Gransnet forums

Webchats

Mumsnet webchat with Dr Phillip Lee, LibDem candidate for Wokingham, on Tuesday 3 December at 2pm - add your questions here

(8 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Dec-19 15:04:24

NanaMags

Hi Phillip,

Do you think tactical voting will be a key decider in this election? I feel like I've been hearing more about it than in previous votes.

REPLY FROM PHILLIP LEE

In a First Past the Post democratic system there is always the danger that a government gets a majority with less than 40% of the vote. In this particular election, Brexit is the biggest issue that I've encountered on the doorsteps. It strikes me that if the Conservatives secure a majority with less than 40% of the vote and then proceed to deliver a hard Brexit, or indeed a no deal Brexit, then that will not be what the majority of the Great British public wanted. In such circumstances tactical voting is the only way to prevent such a democratic outrage. In different seats that will mean voting for different parties. In my seat if you want to stop Brexit I would advise you to vote Liberal Democrat.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Dec-19 14:39:46

Windowwood

My question is for you as a politician and as a GP. I don't know whether you have been following all the stuff on Gransnet (and Mumsnet) about the HRT shortage? I am a 52 year-old woman who has been taking HRT for two years so far to alleviate symptoms including severe depression brought on by the menopause. It has been life changing for me, but now I am struggling to get the medication I need (Evorel Sequi) and very worried about what will happen when the supply I have runs out. It took a lot of trial and error and patience from my GP to get a dosage and product which worked for me and so I know that the alternatives which are currently available will not work for my needs. How can we have reached a stage where this and other medications are in such short supply (or no supply at all)? What are you as a party doing about this? And if we do end up with another Tory government and a hard Brexit by the end of the year, how much worse will it get? I am so very worried about it

REPLY FROM DR PHILLIP LEE

There have always been occasional drug supply issues in the system. Particular products can sometimes have production line difficulties for a whole variety of reasons. But there are undeniably some difficulties obtaining drugs as preparations for Brexit take place. Some areas have stockpiled better than others and as a consequence there are some regional difficulties in obtaining some drugs. Without wanting to repeat myself, if we retain frictionless borders with our European allies sourcing and supplying drugs from across the continent will be easier.

(You can find the rest of his answers here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_live_events/3758248-Webchat-with-Dr-Phillip-Lee-LibDem-candidate-for-Wokingham-on-Tuesday-3-December-at-2pm)

Windowwood Tue 03-Dec-19 10:53:03

My question is for you as a politician and as a GP. I don't know whether you have been following all the stuff on Gransnet (and Mumsnet) about the HRT shortage? I am a 52 year-old woman who has been taking HRT for two years so far to alleviate symptoms including severe depression brought on by the menopause. It has been life changing for me, but now I am struggling to get the medication I need (Evorel Sequi) and very worried about what will happen when the supply I have runs out. It took a lot of trial and error and patience from my GP to get a dosage and product which worked for me and so I know that the alternatives which are currently available will not work for my needs. How can we have reached a stage where this and other medications are in such short supply (or no supply at all)? What are you as a party doing about this? And if we do end up with another Tory government and a hard Brexit by the end of the year, how much worse will it get? I am so very worried about it

chellory Tue 03-Dec-19 10:12:55

I will vote LibDem for the first time because I cannot abstain and nor am I prepared to condone what the Tories have done to our country or their stance on Brexit, or the anti Semitism in the Labour party and Corbyn's leadership. But the polls are putting the two main parties closer and closer and it may well be that the Lib Dems will end up forming an alliance with one or other in the absence of a clear majority. Given your stand on Brexit (which I agree with by the way) and the fact that you have candidates such as Luciana Berger who left Labour over the anti Semitism etc, how could you make an alliance with either side work if their principles are so different to what you stand for?

ellasgran54 Tue 03-Dec-19 10:11:01

Why did you party do a total U-turn on university fees? After that, how can anyone trust your stance on Brexit?

NanaMags Tue 03-Dec-19 10:10:52

Hi Phillip,

Do you think tactical voting will be a key decider in this election? I feel like I've been hearing more about it than in previous votes.

oldgoat Mon 02-Dec-19 21:37:58

Do you think, if the situation arose again of the Lib Dems going into coalition with the Tories, that they would renage on their manifesto commitments, just like they did last time and vote with the Tories against welfare benefits?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 02-Dec-19 11:39:46

We’re pleased to announce that Mumsnet is running a webchat with Dr Phillip Lee, Liberal Democrat General Election candidate for Wokingham, and there's an opportunity to put questions from gransnetters to him too. Phillip will be here on Tuesday 3 December at 2pm.

Phillip worked as a doctor at various hospitals in London and the South East before becoming a GP. He continues to practise in Berkshire on a part-time basis.

Elected as the Conservative MP for Bracknell in 2010, he joined Teresa May’s government in 2016 as the Minister for Youth Justice, Victims, Female Offenders and Offender Health. In June 2018 he was the first minister to resign from the government over the direction of Brexit and went on to campaign for a second referendum. In September 2019 Phillip left the Conservative Party and “crossed the floor” in the House of Commons. He now sits as a Liberal Democrat and has been appointed Justice spokesman. Phillip will contest the 2019 General Election as the Liberal Democrat candidate for the Wokingham Constituency.

Please leave your question for Phillip on this thread before 2pm tomorrow and we will ensure that it's added into the mix.