Cheesy bacon baked potato soup recipe from missleet
Ingredients2 medium russet potatoes (about 225g/1/2 pound each)
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 medium leeks (white and light green parts - sliced and rinsed well)
2 medium clove garlic (minced)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups homemade or low-salt canned chicken broth
4 thick slices bacon (cut into 1cm/1/2-inch dice)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup grated extra mature cheese
2 tbsp thinly sliced chives
Handy HintThink of a loaded baked potato with butter, sour cream, onion, cheddar and bacon. Now picture it as a creamy bowl of delicious soup. Yum! I make this all the time a real favourite in my house.
Method1. Heat the oven to 190C/375F. Scrub the potatoes, pat dry, and pierce several times with a fork. Set them directly on the oven rack and bake until very tender, about 1 hour. Let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
2. Melt the butter in a pot over medium-low heat. Add the leeks and garlic, season and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the broth and 2 cups water. Simmer until the leeks are very tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the bacon over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
5. Cut one of cooled potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh out in one piece from each half. Cut the flesh into 1cm/1/2-inch cubes and set aside.
6. Coarsely chop the potato skin and the entire remaining potato and add to the pot with the leeks. Puree the contents of the pot in batches in a blender until very smooth. Return the soup to a clean pot and reheat over medium low. Whisk together the milk and sour cream and then whisk this into the soup, along with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Stir in the diced potato. Season with salt and pepper Serve garnished with the remaining Cheddar cheese, the bacon bits, and the chives.