Lamb tagine recipe from jackyann
Ingredients1 tin of chopped tomatoes
A pinch of saffron
1 tbsp paprika
1-2 tbsp ras-al-hanouf or 1 tbsp garam masala (or a mix of cumin and coriander)
A pinch of mixed herbs
1 or 2 peppers (chopped)
50g dried apricots (chopped into quarters)
1 tsp harissa (optional)
Extra paprika or chilli sauce (optional)
Samll chorizo or 2 merguez sausages
2 tbsp olive oil
900g (2lb) lamb
1 inch of ginger
1 large red chilli (de-seeded)
4 cloves of garlic
Celery/ celeriac (or any other 'pot vegetable' you have to hand)
Handful of broad beans
Handy HintThis recipe does 900g/2lb cubed lamb, preferably leg. If you use shoulder cook for a little longer, and you will need to remove the fat. This recipe does not work well with fillet because the flavour depends on the length of cooking. For a vegetarian version, use squash and check during cooking time. If I do that, I add extra of the other vegetables as well. This freezes well, and feeds a crowd well. If you can, do get ras-al-hanout - my favourite spice blend, I use it instead of curry flavouring in some recipes.
Method1. Use a heavy-based pan with a lid, heat to medium and add 2 tbsp olive oil, and begin to fry the lamb.
2. Chop and add a small chorizo or 2 merguez, or something similar (if not available use spicy sausages or some bacon and add more spices).
3. Chop and add some 'pot vegetables' eg: 1 onion, 1 carrot, some celery/celeriac if possible.
4. Keep turning the meat & veg, turning the heat down as needed to keep it gently cooking.
5. Finely chop and add:
About 1” ginger
1 large red chilli, de-seeded
4 cloves of garlic
6. Add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, a pinch of saffron. 1 tablespoon paprika, 1-2 tablespoons ras-al-hanouf OR
1 tablesp. gram masala (or a mix of cumin / coriander) and a pinch of mixed herbs.
7. Turn the heat down as low as possible and simmer for about an hour.
8. You may need to stir to prevent it sticking, but do so gently.
9. There is usually enough fluid, but add water if needed.
10. Then add:
1 or 2 chopped peppers
A handful of broad beans ( or a tin of chick peas)
About 50g. dried apricots, each chopped into 3-4.
11. Leave to simmer for about 20 mins. then taste & season. If you like it hot, you can stir in 1 teaspoon harissa OR extra paprika or chilli sauce.
12. Simmer for about another 10 mins, check taste, it will then keep hot until needed – it will keep well for hours.