Grandad's delicious pumpkin soup recipe from mischief
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 level teaspoon curry powder
1 pint chicken stock
1 rounded dessertspoon tomato purée
1/4 litre Milk
Salt & pepper
Sprig parsley (chopped) for garnish
Handy HintThis soup can be made well in advance and frozen. I make it on bonfire night and freeze it for Christmas. Any size of pumpkin can be used, just amend the rest of the ingredients according to the size.
Method1. Peel the pumpkin. Discard seeds and fibres and dice flesh into small cubes.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan, add onion and cook over low heat until onion is soft (about 10 mins).
3. Raise heat to medium and stir in curry powder and flour and cook for another minute.
4. Stir in stock a little at a time, add tomato puree and pumpkin.
5. Bring to boil stirring continuously, lower heat to simmer, stirring occasionally until pulp is soft (30-40 mins)
6. Liquidize mixture or push through sieve and return to saucepan.
7. Add milk, season and re-heat gently. Add more milk to taste.
Garnish with the parsley