Gransnet forums

Writers' room

In Falling Snow by Mary-Rose MacColl

(12 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 13-Aug-15 12:01:09

Once again the Kindle daily deal comes up trumps. Well worth a great deal more than the 99p I paid, this is a book to treasure. It relates the true story of Royaumont Abbey near Paris and its use as a hospital in the First World War. It is a work of fiction, but some characters retain their real identities and the basic story is accurate. Under the aegis of the Red Cross the hospital was initiated, refurbished from the semi-ruins and staffed entirely by women, mostly from Scotland, including orderlies, nurses, drivers and skilled surgeons who pioneered ways to combat wound sepsis.

The book encompasses so much that led me onto further research: the role of Australians in the Great War, the suffragette movement and how it responded to the war, Royaumont Abbey itself, but above all the executions of allied troops who were deemed to have shown cowardice.

A book not to miss I think.

Indinana Thu 13-Aug-15 12:09:11

I bought this book on the Daily Deal too. I have to agree with everything you say about it, Luckygirl. It is up there with some of the best books I have ever read. Like you, it prompted me to research into the part Australians played in WWI and to look at Royaumont Abbey too. And yes, those executions - so terribly upsetting.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. It was one of those rare books that part of me wanted to read slowly, rationing it to make it last, but it was so completely unputdownable. I was sorry to reach the end!

JackyB Thu 13-Aug-15 12:21:52

I got this on Kindle Deals, too, and was utterly moved and engrossed. The amazing thing is that it's based on a real place and real people. A good bit of suspense at the end, too, as well as many tearful scenes in the Australiian part of the story.

However, some of the things said by the women and the attitudes of others - both male and female - do seem rather anachronistic. I know that WW1 gave women's rights and women's confidence a big push forward, but I can't imagine that it was talked about so openly at the time.

Although I wondered about it, I didn't do any further research, as you did, Luckygirl, but I've just had a peep at pictures of the Abbey on line - it really is beautiful. I may well make a trip to that part of the world sometime between now and 2018 - possibly when there are events to attend and other sites to visit.

However, on closer reading of the history of the Abbey on its own site, I notice that it stops at 1905 and then continues in the 1930s - What's that about???? The French entry in Wikipedia does give that period a paragraph, however, mentioning that it was the largest British hospital in France.

One thing that I did wonder about is that the mother didn't recognise what was wrong with her son Henry - that was quite clear to me from the first signs of his illness, and she was a doctor!!

However - definitely worth a read - I second the recommendation!

Jane10 Thu 13-Aug-15 12:38:26

Sounds good. Will search for it immediately!

Luckygirl Thu 13-Aug-15 13:23:28

historycompany.co.uk/2011/11/29/the-women-of-royaumont-a-unique-film/

This is interesting.

Indinana Thu 13-Aug-15 14:28:15

Yes, that was interesting. Thanks for the link, Lg

Jane10 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:35:44

Ordered it but no longer a daily deal sad. However I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Aug-15 16:46:28

I was her UK editor in my publishing days - it's a beautiful book! smile

Luckygirl Thu 13-Aug-15 16:50:06

All I can say is that you were a "lucky girl" Lara!

Liz46 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:58:35

Thanks for the recommendation. I have ordered it from the library.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Aug-15 17:32:07

I was Luckygirl grin. She's a lovely woman too. New book out in October I believe.

Indinana Fri 14-Aug-15 20:31:50

I shall definitely be looking out for her new book! Thanks for the tip off Lara smile