Pumpkin pie recipe from inkypinky
Ingredients750g pumpkin (or butternut squash) which has been peeled and deseeded and cut into chunks
350g sweet shortcrust pastry (home made or bought)
140g caster sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp grated fresh nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs (beaten)
25g butter (melted)
1 tbsp icing sugar
Handy HintYou could always buy a ready made pastry case
Method1. Put the pumpkin or squash in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 mins or until tender then drain it and let it cool.
2. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
3. Roll out the pastry to line a 22cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Chill for 15 mins then line the pastry with baking parchment and baking beans and bake for 15 mins. Then remove the beans and paper, and cook for another 10 mins until pastry is pale golden and biscuity. Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
4. Turn oven up to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 then push the cooled pumpkin through a sieve into a large bowl to make a smooth puree.
5. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, salt, nutmeg and half the cinnamon. Add in the beaten eggs, melted butter and milk, mix well and then add to the pumpkin purée and stir to combine.
6. Pour into the tart shell and cook for 10 mins, then reduce the temperature to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and cook for a further 35-40 mins until the filling has just set.
7. Leave to cool, then remove the pie from the tin. Mix the remaining cinnamon with the icing sugar and dust over the pie. Serve chilled.