Gransnet forums

Webchats

Hopes & dreams versus wider world conversations

(8 Posts)
Birthto110 Mon 01-Jan-24 15:25:53

Wishing for a Peaceful and Healthy 2024, Friendship and Community.

'Happy 2024' messages are ubiquitous..
But in reality it isn't going to be easy for every recipient of a stream of identical New Year messages to focus so completely on the 'happy' smile sentiment, even with the best will in the world. Not when there's just been a family tragedy or loss, such as a son or daughter or grandchild dying - or coping with a devastating diagnosis or illness. Or anyone having to say goodbye to the person they love who is very special and central in their lives. Or losing their home, place of safety or income stream. Or with family caught up in conflict zones overseas.

Sometimes pushing 'Happy....' on people can be downright thoughtless, careless or insensitive. Just saying.

It goes without saying that looking for joyful moments is immensely important...Bowel-babe Dame Deborah James did this so fantastically well. And there is joy and happiness all around in nature and strong community - and hopefully we can find glimpses of kindness, hope and laughter in unexpected places, even in the hardest of times. It's not about being a grinch!
There's so much good in the world. And people who actively campaign to make things better for others. Thoughtful people who go the extra mile and make other people laugh.

I just feel it would be nice if there was more focus on voicing a hope for Peace and Friendship in 2024 (instead of 'happy') , at a time of such enormous conflict, unrest and hardship for such large communities of people.
Anyways - everyone likes a glass-half-full person. Most people probably think today's not the best time and they're probably right. Save it for next week instead!

I just find the disconnect a bit weird.

How much space and acknowledgement do we give to more realistic sentiments and conversations about what's happening in the world/to neighbours right now? Including closer to home with so many people struggling to make ends meet, with grief, or with ill health or unhealth relationships ... with lack of freedom or peace of mind. And to be mindful that 'happy' messages , with no hint of a personal touch - are not the right words for everyone all of the time. hmm

Is this a no-go territory? Or is it because as a society we all feel increasingly powerless to reach out to anyone who is trying to keep themselves or their family on track/balanced/ surviving against the odds/ despite the cards they've been dealt.

We often read about the need to focus on what ''really matters'' in life - but at the same time there's so much glossing over /avoiding the hard bits as if it's boring or just not optimistic enough.

Can't stop wondering how the wider climate will develop in 2024...
Hoping to do lots of different stuff, volunteering etc and art and music, better health, getting into nature, more fresh air, family/friendships, walking in new places etc and to push past comfort zones possibly, learn something new... u3a maybe? (Just found out that u3a has Online Discussion groups for people who want to learn about politics /world affairs or any other topic, so it's not just about in-person local groups).

Interested in your thoughts about balancing personal hopes, dreams and ambitions, alongside wider world conversations.

RosiesMaw Mon 01-Jan-24 17:50:01

You are entitled to your opinion
Personally if I don't hear Merry Christmas or Happy New Year for another 12 months i won't mind a bit.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 01-Jan-24 19:27:06

Too long, deep and heavy for me. Pass.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jan-24 19:57:35

Well that was a bit deep

Oreo Mon 01-Jan-24 20:26:56

There’s nothing wrong , just the opposite really, in wishing anyone a Happy New Year.However bad the previous year has been it’s a wish for a happy time to come.

Oreo Mon 01-Jan-24 20:28:19

I think there’s way too much navel gazing going on these days.

Mogsmaw Mon 01-Jan-24 20:48:56

I know what you are saying. As part of the “ongoing personal development” learning program my work provides I came across a module on “toxic positivity”. It was very interesting and thought provoking.
Doesn’t stop almost every piece of tat we sell having a saccharine message emblazoned on it. The irony is completely lost.
This constant bombardment to “be happy” or “for happy thoughts only”.
No wonder we are living in a (poor) mental health crisis.

Birthto110 Mon 01-Jan-24 22:24:57

Mogsmaw - thank you for considered and kind reply - it's really appreciated . I was just musing that's all- about whether any others felt a disconnect between (on the one hand) widespread conflicts in the world atm / the hardship faced by so many/and the trauma of losing a young son, daughter or grandchild - VERSUS ...(on the other hand) constantly being fed 'happy happy ' wishes when the time doesn't always feel right yet.
But apparently such thoughts are self indulgent. Time to get crafting me thinks! Can't go wrong with a decent ball of wool or a paintbrush. Will listen out on other forums but stick to the viewing gallery only. Best to keep things to oneself.
There's a great poem by Donna Ashworth on this actually ....'hope is they key' . Can't disagree with that. She seems like a very gracious writer. (And if someone's not interested in a post, they find it dull, they can always scroll right past without commenting.)