Chocolate and orange courgette cake recipe from snailspeak
Ingredients300g plain flour
50g good quality cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 eggs beaten
375g golden caster sugar
2/3 tsp vanilla extract
125ml semi-skimmed milk
375g grated courgettes
1 heaped tbsp orange zest
120g chopped walnuts
Pinch of salt
150g icing sugar
4tbsp orange juice
1tsp vanilla extract
Grated white chocolate (optional)
Handy HintI grate the courgettes in my food processor and give them a good squeeze to remove some of the liquid so the cake doesn't go soggy. Fresh orange juice is best for the glaze but juice from a carton especially with 'bits' is fine.
Method1. Grease a 20cm, preferably non-stick, cake tin and preheat oven to 180C / Gas 4.
2. Beat the eggs well (an electric whisk is best for this.)
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and add the eggs, vanilla extract and milk and whisk again.
4. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon directly onto butter and sugar mix and whisk until ingredients are well combined.
5. Gently but thoroughly fold in the grated courgettes, orange zest and walnuts.
6. Pour into baking tin and bake until a skewer inserted into middle of cake comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool and then drizzle with glaze.
To make glaze: combine icing sugar, orange juice and the tsp of vanilla extract. Grated good quality white chocolate on top of the glaze gives it an attractive finish.