Gransnet forums

Webchats

Taking a picnic out

(24 Posts)
Lilypops Tue 29-Jun-21 09:20:37

I still make up a few batches, crisps and a flask when we go out for the day, I think it’s a throw back to when the kids were small and eating out for five of us was too expensive when you had to add on ice creams, rides etc. Also eating out was not always palatable as well as costing a lot ,
Now I can’t get out of the habit even though we can afford to go in a cafe now there’s just the two of us, Anyone else still do this ?

Shropshirelass Tue 29-Jun-21 09:22:42

Yes, I prefer to take my own food. We very rarely eat out, maybe just have a coffee occasionally which we still regard as a treat.

Redhead56 Tue 29-Jun-21 09:27:33

Yes I still do when we go on a day out somewhere or a rugby match. It is better than the fried junk food on offer at cafes etc.

Chewbacca Tue 29-Jun-21 09:39:35

I much prefer to take a picnic with us when we go out for the day. It's lovely to settle down in a pleasant spot with a lovely picnic, and watch as the family tuck into their favourite foods. Certainly much nicer than queuing up for expensive takeaway fast foods. We're going on a canal boat trip this weekend and the anticipated picnic for on-board is very much looked forward to.

MawBe Tue 29-Jun-21 10:17:06

I always loved preparing a picnic! Whether it was hamper for Glyndebourne (back in the day - nostalgic emoji) or a day out with the girls and the dog.
Home made soup in flasks, a flask of coffee, home made sausage rolls in Tupperware boxes, likewise sandwiches, perhaps flapjack or muffins - always far too much! Crisps especially Pom Bears if there is a small person present, also fruit juice in cartons or water.
Best recently was in a chilly country park before Christmas - celeriac soup, smoked salmon and cream cheese on soya and linseed bread, sausage rolls, chocolate brownies - all eaten at a picnic table with threatening rain but what made it special - with D, SIL and GS who had driven up from London for the only way we were legally able to meet!
When the children were small I would butter and fill sandwiches from a whole loaf of Mother’s Pride then use the wrapper to put them in. It was really satisfying.

Callistemon Tue 29-Jun-21 10:24:03

I did think Yippee when the DC grew up and we could afford to eat out rather than taking a picnic but we had gone back to picnics again with the DGC and, of course, with Covid.

We did have a favourite couple of places we visited with the DGC where the food was reasonable and locally produced, alas one has changed hands and the other shut due to Covid.

ginny Tue 29-Jun-21 11:12:09

We have always loved family picnics and still do.
Even when there are just the two of us we more often than not take one with us. Better than queuing and paying a fortune for an insipid roll or sandwich .
Today we are travelling and have lunch all ready packed to w joy in the way.

travelsafar Tue 29-Jun-21 11:17:27

Ooo a packed lunch for a day trip, yes!!! My sister and i always did this when we use to go out for coach trips.....before covid. We took it in turns to make it so one of us always had a surprise when we opened the lid. One rule, never egg sandwiches especially if we were going to eat whilst on the coach!!!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Jun-21 11:18:16

I love picnics, much much prefer them to eating out on those sort of days which lend themselves to picnicking and not finding a decent place to eat.

Pasties are one of our go to foods plus saffron cake and flask of coffee. But we have a variety of stuff really.

sodapop Tue 29-Jun-21 11:36:51

I remember wrapping the sandwiches in the bread paper as well MawBe. Happy memories.

My daughter loved egg and salad cream sandwiches travelasfar but said no one would sit next to her on school trips. grin

MerylStreep Tue 29-Jun-21 11:48:32

We always make our own food. Simply because ours is better than any you can by. I shouldn’t really say we as it’s my OH who prepares our food.
This is a photo taken from the hide where we bird watch and eat our picnic.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Tree_Island#/media/File:Two_Tree_Island.JPG

Teacheranne Tue 29-Jun-21 12:56:31

I used to take a picnic when out with my children but very rarely take one now, I much prefer to buy something. I don’t like carrying it around until lunch time and don’t really want to eat in a car park to avoid carrying it! Also, I definitely need a chair now, I’d never get up again if I sat on a blanket - something else to carry. I can afford to eat at a cafe nowadays but money was very tight when my children were growing up so picnics were the only option.

I do however enjoy a shared picnic with friends where we all take something to share, there is more variety than if I were to do a picnic for just me and it’s great fun. We might do this at an outdoor concerts or county show.

timetogo2016 Fri 03-Jun-22 16:53:23

We love a picnic with a flask for tea.
Even though we can afford to eat out,but we enjoy our own food and our own company.

Sago Fri 03-Jun-22 16:57:01

Nothing like a picnic, we are keen walkers and always pack a lunch to have en route.
Recently we looked after our grandchildren for a week, they loved having a picnic.

SueDonim Fri 03-Jun-22 17:36:26

No thanks. I’ve made too many packed lunches and picnics over the years to want to do it regularly now. Eating out is one of life’s pleasures for me nowadays. I do buy ready-made sandwiches for long journeys, though, to cut down on service station visits except for coffees.

silverlining48 Fri 03-Jun-22 18:02:38

If we are out fir the day we always lunch in a tea room or pub. A picnic is nice too, but a bit of a pain to carry round until the right time and place is found.

Casdon Fri 03-Jun-22 19:58:57

No, maybe a coffee in a travel mug if travelling a long way, but otherwise use a cafe. I’d rather buy sandwiches at M&S or preferably, at Waitrose, than make them myself if I was going to eat outdoors where there was no cafe. We eat food made at home all the time, why would I want to take it out with me too when there are more interesting choices available?

TillyTrotter Fri 03-Jun-22 20:05:43

I love to pack up a picnic, make a flask, and take it with us. More often than not we go to a National Trust place and they provide tables and benches where we can eat.
It just tastes better in the fresh air than at home.

rafichagran Fri 03-Jun-22 20:22:26

No, I love eating out.

2mason16 Fri 03-Jun-22 20:23:28

After year's of picnics while DH played cricket I love to have lunch out now. We have our main meal then, so after a long walk I can just put my feet up at home!

lixy Fri 03-Jun-22 20:55:19

Picnic mostly for us as then we can eat little and often. That suits me much better than a meal in the middle of the day.
If Gchn are here for a few days then we'll eat out at lunchtime to give us all a treat.
I never have got the hang of making coffee in a flask so that it tastes good. sad

CanadianGran Fri 03-Jun-22 21:53:29

Not very often any more. When the kids were small we would go fishing along the Skeena river, and pack a small cooler with sandwiches, drinks, apples, etc. The kids had trout rods out, and the DH a salmon rod. Very occasionally did we bring fish home, but there was always a collection of river rocks. good memories.

When DH and I are travelling we do pack a small cooler with the same. We have such long distances to drive here, and it makes no sense to sit in a restaurant after sitting in the car.

aonk Fri 03-Jun-22 22:32:34

Picnics aren’t for me. When we go out it’s usually a last minute decision and that means there’s nothing to make a picnic with. I might have coffee or water and maybe a scone or crisps while I’m out. Then I will cook when we get home. I don’t eat much at lunchtime so it’s never a problem.

Kim19 Sat 04-Jun-22 00:25:59

Only picnic I do is when on a train journey. Find my sandwiches are far superior (and vastly cheaper) than those on offer.