Loos - was I wrong?
Family - how to handle this?
Christmas - divorce and kids
Borscht (beetroot soup) recipe from GranLA
Ingredients6 medium-sized beetroots (scrubbed, stalks removed)
2 tbsp olive oil
5 spring onions (white part only, sliced)
1.5 litres (2½ pints) vegetable or chicken stock
55ml (2fl oz) vodka (optional)
Juice of ½ lemon
1-2 tbsp crème fraîche (plus extra to serve)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Handful chopped fresh dill
2 free-range eggs (hard-boiled, chopped - optional)
Handy HintFresh beetroot is sweeter. Failing this, the vacuum packed beetroot is a very good alternative.
Method1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and gently fry the spring onions for 4-5 minutes, or until translucent.
2. Pour in the stock and continue to cook over a low heat to warm through.
3. In a separate lidded saucepan, cover the beetroot with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the beetroot is tender.
4. Drain, allow to cool slightly, then carefully peel and cut the beetroot into rough pieces.
5. Blend the beetroot, spring onion and stock in a food processor until smooth.
6. Add the vodka, lemon juice, crème fraîche, and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Blend again to combine.
7. The soup can be served hot or cold. Stir in a spoonful of crème
fraîche and sprinkle over the chopped dill and hard-boiled egg.
Please login first.