Transformed - recent changes
Worried - family bereavement
Too old? - lost dreams
Salted caramel apple crumble recipe from louisehutch
IngredientsFor the crumble
35g rolled oats
35g wholemeal flour
20g caster sugar
35g margarine or butter
For the filling
400g cooking apples, peeled, cored and quartered
50g sugar, to sweeten
1 tbsp water
For the caramel
75g best-quality unsalted butter
50g soft light brown sugar
50g caster sugar
50g golden syrup
125ml double cream
1 tsp sea salt
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
2. Peel and core the apples, quarter and cut in to chunks.
3. Put the apples into a pan with the sugar and water.
4. Cook over a low heat on the stove for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat draining any water and place the apple in a small oven-proof dish.
6. Place the flour and oats in a bowl and mix well.
7. Cut the margarine or butter into small cubes and add this to the oats and flour.
8. Mix with your fingertips until it resembles an even crumb texture.
9. Add the sugar and mix through. Set aside while you make the caramel
10. Melt butter, sugars and syrup in a small heavy based pan and let simmer for 3 minutes, swirling every now and again.
11. Add cream and half a teaspoon of sea salt (not table salt!) and swirl again, give a stir with a wooden spoon and taste. Go cautiously as it will be very hot and you don't want to burn your tongue but you do want to see if you need more salt.
12. When your happy with the saltiness let it cook for another minute on the stove.
13. Remove from the stove ready to assemble the crumble.
14. Cover the fruit with the caramel first then the crumble mixture.
15. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until the crumble is golden and the apple hot. Serve immediately with vanilla custard or vanilla ice cream.
Please login first.