Barbecue flavour rice recipe from Shrimp
Ingredients2 mugs basmati rice
1 tsp salt
1 large onion (chopped)
Small piece red or green pepper (chopped)
1 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
1 tomato (chopped)
2 tbsp raw chicken, in very small pieces (optional – usually only if the rice is to be served on its own as a main meal)
2 – 3 tbsp frozen mixed vegetables
¼ - ½ tsp garlic paste
¼ - ½ tsp ginger paste
Barbecue flavour ingredients: (The more you use, the more intense the barbecue flavour)
1 – 2 tbsp Worcester sauce, or to taste
1 – 2 tbsp tomato ketchup, or to taste
1 - 2 tbsp dark soya sauce, or to taste
1 tsp tomato puree (optional)
2 or 3 drops chilli sauce (optional)
Handy HintCan be served hot or cold.
Method1. Cook rice according to your preferred method, adding 1 tsp salt to water.
2. Meanwhile, fry onion and pepper on low heat till softened. If using chicken, add after a minute or two. Don’t overcook.
3. Next, add tomato, garlic and ginger. Fry till tomato softened.
4. Then add mixed vegetables. Fry till almost cooked.
5. Add tomato purée, Worcester sauce, ketchup, soya sauce and chilli sauce to taste. Mix well and cook on higher heat until reduced a bit.
6. Stir the cooked sauce into the rice and mix thoroughly until rice is completely coloured.