb-18 16:17:40

Love your books. Wish there were more books out there with ‘mature’ heroines!!

gran1 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:21:25

I love your short stories, such as the Christmas Feast volume.
Is short story writing quite as challenging for you as writing a novel?

Mopsx4 Mon 19-Feb-18 18:08:48

What triggers the plots for your books and does the plot evolve as you are writing or is it a clear plan before you begin?

creativeness Mon 19-Feb-18 21:12:39

Love your books. Where do you find your ideas & do you base your characters on real people at all?

patsussex1 Fri 23-Feb-18 09:37:50

Hi Katie,

How do you keep track of all the minor details? Do you have a system in which you file them so you can refer back? JK Rowling is said to have kept index cards!

Bookatbedtime Fri 23-Feb-18 10:36:31

Do you have a particular 'audience' in mind as you begin a new novel?

patsussex1 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:12:11

What do you do when you get writer's block?

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 23-Feb-18 12:50:19

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your questions. Here's a link to the FB Live interview if you couldn't join us this morning. We'll be choosing winners a bit later today.

www.facebook.com/gransnet/videos/1773632312700207/

mumofmadboys Fri 02-Mar-18 06:57:47

Who were the winners?