Pasta Bolognese recipe from StarryEyed50
Ingredients500g mince (I like a mix of beef and pork)
1 carton/jar passata
1 large carrot, diced
1 large celery stalk, diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 basil leaves, finely chopped (or 1-2 tsp dried basil)
2/3 bay leaves
salt & pepper to taste
Handy HintThe pasta can be reduced to 75g per person and the rest of the sauce can be frozen. The recipe doubles up well for freezing. The sauce also makes a good chilli base.
Method1. Brown the mince in a large, heavy based pan. Once browned, remove from the pan.
2. Using the same pan, add the onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the onion has softened.
3. Add the carrot and celery and continue to cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
4. Add the browned mince and passata and stir till well mixed.
5. Add the basil, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Stir again.
6. Turn the hob to the lowest setting and simmer for 2-3 hours until the liquid has reduced. Stir from time to time to prevent too much splashing.
This can also be prepared in a slow cooker. Simply add all ingredients to pan and cook on Low for 5-6 hours.
7. Meanwhile, boil a large pan of water. Once boiling, add your favourite pasta - fusilli or penne work well as they hold the sauce. Cook the pasta according to the instructions.
8. When the pasta is cooked, drain almost fully and return to the pan. Add the sauce to the same pan and mix. Allow to cook for a further 2-3 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
9. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan if desired.