How is your hand-writing these days?
Doing something for the First Time
Damson and apple jam recipe from nanapug
500g cooking apples
1/4 litre water
Granulated sugar (weight to be assessed during cooking)
Handy HintWeigh the empty saucepan so that it is easy to calculate the weight of the puree when you weigh the saucepan with it in. Put the plate you are using to test the "set" in the fridge to hasten the "wrinkle" stage
Method1. Wash and de stalk damsons.
2. Chop up apples leaving skin on
3. Place damsons and water in a very large saucepan and bring to boil.
4. Add chopped apples.
5. Boil gently until fruit is soft and the pips are separating from fruit.
6. Put all fruit through a colander to remove pips and skin, leaving a fruit puree.
7. Weigh fruit puree and add the same weight of sugar (discard pips and skins)
8. Mix sugar in well
9. Bring puree to the boil, and boil gently for about 15 minutes, or until a small amount of jam "wrinkles" a few minutes after being dripped on to a cold plate.
10. While the jam is boiling a froth will form on the surface which should be spooned off and discarded.
11. Also while the jam is cooking, warm clean dry jam jars ready to fill, seal and label.